Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metallica's Ninth

AttheGates1996

Metallica's Ninth
October 15, 2007, 02:37:11 AM
That's right... I went there... obviously so many people hate Metallica but yet so many people appreciate them... so this thread has potential to be interesting...

Honestly, I have a good feeling about their upcoming album… perhaps because they are no longer griping at each other like little pussies or maybe since they’ve gotten rid of producer Bob Rock, not that I hate the guy. I think this album is going to completely surprise everyone. I’ve always had a thing for Metallica, I heard them constantly as I was growing up and metal or rock I still think they write very well, which is always a plus.

Re: Metallica's Ninth
October 15, 2007, 03:39:12 AM
I was actually listening to Metallica after a long long time yesterday. I'd almost  forgotten about  how groundbreaking and original  the band was (in the 80's atleast) with all the media whores hyping them to no ends.

But, I seriously don't have any hope whatsoever for this band to deliver anything even remotely interesting anymore. Even if they do try to go back to their roots, they'll just end up making an extremely Generic album. They're like those products well past their expiry date, useless.  

October 15, 2007, 10:37:11 AM
Cover of new Metallica song:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2pS5rODQ2ao

Although they said it wouldn't be on the new album. I wouldn't expect anything better than it though.

October 15, 2007, 02:02:50 PM
I'm expecting whatever they produce from now on to sound like Trivium, but I'm hoping for a nice surprise.

October 15, 2007, 05:16:54 PM
I'm expecting good headbanging material, but nothing outstanding. Mainly because Rick Rubin is producing it.

October 15, 2007, 05:58:27 PM
This is pathetic.  Does anyone here actually believe that Metallica is going to rise up from commercial Hell and make another trash album?  And what if they did?  Do you possibly believe it would be anything worth listening to?  You can't blame Bob Rock for everything.  He didn't actually write the shitty music, even if he led them in that direction, and he didn't make them do half the idiotic things you see them do.  Rick Rubin can only do so much and from what I've heard so far, it's the same old garbage again.

I think they are done now anyway.  They called their fans thiefs (which I actually don't care about) and now everything they release will be marked.  They've burried themselves.  Now fans of underground metal and fans of impulsive garbage music alike have turned on them.

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 07:56:21 PM
Another thrash album? Most likely not, but another well written album, no matter what the genre, I can hope for. Even their rock is somewhat appreciable.

They are “done” because people judge them by who they are as opposed to their music. And here's another interesting fact that people tend to overlook… their “fans” ARE thieves… ever think of that? They were stealing their music and Metallica had every right to sue Napster’s ass, though if I were in a popular band I wouldn’t go to that extreme of actions but still, they had the right to. But like I said earlier, it’s about the music… no one listens to a new album and says “God, these guys are douchebags”… unless you’re narrow-minded…

October 15, 2007, 08:16:54 PM
They are “done” because people judge them by who they are as opposed to their music.

You honestly think people with any sense of discernment haven't shut them out for releasing four incredibly stupid rock albums in 15 years?  Seriously?

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 09:15:19 PM
Referring to the last post by buckets_of_rain, it seems as though people, in fact, do judge by whom they are. I understand that people with good judgment might also dislike them because of their rock albums, but not near as many people as the narrow-minded trashy metal head posers who judge them by their genre and not music.

I don’t think anyone with sense of “discernment” would have to “shut them out.” If they simply don’t like the albums based on a good judgment then why shut out the band and not the album. Having no hopes for the next album means you’ve given up faith on the band, not the 4 rock albums one might dislike… that isn’t fair judgment.

Before Kill em’ All a lot of people with “good judgment” disliked them because they were either to metal or to punkish, but that didn’t mean that they couldn’t release perhaps the most influential heavy metal album of all time. Though I do think that it is likely for this album to be what most would consider “good”, my initial position in this thread was hopeful, not convinced.

October 15, 2007, 09:41:16 PM
I don’t think anyone with sense of “discernment” would have to “shut them out.” If they simply don’t like the albums based on a good judgment then why shut out the band and not the album. Having no hopes for the next album means you’ve given up faith on the band, not the 4 rock albums one might dislike… that isn’t fair judgment.

