Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Final Bathory albums

The Final Bathory albums
October 03, 2007, 05:21:54 PM
The Nordland duo, I have never listened to.  I was wondering what I should be expecting.  Should I be expecting the return to Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart, that I have been told about, or should I expect Monotheist?  

All I know of it is that is was part of a planned 4 album series that was never completed.  I never bothered with it because, in honesty, I didn't want to get my hopes up and there were other albums that I needed at the time.

Re: The Final Bathory albums
October 03, 2007, 05:46:58 PM
Haven't bothered with anything past Hammerheart; I really didn't want to ruin my perception of the man's music.

Bathory's third-fifth albums are all masterpieces in their own unique ways and I highly doubt he ever topped Hammerheart.

In other news, I listened to Goatlord for the first time just now, and if this isn't the silliest fuckin thing I ever heard from Fenriz & co.! ;)

October 03, 2007, 05:56:58 PM
Imagine Hard Rock being mixed with Blood on Ice and with a new ''purified'' sound.

Sounds like shit, but still have it's good moment (very rare if we compare to old stuff).

October 03, 2007, 06:08:11 PM
In other news, I listened to Goatlord for the first time just now, and if this isn't the silliest fuckin thing I ever heard from Fenriz & co.! ;)

It isn't bad, but it could not exist and it would never make a difference.  It was the last time Darkthrone was an experimental band, unless their goal later was to experiment with how basic they could make Black Metal.

October 03, 2007, 07:53:53 PM

It isn't bad, but it could not exist and it would never make a difference.  It was the last time Darkthrone was an experimental band, unless their goal later was to experiment with how basic they could make Black Metal.

Von has everyone beat there.

And yes, it was quite experimental. Definitely lower in quality than Soulside Journey. It also seemed like a bit of a cash-grab, seeing as they slapped on the vocals a few years after discarding it.

K

October 03, 2007, 08:11:28 PM
The Nordland duo, I have never listened to.  I was wondering what I should be expecting.  Should I be expecting the return to Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart, that I have been told about, or should I expect Monotheist?  

All I know of it is that is was part of a planned 4 album series that was never completed.  I never bothered with it because, in honesty, I didn't want to get my hopes up and there were other albums that I needed at the time.

Don't expect either. Its to rock'n'rolly to be a blood fire death. The closest previous album I can think of is blood on ice, but even then. It is purely viking rock, uses line-bridge-chorus structures mostly. Its more folksy than anything Quorthon had ever done.

I haven't heard goat lord yet, but the worst dark throne album would have to be plague wielder, it is worse than even the cult is alive and NWOHBM I was so hopeful after hate them, but they didn't deliver.

in basicness, ildjarn isn't far behind von.

October 03, 2007, 11:17:27 PM
The Nordland duo, I have never listened to.

Don't.

October 05, 2007, 08:02:23 PM
Monotheist was about half-good, like the new Profanatica is half-good. I mean that about half of the riffs or songs are good.

Later Bathory is half-good in that he's halfway to a concept, but then mixes in some shit to try to be more popular than the bands ripping him off. It doesn't work. "Nordland" is total garbage.

From Bathory, I like:
Hammerheart
The Return
Blood, Fire, Death

There are good bits here and there in the rest but I don't really want to listen to them.

October 05, 2007, 11:36:18 PM
I presume you didn't listened to Twilight of the Gods didn't you ? Saying that it's just ''a bit'' good is something I find really bizarre.

October 08, 2007, 07:01:20 AM
From Bathory, I like:
Hammerheart
The Return
Blood, Fire, Death

There are good bits here and there in the rest but I don't really want to listen to them.

Surely you cannot mean to say you find Under the Sign mediocre? It is so much more well formed, thought out and thematic than The Return.

October 08, 2007, 09:11:25 AM
Is Destroyer of Worlds worth a listen?

October 08, 2007, 12:19:03 PM

The biggest mistake with Goatlord was that Darkthrone, at the last minute, decided to add vocals to what otherwise was a demo for a path they decided not to take. Fenriz has admitted as much.

If you remove those hilarious vocals, you have a quite interesting take on a death/black hybrid that not many people at the time attempted.

October 08, 2007, 05:27:43 PM

The biggest mistake with Goatlord was that Darkthrone, at the last minute, decided to add vocals to what otherwise was a demo for a path they decided not to take. Fenriz has admitted as much.

If you remove those hilarious vocals, you have a quite interesting take on a death/black hybrid that not many people at the time attempted.

Well it was never a secret that they did that.

I never saw it as a cash grab by the way.  I just saw it as yet another "punk rock" statement that the two of them are prone to make.  Like I said, the album isn't bad, but you leave the listening experience with nothing that you didn't come in with and it isn't anything interesting by any means.  Just weird music for fans of all things Darkthrone, which I am not anymore.

October 08, 2007, 08:06:06 PM
Is Destroyer of Worlds worth a listen?

not really

October 09, 2007, 04:10:09 AM
Destroyer is probably the worst Bathory album in my opinion, it's generally the only one I can't get through at all.