Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Waste of time

Waste of time
October 13, 2007, 01:16:13 PM
People will try to convince you that some activities are bad. I'm thinking about drugs, casual sex, television watching and so on.

What I'd like to say is that bad can only be judged in context, so it's more meaningful to say that some activities block your time from being used on better things.

That three hours of TV wasn't bad... but you could have been that much better at playing guitar. Could've started a business or social group. Could've helped ANUS make more people aware of good metal. Could've socialized or read a book, or built a shed, or crucified a Nazarene.

It's not "bad," it's a waste of time.

Re: Waste of time
October 13, 2007, 09:22:19 PM
are u sayin readin boks aint no use? I mean wtf!

October 13, 2007, 10:44:34 PM
judging what is worthwhile is really up to the individual.

I spent half of my life believing that.

Now, I recognize that what is worthwhile is clear, but not all individuals will perceive it, and it varies with ability.

Maybe preface the first post "For those who want to rise above the resting state of humankind..."

October 14, 2007, 12:20:56 AM
Relativism leads nowhere

AttheGates1996

October 14, 2007, 01:09:09 AM
What is time? Time is just the fourth dimension in which the universe is expanding. What is the purpose of time? Are our lives a waste of time? Or can time not be wasted, just spent differently? I believe it all ultimately comes down to what one wants. I want to better myself at guitar so I find time to practice everyday. When Iím sitting in my bed from midnight to 4 in the morning I have really have nothing else to do except relax, watch T.V., do various things on the internet, and occasionally practice guitar even more.

October 14, 2007, 03:50:30 AM
When Iím sitting in my bed from midnight to 4 in the morning I have really have nothing else to do except relax, watch T.V., do various things on the internet, and occasionally practice guitar even more.

Not be pry, but don't you sleep or something?

shadowmystic

October 14, 2007, 07:40:15 AM
Not be pry, but don't you sleep or something?

Methamphetamine does wonders for curing the disease known as sleep ;).

October 14, 2007, 08:36:19 AM
It seems that it also provokes rants about such things as 'the fourth dimension'  :P

AttheGates1996

October 14, 2007, 01:54:28 PM
Time really is the hypothesized as the fourth dimension by many scientistsÖ so Iím not crazy, ha.
http://www.jimloy.com/physics/4d.htm

And I usually fall asleep around 4 in the morning and get up anywhere from 12 to 4 in the afternoon. No methamphetamines either, Iím clean.

October 14, 2007, 02:37:12 PM
Do you work or study?

October 14, 2007, 10:15:31 PM
Playing guitar, starting a business group and killing time on Anus arn't exactly the ideal use of time either.

October 15, 2007, 12:06:20 AM
Reading can be one of the greatest wastes of time. First is the immense amount of bad reading material out there. Secondly, you will forget the contents of a book you're not all that interested in. Thirdly is the loss of touch with reality which comes from excessive reading. And of course, knowledge can provide an inferior substitute for one's own personality or instinct, like a vine strangling a growing sapling.

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 04:52:29 PM
Do you work or study?

i dont know if you were asking me but i do both... unfortunately...

October 15, 2007, 11:21:43 PM
Reading can be one of the greatest wastes of time. First is the immense amount of bad reading material out there. Secondly, you will forget the contents of a book you're not all that interested in. Thirdly is the loss of touch with reality which comes from excessive reading. And of course, knowledge can provide an inferior substitute for one's own personality or instinct, like a vine strangling a growing sapling.

You sound much like Schopenhauer!

October 16, 2007, 12:24:10 PM

I'd agree that reading excessively can do this. It happened to me a couple of years ago when I was really burned out from trying to absorb too much knowledge in addition to my other responsibilities, while not paying enough mind to my instincts as you mentioned. The lesson I learned was to only read compulsively until you have a fairly clear set of values and goals, and how to best apply them in the world around you (meaning it is time to become your own protagonist); after that reading can be saved for times when you need to research specific details. It can be extremely difficult to become balanced when devoting as much of your free time as possible to improving the mind, body, and soul. But ultimately, I find the process to be more rewarding than giving up and just resorting to something like drugs or entertainment to fill the day.

The ideal is to find the right kind of lifestyle that will allow me to balance them all for the long-term... which isn't always easy.