Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Origin and purpose of the universe?

Re: Origin and purpose of the universe?
October 10, 2007, 10:02:08 PM

I would have agreed with this earlier in life, but I think I have realized something; some questions don't have answers.

Did the people of da Vinci's time not think "flying machines" were a preposterous idea?

We may never know "the eternal," or anything beyond the seams of the Universe, but is that any reason for defeatist inaction?

October 10, 2007, 10:47:21 PM
The Big Bang must be understood as an event occurring in tandem with a Big Crunch. The universe has no physical origin. To that end, modern physics is incapable of determining what happened prior to the initiation of the current manifestation of the universe, of course, but if we compare this mechanism to the function of a piston, which relies on a compression of forces before rebounding to accommodate maximum volume in the chamber, then we can deduce that there must have always been a preceding impetus. As gravitational relationships change with the expansion of our universe, energetics suggests that the next Big Crunch will be characterized by the change from a net "redshift" to "blueshift" in telescopic analyses of cosmological bodies. This is the flowering of possibilities of manifestation, this is eternal recurrence.

If you are looking for origins, my friend, seek elsewhere.

September 27, 2010, 05:34:56 AM
If origin is a stage within a universe cycle, purpose would encapsulate the cycle overall. Expansion and contraction are other macro stages until the big crunch. A recent news article has set our sights on the likelihood of a multiverse, or many parallel universes, with each not necessarily at the same stage at the same time. A universe would be bounded by a region where none of its energy, like light and gravity has yet pushed into to intersect with the energy from a neighboring universe.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

September 27, 2010, 05:45:47 AM
Hey, man, we live in fluid. We are all just ripples of the ocean. CRUNCH. And the other ripples are just floating through. BANG. Another ripple goes by. Stones strike forth falling and falling. - Nuclear Physical

Follow the sign of the Pentagram.
Nobody has freedom. In fact, everybody has freedom.

September 27, 2010, 06:57:42 AM
Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can explain the current theory best but hasn't the biggest argument against the Big Crunch been that the universes increasing acceleration would render the possibility of gravity reversing the process impossible, unless some unforeseen dark energy process is at work?

Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

September 27, 2010, 05:14:38 PM
It strikes me that the largest issue facing those who attempt to theorize about the origin and nature of our universe(s) is that they must use an incomplete understanding as a basis.  Too much must simply be presumed.

All that is accomplished, in the end, is that we are for a time appeased that language can contain our curiosity, that we have arrived at some satisfactory means of explanation.  Yet the feeling never subsides that all of this is projection, and that is is projection essentially because it can be nothing else.   Our theories regarding the origin and purpose of the universe are nothing but a branching out from the individual, hopelessly grasping at all he can find, to create a theoretical assemblage.

It's interesting, nonetheless... sorry if my post was pointless; carry on with the discussion!

September 27, 2010, 06:27:22 PM
In other words, the Big Bang created "space" but also "time" at the same time,
The Universe is an unraveling of a chain of cause and effect. Nothing is left to chance, as all is predetermined by the previous "moment". The Universe knows no time because it always is. Humans are ephemeral and unable to perceive things in totality, so they invented time because of their contingent relationship to the flux of matter around them.

September 27, 2010, 07:22:42 PM
The Universe is an unraveling of a chain of cause and effect. Nothing is left to chance, as all is predetermined by the previous "moment". The Universe knows no time because it always is. Humans are ephemeral and unable to perceive things in totality, so they invented time because of their contingent relationship to the flux of matter around them.
Quantum mechanics would like a word with you.

September 27, 2010, 07:23:41 PM
Ya, well my fantasy football team is undefeated and I am the highest scorer in my league. Maybe I'll stick to that.
Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

September 27, 2010, 10:22:26 PM
OMG what a thread!

There's no doubt that lots of lines can be written when someone feels like opening such discussions with either 2 puerposes:

- to expose his newfound truth
- to findout anything on other's thoughts

but its useless, believe me guys