Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Chuck Schuldiner: The Pity Party Never Ends

Otherwise, I'm kind of sick of hearing about Chuck either way.

I'm glad you posted this.  Considering all of the talk around here of making ANUS a part of "the bigger picture," I think it's high time the Chuck Schuldiner meme had run its course. 

Otherwise, I'm kind of sick of hearing about Chuck either way.

I'm glad you posted this.  Considering all of the talk around here of making ANUS a part of "the bigger picture," I think it's high time the Chuck Schuldiner meme had run its course. 

Well, it did, back in 2004 or so -- but people keep coming here to raise hell about it. Threads like this rebirth every few months and then disappear. But for people who haven't seen the last cycle, it's hard to tell what's going on.

Well, it did, back in 2004 or so -- but people keep coming here to raise hell about it. Threads like this rebirth every few months and then disappear. But for people who haven't seen the last cycle, it's hard to tell what's going on.

I could be wrong but it seems as if the whole Chuck AIDS thing is pretty well ingrained in the board.  I wouldn't even have responded to this thread if I hadn't had my fill of banter about this ultimately fruitless topic.  My point was that if ANUS seeks to mainstream itself in anyway, letting go of AIDS-bashing propaganda campaigns is probably a step in the right direction.

My point was that if ANUS seeks to mainstream itself in anyway, letting go of AIDS-bashing propaganda campaigns is probably a step in the right direction.

My point is that ANUS isn't actively promoting this and hasn't for years. It comes up because of the past. Do you want the topic deleted?

Re: Chuck Schuldiner: The Pity Party Never Ends
December 14, 2010, 04:56:33 AM
The pity party never ends: 9 years ago to this day Chuck Schuldiner passed away. RIP

He died at 33 just like Jesus..

Indeed. The unprecedented, unparalleled inventor of death metal. Like Jesus.

December 14, 2010, 08:13:38 PM
Ok, what I never forget in my life was with PESTILENCE on the US 90 tour (with DEATH & CARCASS). We played in a place called Fitzgeralds in Houston. The crowd was very aggressive, like they were all on PCP or so. So I was watching CARCASS opening and they were terrified. Standing with their backs against the speakers, playing 30 minutes and rapidly left. CHUCK stood next to me biting his nails and repeating �I�m not gonna play in front of that crowd, man�. I enjoyed myself and told him �hey, we�re playing the most brutal music in the world, what do you expect?�.
So we hit the stage and I cooked the crowd really up haha. Far over boiling point. They were insane. And left �em mad for DEATH.
So DEATH played 1 song, CHUCK got a glass of water over him and quit. They stopped and left.
The promoter came begging to me to enter the stage and play one more time. I told him that I wasn�t willing to clean up Mr SCHULDINER�s shit. So the fans started to tear the place apart. Chairs, tables, pieces of the balcony. Everything was flying. And outside? About 20 police cars, a helicopter, crazy cops and Metalheads.
It was a complete riot. Later on I found all kinds of things on stage. Knives, ashtrays, bulletholes in the walls.
Quite a memorable night in Texas haha.

DT (Roxana): Do you like DEATH? What is your opinion about CHUCK SCHULDINER both as person as much as musician?
Martin van Drunen: I like their first and a bit of �Leprosy�. The rest weren�t that good I think. �Scream Bloody Gore� is a Death Metal classic every fan should have. Just like the demos. Killer material.
CHUCK however wasn�t a sympathetic man. I got to know him on the US tour and I never liked the guy. Very unpredictable. He canceled shows for no reason. Treated bands, fans and roadies often like shit. In the end his roadies LOUIE and WALT (where the hell are you now guys??) were sleeping in our van coz they couldn�t stand his company, that says it all. Therefore his death meant not much to me.
He wrote some killer songs in the beginning and he had a good voice too, but later on he lost it all.
Everybody�s always talking about CHUCK. But nobody remembers FRED from French MASSACRA. Now for that man I would do a tribute. A nice man and friend. A 100% Metalhead. Never forgot he puked all over my toilet haha. Bonjour, FRED, RIP. This glass is to you........

http://www.deaththrasher.com/dtinterviews/vaNDRUNEN_eng.htm

You know, that says it all. Fred Death > DEATH. MASSACRA > DEATH. DEATH is just popular like PANTERA because they're American and accessible yet, you know, "hard."

December 14, 2010, 10:27:18 PM
Pantyweara would be Peak Thrash, just prior to crossing over the DM threshold - but that's where the underground is, an incomprehensible place so best play it safe and stay out. Plus, yeah they were accessible too. They toured with radio friendly Skid Row for example.

December 15, 2010, 07:05:29 PM
Share this with your Facebook-using, metal-listening friends and family:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chuck-Schuldiner-is-not-the-Metal-Christ-He-was-a-huge-prick/136916489699467

December 15, 2010, 11:46:19 PM
It appears that even most "typical" metalheads are becoming less and less concerned with Schuldiner, both as a musician and savior / martyr.

December 16, 2010, 07:33:15 AM
It appears that even most "typical" metalheads are becoming less and less concerned with Schuldiner, both as a musician and savior / martyr.

'Cause he was just a meaningful contributor, not an actual innovator of a lot. I guess people are realizing that more? I have nothing personal against Chuck but Death needs to be recognized for what they are, an A- band (at least up to/including "Human" in my book), not an A+ band like early Incantation or Demilich or early Pestilence.

NHA

So how much did the hospitals make by selling him false hope and a slow death?

English isn't my mother thong, so I listen more to the music than focus in the lyrics, so I like until the Human album. Have some great riffs across all 4 albums. But Death is not the only band in the world.
Support music, not chuck

This. A thousand times this.