Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The only true comedy is satire

The only true comedy is satire
October 01, 2007, 11:34:38 PM
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/H._L._Mencken/

George Carlin will make you laugh. Mencken will make you laugh your way into insight. There's no way I'm going to compare the two. George Carlin is another piece-of-shit product of this modern time, and he has no solutions. Mencken is a hero. Anyone who doesn't see this is of a lesser spiritual race.

For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.

Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good.

In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell.

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.

Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.

The men the American public admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth.

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of truth--that the error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is cured of one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one.

Re: The only true comedy is satire
October 01, 2007, 11:41:38 PM
So long as somebody gets a laugh out of it, what the fuck?
-- Frank Zappa

My personal satire hero

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/quotes/zappa.html

And how about Nietzsche, wasn't he an enormously satirical person?
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

Re: The only true comedy is satire
October 02, 2007, 12:51:23 AM
So long as somebody gets a laugh out of it, what the fuck?
-- Frank Zappa

I thoroughly enjoyed The Real Frank Zappa Book when I read it, although I find his music insipid except the solos (like most jazz). It's one of the few rock-related books I enjoy, along with I Me Mine and Are You Morbid?.

Zappa's stuff is more advanced than Carlin or Hicks, not yet as advanced as Mencken or Nietzsche. I like his attitude however.