Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Jazz and the essence of metal

Re: Jazz and the essence of metal
October 23, 2007, 01:34:16 AM

This is not a quality argument. Individualism is not inherent to each individual.

Jazz expresses spontaneity, huh? You have low fucking standards for your art. Jazz denies structure because it's incompetent at it, but structure is what communicates something unique to each piece.

Metal has it, classical has it, and some electronic music has it. I prefer that to every piece being a variation on the same old never-ending jam.

To the idiot who said that jazz is about feeling: what a pretentious retard you are. All music is about feeling, and has feeling. You're just being a pretentious fucktard so you can feel how different you are. I have news for you: stupidity and self-delusion aren't unique or different. You failed.

Going back this this. A lot of jazz has very simple structures, simple to the level of blues and verse chorus styled rock songs. This makes up the majority of the most popular forms of jazz. This is esspeically true about stage bands who perform swing and many other kinds of more popular big band jazz. But it also has much more complex structures. This becomes more true as to the less popular the jazz becomes and the smaller the bands become.

There is some Jazz which fits your description of it (if loosely so) such as bebop, but bebop was an style of jazz that went against many jazz standards. So you description of jazz goes against many jazz standards that are prevalent throughout jazz.

But going back to the very first post I find very little jazz interesting and none of the music you posted held my attention for long. Musically jazz is interesting and can be a useful tool if studied to enhance your own compositions but as a genre in itself I see most of it as the same as Britney spears. There is only a small amount of advante garde jazz that I can tolerate, and thats tolerate not enjoy.  
I just find almost all jazz to be the same old everything is going to be alright mentality.  

October 23, 2007, 01:36:59 AM
But going back to the very first post I find very little jazz interesting and none of the music you posted held my attention for long. Musically jazz is interesting and can be a useful tool if studied to enhance your own compositions but as a genre in itself I see most of it as the same as Britney spears.
I just find almost all jazz to be the same old everything is going to be alright mentality.

I have no disagreement with the above. I would like to add that I disagree, artistically and musically, with what jazz is trying to do. It's a step away from clarity toward confusion and that mentality you mention.

October 23, 2007, 08:07:40 AM

Even fucking worse! If you're gonna listen to jazz, at least pick up some Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Chick Korea and Nils Landgren.

I said so since I though the guy would have enjoyed something more "metal". Personally, I'm more into ECM artists than anything else. And that will be my last post on the subject.

October 23, 2007, 09:59:48 PM
i prefer my Jazz instrumental. i enjoy the focus on instruments and the vocals usually resemble sugary pop music or top 40 singers, something which i avoid like the plague.

im a bassist, so i really enjoy listening to the basslines and how each instrument plays off of it.

however, i could see how someone could not like jazz.

October 23, 2007, 10:29:39 PM
i prefer my Jazz instrumental.

I completely agree. As soon as you get vocals into the mix, song structures and dynamic change go into the toilet, or get really cheesy and stupid.

October 23, 2007, 11:29:48 PM
last post on the subject.

...not quite yet

I completely agree. As soon as you get vocals into the mix, song structures and dynamic change go into the toilet, or get really cheesy and stupid.

Vocal jazz is indeed unoriginal. Every artists seem to be the same. A few were good at the time of Armstrong (one of the pioneers in growl).

October 24, 2007, 01:53:02 AM
Vocal jazz is indeed unoriginal. Every artists seem to be the same.

Vocals hold most music back, because then all the instruments must support the vocal. Metal is often best when it has long instrumental parts so it doesn't become slave to the human voice.

October 30, 2007, 09:52:44 PM

precisely. i love how in instrumental jazz, each respective instrument explores and reflects off of each other. its quite wonderful when im in the mood.

also, regarding vocals holding music back, what of vocals with little melody? (screaming, growling, screeching, and the like). often times, i find that the music is unhindered by them, as those vocals are usually just used as another rythmic device.