Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Good Quotes

Re: Good Quotes
November 24, 2007, 12:08:33 AM
I have told you much, you remember too little, Friends betray your trust: Already I see the sword of my friend, A blade dripping with blood...

Taken from: The sayings of Grimnir (Grimnismal)

AttheGates1996

November 24, 2007, 02:36:29 AM
"Inaction is as evil as an evil action."

This is a very bad quote. It is an attempt of persuasion to make one act in a way that the other is pressuring them to do. It's like saying that anyone who remains neutral is evil. It reminds me of a Christian quote I once heard: "Saying no to Jesus is like saying yes to hell." It's wrong, one does not HAVE to take a side in life.

November 24, 2007, 04:34:59 AM
I don't think it is a bad quote. The Christian quote you brought up forces people into a false dichotomy, with all the interpretation for the one the one who spouts the quote, the other makes no paths for anyone. It simply states that an inaction can have consequences as strong as an action. It does not mean that the refusal to act is evil.

November 25, 2007, 02:24:19 AM
Here is an old sicilian saying:

Cui pecura si fa, lu lupu si la mancia.

Who makes himself a sheep, will be eaten by the wolf.

November 25, 2007, 03:27:26 AM
Here is an old sicilian saying:

Cui pecura si fa, lu lupu si la mancia.

Who makes himself a sheep, will be eaten by the wolf.

Care to elaborate on  exactly what it means?

November 26, 2007, 01:17:15 PM
isn't it all to simple?

Wolves eat sheep. If you become a sheep wolves will hunt you.

On a deeper level, maybe its saying that one who follows the herd like a sheep will have to face the consequences of herd behaviour.

November 26, 2007, 01:42:02 PM
It makes sense when you refer to sheep and wolves but I cannot replace the subjects without anything else. I can tell it has to do with feigning weakness but does it mean if you do so you get bullied? So say you pretend to make her house easy to rob and it gets robbed. Is that what it means?

November 26, 2007, 02:39:23 PM
Yes, when you act like a sheep, you are bound to be eaten by the wolf. Stand up for yourself and dont let anything get in your way!

November 26, 2007, 02:45:06 PM
Mancia picca e campirai, parra picca e 'nzirtirai, spenni picca e arricchirai.

Eat little and you'll live, speak little and you'll get it right, spend little and you'll become rich.

November 28, 2007, 11:45:52 AM
A good quote i heard some time ago:

"Those who do not heed the words of the old, do not reach old age"

It's not the accurate quote since I paraphrased it from my memory, also pardon me but I don't remember the author of it.

November 28, 2007, 11:08:26 PM
"We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." Werner Heisenberg

"Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something."