Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metallica's Ninth

Re: Metallica's Ninth
October 16, 2007, 01:34:57 AM
Their next album will not be any good because they don't have any inspiration to produce any good album anymore. Once a great band turns into a 'big band', they simply loose the motivation to move them any further in terms of music. Why do you think most of the great albums that many bands write  are usually in their begining stage of musical career? It's because they are extremely passionate and motivated during that time. Once they get bigger and more famous, they're not struggling as much. I think the struggle factor is extremely influential when it comes to a band being good or bad. The more they're struggling the more th.ey have to prove and the harder they try. Notice how Metallica's music  started to go down the drain as they started being more and more famous. The "one" video would probably be the pivotal point in their career (and Cliff's death also.) But once the band is not struggling, they don't have  much to prove. The passion may still be there but the necessity (that they think to be there) to write an incredible album will no longer exist.  Same is the case with Slayer, Megadeth and such and such bands..Well, atleast the Slayer camp has still some dignity left in themselves...

I'am not saying they're not capable of writing a good album anymore. I'am simply saying there's no inspiration whatsoever to channel their potential into something great.  

AttheGates1996

October 16, 2007, 01:48:40 AM
Perhaps you are right, but do you not think that Metallica has struggled since Load? I understand what you’re saying and I have to admit you’re probably right, but you never know, perhaps the fact that everyone has hated them since Load could be a suitable inspiration to channel their potential.

October 16, 2007, 02:10:09 AM
It could be. Actually I hope it is but I just don't think that it's sufficient enough. I don't even  know if they understand the hatred or empathize with the ex-fans. I try to put myself in that position - Say i'am in a band and am making relatively good music. Suddenly, I decide to try something new and the fans percieve it as an act of selling out and call me names. Would I care about them? I'd say I'd have a more of the  "Fuck you" attitude towards them than anything else. But to say the same is the case with Metallica would be completely presumptuous on my part so I'd rather give them the benefit of doubt on this.

The thing is -  I just don't see Metallica giving their 110% on this album as they would have in the 80's. When they were young, music was all what their life was about and I think it'd be safe to say that that is definitely not the case now. Do I want them to  come out an amazing album? Fuck yes. Do I think they can? No. All I can do here is wait and  hope that I am wrong and I'd say similar is the case with many Metallica or 80's Metallica fans out there.

shadowmystic

October 16, 2007, 03:34:49 AM
It's stupid to even consider that Metallica might release another good album, I guess I should probably give the new Dimmu a listen seeings as I liked their first two?

October 16, 2007, 05:01:24 AM
Perhaps you are right, but do you not think that Metallica has struggled since Load? I understand what you’re saying and I have to admit you’re probably right, but you never know, perhaps the fact that everyone has hated them since Load could be a suitable inspiration to channel their potential.

Perhaps...but now you are getting closer to solving your own dilemma. (Most) Everyone has "hated" them, because the music they have produced since the 80's is bland, uninspired rock music(who gives a fuck if it is "good" rock music or not - this is a Metal site).
Metallica, chose to veer well off the Metal path, yet have always cynically sneered at those who felt they simply turned their back on what got them where they were in the first place. With all their "yeah, we sold out...sold out every arena in creation, blah, blah" swagger. This while they were writing rock and roll songs about hot-rods or having monsters under one's bed for chrissakes! That is just the type of crap ANUS has railed against from the start.

You can hope all you like that Metallica will miraculously unbosom some neo-thrash materpiece. But you will forgive those of us who
find the idea implausible, if not ludicrous...and have been around this music damned long enough to know why NOT to expect more from them.

shadowmystic

October 16, 2007, 05:43:36 AM
Exactly, name a single band that miraculously started releasing good albums after writing shit for 15 years.

AttheGates1996

October 16, 2007, 03:48:02 PM
Iron Maiden, I personally didn't like anything between SSoaSS between A Matter of Life and Death.

October 16, 2007, 04:14:03 PM
I think Iron Maiden really reinvented themselves with A Matter of Life and Death. Not many bands can do that after 30 years or so. It was a bold move to play the new album in its entirety on tour too, since they've basically been playing the same classics over and over for the last couple of decades.

