Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Panterrible

AttheGates1996

Panterrible
October 08, 2007, 04:19:48 PM
My previous topic telling my opinions about a certain band seems to have been taken off the forum or some gay shit like that so I'm going to fuckin post it again.

My opinion on ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?:

For such a long time now I've been criticized and insulted for disliking and even hating ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. First and foremost, I'd like to know everyone else’s opinions. But in this post, I will also defend my opinion.

First off, I think everyone here knows that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? were some gay fags in the 80’s and I do not hold it against them that their appearance was gay, this is simply about their music. Honestly, I think that the best ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? music was written in the 80’s because it was true… it was true to who they are and the real genre they intended to be. Obviously the band began to change when phil anselmo joined. However, he completely ripped off Exhorder’s vocalist’s (Kyle Thomas) style. If anyone disagrees then… you’re in denial… even my friends who criticize me constantly for disliking ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? have told me that while listening to Exhorder, without knowing what they were listening to, have told me “this guy sounds exactly like phil anselmo.”  This, alone, is a main reason to not take ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? seriously as musicians. It’s like they took Exhorder’s sound and completely turned it into sellout metal… it’s complete fucking blasphemy. I mean come on, to turn your on music into sellout is one thing, but another GOOD band’s sound?... fuck ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. Another reason I hate ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is because they are so ridiculously overrated. And at first, I can’t hold this against the band… It’s not their fault… or is it? Maybe if phil wasn’t so fucking drunk all the god damn time telling his fans “We are real metal and the best metal band ever!” then people wouldn’t be brainwashed to sellout metal. My analogy of this would be Jesus convincing people he’s the son of god and would rise after his death when he was simply grave robbed from the tomb by his disciples and merely buried in the family tomb where uncovered somewhere around 1980. I swear… the stupid shit people believe…

Dimebag’s skills were questionable to me. While it was obvious he is a great instrumentalist, he was not so much of what I would consider a “musician.” He was a fast soloist but lacked writing one riff that I found sounding good. Although this is a matter of opinion, I can’t comprehend why the hell any metal band after the 80’s would base an entire damn metal song off a jazz scale. And it is even more beyond me why the hell you put a stupid triplet swing on metal. It’s like a collaboration between swing, blues, jazz and metal… sounds like shit to me.

Here’s another claim that I know I’ll get bashed for, but that’s nothing new. My friends who criticize me also hate Metallica, and we are constantly arguing about them also. Well, not quite arguing, but it is a two versus one debate in which I’m against two drunks. Anyway, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? going from playing hair/glam metal to acting like they’re badass and playing nu metal shit is just as bad, if not worse, of a sellout then Metallica’s Black Album and Load. At least Metallica stood behind what they did. For god’s sake, the record company that recorded cowboys from hell demanded the rights to their previous four albums only so they could hide them form the world… truly the saddest thing I’ve ever heard.

And I have one more closing statement, and I swear with my life this is the damn truth. I disliked ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? BEFORE I figured out all of the previous information I posted. And that, my friends, is not a coincidence… knew from the start these guys were gay.

chrstphrbnntt

Re: what the fuck
October 08, 2007, 04:44:43 PM
Do you really think it was a good idea to post it again? Perhaps contacting an administrator asking why it was deleted would have been a smarter thing to do. Then you wouldn't make such a fool of yourself.

October 08, 2007, 09:48:31 PM
Dimebag did not write a single memorable riff? You truly must be a fucking ignoramus.
Listen to Far Beyond Driven.
self-improvement is for the weak.

AttheGates1996

October 08, 2007, 09:49:16 PM
That's really not the point of this topic. I simply wanted what i previously had posted to be responded to.

AttheGates1996

October 08, 2007, 09:51:00 PM
Dimebag did not write a single memorable riff? You truly must be a fucking ignoramus.
Listen to Far Beyond Driven.

I have. It sounds like everything else they've ever written.

October 08, 2007, 10:01:10 PM
It is hard for a metal head who have previously listened to Amorphis or any hot shot death metal band to appreciate the modest charms of ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?'s third (or seventh if you include the hair metal albums) but I believe it goes up there with Danzig's 4 record.
Anyway, Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are indeed overrated and I also fuckin hate Anselmo's macho posturing antics. I also fuckin hated their home videos.
self-improvement is for the weak.

October 08, 2007, 10:20:07 PM
It sounds like everything else they've ever written.

With more chromatic intervals.

I agree with everything you've written about ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. They are a boiled-down version of Metallica and Exodus (with high doses of Prong and Exhorder) that is there to appeal to the lowest common denominator fan.

I will add that this is not immediately obvious, and they are not talentless or lacking in musical education. On the contrary, they are better educated and more conventionally proficient than almost all death metal bands. However, they lack taste and any vision of art, or of life as meaningful, so they make this angry frustrated music to let you get it all out before you pass out in your vomit and wake up for another day of your soulless, underpaid job stocking frozen foods in warehouses.

In short, it's music for people who have already given up on life and their own brains. It's comfortable, not challenging. It reinforces your ego, your masculinity, your need to drink beer and be nobody. Do you wanna be a fucking prole? Then by all means listen to a hunka shitload of ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?.

Re: Panterrible
October 09, 2007, 10:03:58 AM
Some of the "soulless, underpaid" ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? fans with no life and no brains.

Tomy Iommi , Rob Halford , Lemmy, Kerry King..

