Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

slam death

slam death
October 11, 2007, 08:07:57 PM
I'm becoming somewhat curious about slam death metal. Is this genre even worth looking into? If so, what are some quality bands?

Re: slam death
October 11, 2007, 08:12:29 PM
No. Avoid.

October 11, 2007, 08:17:25 PM
WTF is slam death.

chrstphrbnntt

October 11, 2007, 08:24:14 PM
Groove-based death metal, with lots of crunchy riffs and pinch harmonics. See: Dying Fetus, recent Cock and Ball Torture.

Very shitty music.

October 12, 2007, 12:18:05 AM
This is hardly a recent genre, but I agree with the above poster. It attempts (who doesn't these days) to combine the best elements of 80s grindcore/speed mixed with that annoying metalcore-ish groove, and fails to achieve anything substantial or worth spending time on, from the few bands I have listened to anyway.

October 12, 2007, 01:38:47 AM
WTF is slam death.

I like to think of it as 'Suffocation for retards'. Avoid.

October 12, 2007, 03:52:04 AM
How could anyone be fooled by this?  

I could understand a metalcore person wanting more death metal influence, but not a death metal person wanting more metalcore.  It's just stupid.

October 12, 2007, 08:11:14 AM
"Slam-death" may resemble "metalcore" but has its origins prior to the inception of that genre.

See anything on Corpse Gristle Records for "prime" examples.

GS

October 12, 2007, 11:14:53 AM
Kontinual is correct. I'd add that aAs far as precursors, Dehumanized's Prophecies Foretold album (reviewed somewhere on ANUS) and Embrionic Death's Regurgitate The Dead demo (1992) might still be of some interest.

October 13, 2007, 10:44:09 PM
Slam death bands are usually a bunch of guys looking like rappers and the music is something that resembles Suffocation or Pyrexia with a bit of grindcore thrown in but a really lame, incoherent and super-downtuned, pitch-shifted-growl variant of that. There are two japanese bands called Glossectomy and Disconformity that are good (but not of quality) to some extent but that's it.

October 13, 2007, 11:34:32 PM
Slam death bands are usually a bunch of guys looking like rappers and the music is something that resembles Suffocation or Pyrexia with a bit of grindcore thrown in but a really lame, incoherent and super-downtuned, pitch-shifted-growl variant of that.

Don't forget the overbearing "pit riffing," which is the basis of the name.

As far as I can tell this stuff was basically started by INTERNAL BLEEDING.

October 14, 2007, 06:55:12 PM
Groove-based death metal, with lots of crunchy riffs and pinch harmonics. See: Dying Fetus, recent Cock and Ball Torture.

Very shitty music.

Cock & Bull Torture is one of the worst bands i've ever heard, avoid by any means, not even to be experimented with!

October 17, 2007, 02:28:59 PM

October 18, 2007, 04:15:07 PM
I'm becoming somewhat curious about slam death metal. Is this genre even worth looking into? If so, what are some quality bands?

You're better off understanding it's a waste of your time than trying it out.

Septicemia

October 18, 2007, 04:21:42 PM
Useless? Definitely.

Hilarious? Definitely.