I think four poor albums in 15 years of songwriting is more than enough to make any reasonable person abandon all but the smallest bit of hope in the entity creating them, which is entirely "fair" judgment (fair in what context)?

Are you on some kind of crusade here?

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 09:57:55 PM
I must admit, I do understand the point in which you’re coming from. I can’t sit here and say that I’m right and people shouldn’t hate Metallica. But what I can do is attempt to explain why people are bias against Metallica.

What I meant by “fair” judgment is that even though their past consists of 4 worse rock albums, no one seems to consider the 4 amazing metal albums. If someone is to judge based upon the past they should take in all considerations, not just the negative. I know that since the last 4 albums were the worse rock albums it suggests that this album will just be the same but they’ve surprised us in a negative way before, they could surprise us again.

And I do not find the writing in the last four albums to be poor. Though I do not think the songs overall are amazing, the specific details within the songs suggest good songwriting. The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Wherever I Might Roam, Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn, and The Unforgiven II all suggest that of a more compositional rock song. Though I know that on the likes of this site those songs are laughed at, but one must remain open-minded and i    do not, in any way whatsoever, associate them with metal.

I’m not on a crusade, I understand that there will always be people who disagree with me. I simply think that my view on the topic is something that most have never seen or considered. None the less, I still remain hopeful. Though I’m sure I will be put down, maybe not horribly.

October 15, 2007, 10:09:33 PM
their “fans” ARE thieves… ever think of that? They were stealing their music and Metallica had every right to sue Napster’s ass, though if I were in a popular band I wouldn’t go to that extreme of actions but still, they had the right to. But like I said earlier, it’s about the music… no one listens to a new album and says “God, these guys are douchebags”… unless you’re narrow-minded…

I wonder what Zappa (TRUE AUTHENTIC GENUINE MUSICIAN as opposed to Metallica) would have done. I don't think he would have made a video like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZZDu4YTZg

What do you think of that?

Zappa would have wrote a friggen song out of this stupid story. Most other intelligent musician actually don't give a fuck. I mean, only superstars making the big bucks do care, otherwise it is a way to be known!

I once read about Type O Negative's singer saying he was more than happy about the Napster thing. It frustrated for the big labels while promoting less-known music.

There's more right here:
http://www.anus.com/etc/metallica/

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 10:25:33 PM
First off Drgrowl, you didn’t just give one damn reason, or for that matter an even relevant reason, as to why their next album doesn’t have the potential to be good.

I should just stop there because that is what this thread intended to be about, their music,  and if you want to bash Metallica then go read the gay made up story about a transvestite. Even if it does exemplify what I’ve been debated with kontinual about; the fact that people judge them by who they are and not their music.

October 15, 2007, 11:00:18 PM
I almost cannot believe I'm reading this here - Chasm indeed. Metallica hasn't been musically relevant since I was in high school(and only somewhat marginally then) and I'm nearly forty fucking years old! Beyond that, they are personally perhaps, the most disgraceful representation of Metal/Hessian individuals this side of Ozzy. After sitting through "Some Kind Of Monster" on the television, I was thoroughly embarrassed for them...and tragically, they were not!!  

It is clear that Metallica blew their creative wad well before the eighties were over. They have NOTHING left to give artistically - just accept that fact.  

AttheGates1996

October 15, 2007, 11:12:39 PM
“Metallica hasn't been musically relevant since I was in high school”
Musically relevant to what?

“Beyond that, they are personally perhaps, the most disgraceful representation of Metal/Hessian individuals this side of Ozzy.”
They no longer represent metal, so don’t judge them by standards that they no longer aim for.

“I was thoroughly embarrassed for them”
Once again… that’s right AGAIN… has nothing to do with their music.

“It is clear that Metallica blew their creative wad well before the eighties were over.”
So doing the same thing over and over again is creative? I’ll admit that they’re change isn’t viewed by the general audience as good but trying to re-release master of puppets over and over wouldn’t be creative.