As for Metallica, I have no belief whatsoever that their new album will be any good.

AttheGates1996

October 16, 2007, 04:40:55 PM
First off, I’d like to say that I know I’m not going to change anyone’s opinions or thoughts, I understand that, but what makes everyone so sure that Metallica couldn’t reinvent themselves? They did just undergo quite a bit of changes… new bassist, no more bitching at each other, obviously no more stress to influence their music, new producer and a completely new atmosphere to write music. They are also taking a lot more time to make sure this album is what they want it to be. Just a thought… it’s possible for them to drastically change their sound.

October 16, 2007, 06:00:05 PM
That Lars Ulrich Napster video is insane. Doesn't he realise how rediculously clichéd that is? It's so absurd it's almost a parody.

October 16, 2007, 06:28:05 PM
Iron Maiden were always in a different league to Metallica, as far as I'm concerned, so I wouldn't personally compare them. It was never personal drama, no matter what shit was going on in the band, it was always about the music (whether it was good or bad). If their experiments in the 90s failed, then they didn't bitch and moan about not liking their audience (because those of you who were around then will remember that their old fans did not receive the Blaze albums well at all). They simply got rid of the problem (bad vocalist) and saved face. Whether they've reinvented themselves on the new album I can't say (it doesn't sound that new to me) but eitherway they are as close to the mainstream as metal will get while still remaining respectable. And that's because they show their fans a helluva lot more respect than Metallica or any of the other big bands ever did or will. And sure, I'd like Metallica to release another magnum opus, but I know that their efforts are no longer genuine and the new album might come across as contrived. The old spirit will not be there, but we'll have to wait n see about the music.

October 16, 2007, 06:29:04 PM
The only way I can see this album coming off as  a masterpiece is by ripping the Metallica boys out of every penny they've got  and by building a   machine that'd change their age back to 20-21.

October 16, 2007, 10:32:55 PM
first off, there is nothing wrong in being optimistic, and we all want to root for bands that matter(ed) to us, but please take in consideration a couple things.
i too, when younger, was absolutely awe inspired by metallica. when i was 16 i got to meet them and about died. so i know what it's like to admire this group.
but times change and so do people. the fellas that made "Master of Puppets" were 23 year old motivated, fired up, well skilled metal musicians whom had goals that were aimed in a different direction than today. back then they said "FUCK MTV", and "FUCK RADIO", etc.
today we see a group of people that are well into their 40's, who went through a phase in the 90's telling everyone that "we aren't metal anymore", and embraced both MTV and radio airplay. it is not necessarily OUR faults for calling this band into suspect when they obviously pulled away from their roots and questioned their "diehard" fan's motivations.

it's not that i don't want to root for this band anymore, but it is almost impossible for me to expect them to revive something that died long ago. they aren't the same people anymore. they have long been rich many times over, totally alienated from the type of situations that motivated them to write "Ride the Lightning". hell, they may even want to write another album like "Ride...", but their lives are nothing like they were when they were 20 years old, and their motivations in life are nothing like they were back in 1984.

people's lives change, circumstances change, and motivations change, especially in Metallica's case. they used to be poor headbanger's ready to create meaningful music. now they're rich, alienated rock stars who've been influenced by pop radio and MTVicon status for so long that they simply do not have the same spark for creating.

IF i turn out to be wrong i'll be the first to come back here and eat humble pie. i doubt seriously that will happen.
i'm as "open minded" as they come, but what does that even mean really? no one is above criticism, even and especially metallica.

AttheGates1996

October 16, 2007, 10:36:33 PM
Hey, if I'm wrong I'll admit it... but theres just some feeling I have... that perhaps they won't recreate what they did in the past, but create something new. Something that is great that no one expected. St. Anger was random, it wasn't great, but no one expected it.

shadowmystic

October 17, 2007, 05:39:58 AM
Yeah no one expected that Metallica (or anyone for that matter) could have created something that bad.