Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ildjarn is Dead

Re: Ildjarn is Dead
March 01, 2008, 02:21:01 AM
Wow, I had no idea it was that long. I have the original, which is just a big square piece of paper covered in tiny text. I got about a quarter of the way through it.

March 01, 2008, 02:32:34 AM
he's right about most of that stuff, but he's let the world turn him into some isolated asshole rather than try and instigate some possitive change.

March 02, 2008, 03:11:39 PM
I agree. He's got massive potential, but it's like he went inward into himself instead of channeling it.

March 02, 2008, 05:07:05 PM
What a fucking good read! ;D

Reminds me a bit of a certain Mr. Bateman actually.

shadowmystic

March 02, 2008, 07:51:27 PM
I think he should to creating music (if were ever planning to create anything again).  Parts of the text were interesting, but alot of the time he sounded bitter and confused.  Reminded of what you'd hear from a teenage Dimmu fan, eg. "Everyone sucks man, kill people and shit, especially women".  His intelligence shined through sections of that writing, but overall it was exactly as he said it would be, random and jumbled, almost stream of consciousness style.  He probably has the ability to write well if he focused, but it seems he is dis-interested in life and anything associated with it.  Sad to see someone who I consider achieved 'greatness' through his works go down this path, but then again, his creations might not have has the power they did if it weren't for the extreme existential torment he puts himself through.

March 26, 2008, 06:30:53 PM
I agree. He's got massive potential, but it's like he went inward into himself instead of channeling it.

you say this like it's a bad thing.  if viewed through the eye of marketing or greedy fanboys - which I'm not accusing you of - then yes, his transition to profound self-reflection and internal understanding is absolutely horrible.  

a brilliant musician and writer, I applaud his decision to assert his individuality even if at the expense of the (a moment of silence, please) scene.

March 29, 2008, 11:00:48 PM
I feel glad that it's finaly over for him ("Ildjarn")

March 30, 2008, 01:35:08 AM
A recommended reading, indeed.

It's always heartening to read writings by metal musicians who actually live by the convictions they express in their music. It's a shame about a good deal of other Norwegian black metallers.
*cough*Enslaved*cough*Emperor*cough*

March 30, 2008, 08:57:34 AM
*cough*Enslaved*cough*

What's your beef with Enslaved(which I assume is unrelated to the direction their music has taken in the last decade or so)?

March 30, 2008, 10:30:27 AM
Ok, I might have been picking on them. However, they did sell out - what does this indicate? Then again, I never liked them to begin with. Exchange them for Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Mayhem? etc if you wish.

I'll also say: it was pretty boring when Ildjarn rambled on and on about unnecessary shit like girls and menstruation. It was also a shock to read he wants his own Nordic race to destroy themselves with racemixing and whatnot..
Fatalism.  ::)

Raise_the_Dead

March 31, 2008, 09:35:07 PM

Art is something that has to be opened up to - not closed off.  It comes through the artist.  

Meditation, long solitary walks, and menial chores are useful tools to the aspiring artist - creativity comes through when the body shuts the brain up for a while.

I only glimpsed through this statement, but it seems Ildjarn himself portrays this kind of sentiment (art comes through the artist), but contradicts himself through his "everything sucks, fuck you" attitude, which is reminiscent of today's black metal now that I think about it.

April 01, 2008, 06:23:44 AM
Ok, I might have been picking on them. However, they did sell out - what does this indicate? Then again, I never liked them to begin with. Exchange them for Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Mayhem? etc if you wish.

I'll also say: it was pretty boring when Ildjarn rambled on and on about unnecessary shit like girls and menstruation. It was also a shock to read he wants his own Nordic race to destroy themselves with racemixing and whatnot..
Fatalism.  ::)

I know what you mean, I was just curious.

I got a decent chuckle out of the menstruation rant. I'm not going to theorise over Ildjarn the man, I'll just say that I wish him well and although I sympathise with his views I hope to never end up anything like him.

April 01, 2008, 01:44:50 PM

Art is something that has to be opened up to - not closed off.  It comes through the artist.  

Meditation, long solitary walks, and menial chores are useful tools to the aspiring artist - creativity comes through when the body shuts the brain up for a while.

Absolutely.  I work on writing fiction everyday, and everything you say is true.  The greatest thoughts come when your brain is off, because as Nietzsche says great thoughts come when THEY want to, like a lightning bolt, the subject hardly has any control.