What if a band wants to play music just for the fun of playing it ? they can't.. ? It is not artistic enough just because they don't sing about Anti-Christianity and they don't use scales apparently not meant for slackers ? People should stop thinking too high of themselves.

and about the fact that dimebag was not a great musician - it's all subjective. To me he was one of the best 'feel based' player. You don't like him? Fine. Good for you.. But just because you don't like him doesn't mean that he sucks and just because I like him doesn't mean that he is a guitar god either. It's all subjective. I've seen people who prefer Michael Angelo Batio over Steve Vai. Their cup of tea , I'am fine with it.

October 09, 2007, 01:03:34 PM
Unfortunately you can't rely on artists to also be decent critics. Artists often begin their quest for art on an urge to do something to the world, or with something in mind to present to them. Once they burn this out, they have nothing else to add and fall into mundane territory, and praise those who are doing the same.

A band can make shit music all they want, and equally so can we criticise it all we want.

October 09, 2007, 03:09:10 PM
I was into punk in high school but eventually realized that some metal bands played fast... ::)  So I bought ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?'s "Far Beyond Driven" and Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" on the same day back when I was 17.  I became pretty much obsessed with Ride the Lightning, but to this day I don't think I've made it all the way through Far Beyond.  Go figure.  It's JUST - NOT - GOOD.

October 09, 2007, 03:41:35 PM
So, basically what you're saying is what you don't like and don't appreciate = shit music and what you like = great music? Meganerd, just because you haven't listened to the album in it's entirety doesn't mean it sucks. I've listened to it countless times, does that make it good then? Well ofcourse, from your perspective I'd  be a complete soulless,brainless , lifeless idiot who listens to ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? just to feed my ego and to comfort myself, wouldn't I  ?

I see.. So artists aren't good critics, but somehow we have the credentials enough to dictate what is good and what is bad music. And not only that, we can also make sweeping comments about their fans as well.

There's is no doubt that a good chunk of ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? fans consists of a  countless number of unsophisticated drunk hicks with nothing better to do with their life. That's why one of them got shot. But judging a band based on one type of their fans is ridiculous.

October 09, 2007, 08:46:03 PM
What if a band wants to play music just for the fun of playing it ?

and about the fact that dimebag was not a great musician - it's all subjective.

I don't agree that this is a meaningful way to treat life. If an insane person wants to listen to the sound of feces being thrown against walls, is that equal?

Back to reality. You're out of your mind on a drug called selfishness. Some music is better than other music. Some music is designed for morons. You don't want to admit it.

A hint to the unwary - musicians need to kiss ass among their buddies, because it's a business deal for them. You need allies and tourmates and labelmates, and so anytime you see a musician praise another band, be wary.

October 09, 2007, 11:16:50 PM
What is the meaningful way to treat this meaningless life then?

The irony in you calling me selfish is just fucking amusing. You say you know the right music from the wrong. You say your type of music is the good music and other music are made for morons. And then I'am Selfish.I'am the one not being open minded enough. Interesting.

I totally agree with you that some music are made for morons. But who is to decide? How come all of a sudden YOU have the authority to decide what is Good music and what is Bad music and enforce the good music, as you perceive it, upon others?

I was not trying to say in any way that because Kerry King and the likes praise ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? , it must be good. The idea of good music and bad music is subjective and  this sir is the fact that YOU don't wanna admit.

AttheGates1996

October 09, 2007, 11:31:00 PM
The idea of good music and bad music is subjective

True, it is mostly opinion but as evidence towards ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? being worthless you have to look at the facts... they are a sellout metal band who abandoned their originality to simply look badass and make money. everytime dimebag hit a few power chords and pinch harmonics he became that much more overrated simply because his amps distortion sounded good. he plays ridiculously fast solos but people dont realize that they sound like crap compared to a true musicians solos.

to consider ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? a band of musicians you would simply have to be in denial about the truth.

October 09, 2007, 11:39:50 PM
What is the meaningful way to treat this meaningless life then?

The irony in you calling me selfish is just fucking amusing. You say you know the right music from the wrong. You say your type of music is the good music and other music are made for morons. And then I'am Selfish.I'am the one not being open minded enough. Interesting.

I totally agree with you that some music are made for morons. But who is to decide? How come all of a sudden YOU have the authority to decide what is Good music and what is Bad music and enforce the good music, as you perceive it, upon others?

I was not trying to say in any way that because Kerry King and the likes praise ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? , it must be good. The idea of good music and bad music is subjective and  this sir is the fact that YOU don't wanna admit.

In your case, being "open minded" seems to equal being tolerant of shit. Your only argument throughout this thread is that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is not bad because our enjoyment of their music is subjective. Let me quote an old post from B4B that I highly enjoy (and if you get it, you might too)

"Everything is subjective, and nothing is. Your existence? Subjective. Your influence? Subjective. Your experience? Subjective. Your death? Objective. Subjective/objective distinctions are a word game based on the difference between body and mind, grow out of it."

ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is shit for a number of musical reasons that have been covered on this board and elsewhere on this site to exhaustion over the last couple of years. Please use the search function and revel in the details. If you're trying to liken ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? to other bands held in higher esteem on this site, you're obviously clueless about the purpose of this site, which is to promote ART over mediocrity. While some of the other bands mentioned on this thread eventually lost their art in favour of  producing rubbish, they once produced great works that are benchmarks in metal. ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, on the other hand, were never great, because they never really were metal in any sense of the word. Ability to play instruments has very little to do with that. That is the purpose of this thread. Quit being so self-obsessed and try and understand that. In any case, the approach you've taken isn't going to convince anyone that ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is good, because I've yet to see you make an argument that supports this. (Aside from the subjective nonsense).