Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Before we go much further

Before we go much further
October 03, 2007, 05:02:45 PM
What does the Chasm mean to you?

I think it's suppose to be a free area to talk about other things that interest us.

What it is turning into is a room people go to make all matters of life a matter of elite judgement.  "here's some things you aren't allowed to do" or "here are things you can do that we won't say is stupid" or even more lame, "this is something I like to do.  is it ok?"

It's no one's fault in particular.  I just think it's the way things are going to be for a while.

Divus_de_Mortuus

Re: Before we go much further
October 03, 2007, 05:08:54 PM
Truth.

chrstphrbnntt

October 03, 2007, 05:53:26 PM
A place to share life experiences and know more about the person behind the moniker. If I wanted to be told how to live my life, I'd go to a workshop or self-help seminar — and if I wanted to read ramblings about what's wrong with modern society and people, I'd be reading the works of a philosopher. I don't think that is this category's purpose.

K

October 03, 2007, 07:57:34 PM
The description is to talk and relax. so far, it is about as relaxing as swimming with a monkey strapped to you.

October 03, 2007, 08:54:38 PM
It could be Prozak and Kontinual throwing us a cesspool to swim in whilst they sit up high and laugh in their coveted "53|<|-3+ |=0|r|_|/\/\." Also note the simultaneity of the deletion of "Moron" with the advent of this sub-forum.

October 03, 2007, 09:18:44 PM
What it is turning into is a room people go to make all matters of life a matter of elite judgement.

People who don't feel elite see it as elitism, but I see a lot of what's going on here as an attempt to pull away from a diseased society and forge a new life.

And then some people come in and start talking about all the usual crap, the movies they watch and the games they play, the things they buy... the dumps they took.

I'd like it to return to the idea of Satan cast out of Heaven re-inventing Hell as a new kingdom of sanity, since Heaven was decadent and pointless.

Well, society is decadent and pointless... we need to reinvent. You're not going to do that by watching moronic George Carlin videos, spending your time playing video games, or doing other peon activities.

You may call it elitism, but I call it a refusal to be dragged down by your lower standards.

I think the purpose of the Chasm is for us to re-invent ourselves and decide whether we're going up or going down.

So far, what I find disappointing is that this kind of behavior is tolerated:

"You don't know much about music, do you?"

"Zoos? LOLZ, faggot. Kill yourself."

Attack the idea, or the abstraction, but fighting between posters is really stupid.

Divus_de_Mortuus

October 04, 2007, 09:05:15 AM

Attack the idea, or the abstraction, but fighting between posters is really stupid.

You say that, but I suspect that stems from the fact that there is less tolerance for you here these days than a Jew amongst a group of real Hessians circa 1939.

The idea of making this place our miniature version of Hell, sure, whatever. I would rather bullshit and relax with other metalheads. You have hyper-tension.

October 04, 2007, 02:31:08 PM
... we need to reinvent. You're not going to do that by watching moronic George Carlin videos, spending your time playing video games, or doing other peon activities.

I'm doing it by getting top qualifications at college then going to a university (hopefully one of the very best in the country) for a degree in Politics Philosophy and Economics. If I want to spend my time outside of curricular activities doing useless shit to avoid burnout, I am going to do useless shit.

October 04, 2007, 06:39:43 PM
Odd how he decided to just pick on one word from my entire post.  I guess I should have known better.  The word "elite" always falls on sesitive ears on the internet.

So remove it then.  What bugs me about this is that people are creating a list of rules to follow much like lame psuedo cultures like punk did before.  On this board we praise originality in music and sticking to one's values and yet we try to put eachother all in the same cage.  

Complacency will only cause your minds to rot. Cultivate yourself and stop living by the rules of those who you think are above you.