Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Atrocity - Todessehnsucht Concept

Atrocity - Todessehnsucht Concept
October 18, 2007, 01:47:43 PM
Songs can be somewhat sorted, judging by perspective of narration, in two categories : individual mourning (at present or beyond time at all) and world downfall (from its cause to consequences chronologically, past to future) but both are placed in the same reality.

Status quo is being showed:
It seems at first as a desire for, or maybe nostalgia about values that was represented by God (at least as a idealized symbol of old=healhy times)or his safe,warm illusions, but it's used only to accent how empty cult of individualism of "self nominated gods" corrupted reality. Human is now detached from its context. Only death can bring ballance to our lives and put us in right place, thus we are seeking it artificially in this twisted, confusing realm. But hovever sadly it is, godless years seem to show us who are we and what is our predestination, destroying concept of human purpose created by many relligions.

Then concept of seeking knowledge about life reveals itself:
Alchemist of some kind begun his faustian quest(is it a sample from some movie?).
Journey begins from finding your own "voice", then you must be prepared for battle against all others, whose path is wrong. Some verses express truth that humans cannot exist without conflicts and are blinded by their passions. Heroic values seem to be destructive and affecting our free will, but paradoxically they made us sane in old times, through our aspirations toward dominate over our (even if selected by wrong factors) enemies. But even if so, it is rather a thesis about our motivations that would be later clarified by conclusion of album, than something deceitful that we should rebel against (this album gives some answers).
Next there are shown disturbing images of cycle we inevitably following but also how we are weakening ourselves by that. It seems that there is nothing else left than resignation and passive following. Or isolating from it, seeking absolute perfection of death. Knowing the truth about reality is a torment, which makes living on (dying)earth unbearable (or maybe it is accuse of modern world, socialization and its false, confusing ways which tries to separate humanity from its true nature and that causes inner suffering?). And then comes enlightenment...

Conclusion:
Alchemist tried to escape the death but he only realizes that it was deceptive aspiration because afirmation and understanding of death, its role in nature and our lives (so called death impulse acting as a motivator to progress) is necessary to be trully alive (it sounds like that knowledge made him insane). Knowledge about life is useless without conception of death.

Like on their previous concept album wich was more or less extract from "Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo"(with darker but also stereotypical psychological background, like someone needs excuses for taking drugs) Atrocity on Longing for Death maintain same fatalistic and suicidal atmosphere. I hate concept behind Hallucinations because lyrics is being wrote in primitive, very literally style of emotional yelping about "Abyss of Addiction" (albeit guitarwork is inspiring). Same with their Blue Blood. I just can't accept their socially engaged lyrics about how world gone bad (at least not on level they have presented there). It's closer tied with punk or grindcore than death metal (which usually don't condemn, or estimate but rather show you reality leaving valuation up to your judgement).

Can somebody translate latin sentence in Introduction?
Classical<------------------Metal----------------->Ambient

Vajra

Re: Atrocity - Todessehnsucht Concept
October 18, 2007, 02:16:47 PM
Then concept of seeking knowledge about life reveals itself:
Alchemist of some kind begun his faustian quest(is it a sample from some movie?).

It's from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

shadowmystic

October 19, 2007, 01:19:24 AM
There seemed to be alot more to that movie that first appeared, this quote was nice,
"And crawling, on the planet's face, some insects, called the human race. Lost in time, and lost in space... and meaning."

I consider that Atrocity album to be first tier death metal, as would most people here I assume, the guitar technique was new and refreshing and the composition was still the main focus of the music, I must say I never noticed the lyrical narrative, although there seemed to be a musical narrative linking the album together.

Vajra

October 21, 2007, 07:37:30 AM
Can somebody translate latin sentence in Introduction?

Somnium timoris
Desiderum praeteritum
Maestitia praesentiae

This seems to fit in well enough with the concept:

Nightmare/Vision of fear
Longing for the past
Sorrow of the present

October 21, 2007, 07:17:08 PM
Thank You Vajra.

I wonder why nobody cares about this topic (same with similiar about At The Gates). Albums - they are true source of knowledge about metal and it's ideas.

Are they to lazy to interpretate and show their vision, correct me or simply add something?
Or maybe I nailed it so perfectly?

I forgot that they are too busy by posting on that hair topic...
Classical<------------------Metal----------------->Ambient

October 21, 2007, 09:43:39 PM
I wonder why nobody cares about this topic (same with similiar about At The Gates). Albums - they are true source of knowledge about metal and it's ideas.

I think part of the reason is that the album has been so hard to find for so long.  Without access to the packaging, lyrics, and other tangibles it is hard to elucidate on anything conceptual even if it might be obvious when listening.

It is definitely on my short list, but I don't trust the re-release.

October 22, 2007, 04:31:03 AM
There's a Schopenhauer quote in the booklet.

"Klopfte man an die Gräber und fragte die Toten, ob sie wieder aufstehen wollten: Sie würden mit den köpfen schütteln"

(If one were to knock on the tombstones and ask the dead whether they would rise again, they would shake their heads)

October 23, 2007, 11:06:20 PM
It is hard to tell whether this album's lyrical concept has a definite narrative coherence and chronological track-by-track sequencing like the ATG album. This thread sparks great interest in me however (just as that ATG thread very much did) because this album is what I consider top-10 DM material (does anyone notice some similarities in sound and technique that this disc shares with the ATG album, coincidentally?); I will try my best to contribute some valid interpretations:

The album seems to be really centered on decadence, ruination, and withering ... such conditions are often the prerequisites to total death (these make sense of the album title ... the dead-looking flowers on the album cover further illustrate that, visually). Even more, the intro title track's lyrics describe "a falling leaf departed from the source of life"... again, emphasizing death's inevitability.

Tracks 2, 3, 4 appear to be focused on what has led to such a pitiful state of affairs... "Godless Years" describes rampant corruption, greed, lies, etc. running amok, "Unspoken Names" targets conspiracies and other underlying injustices contributing to the problem (seen in lines like "Forbidden thoughts keep me silent oppress me", "Hidden truth, face of death..."), and "Defiance" depicts free will failing in the face of the faltering human condition from which the character is born into.

Tracks 7, 8, 9 seem to be focused on the character living out the last of his years in reflection of the suffering. "Sky Turned Red" has probably the most poetic, metaphorical bent on the entire album (with its strong use of figurative language, and way of describing the character as a old man having his thoughts consumed by the futility of his life and the world around him). "Necropolis" shows the straight-up, final calling-out to death ... while "A Prison Called Earth" identifies this earthly realm for what it is and the character's ultimate disgust.

I am not sure what to make out of the track 5 called "Triumph at Dawn"... its lyrics seem to be the most positive-sounding on the album (perhaps about delusions of grandeur amidst this world of suffering?).

chb

October 24, 2007, 10:18:00 AM

I am not sure what to make out of the track 5 called "Triumph at Dawn"... its lyrics seem to be the most positive-sounding on the album (perhaps about delusions of grandeur amidst this world of suffering?).

Triumph at Dawn appears to describe the destruction of humanity through the force of nature, the end of human rule over earth ("fall of tyranny"). The character not only yearns for his own death but for the death of humanity itself. The word "dawn" in the title might hint at a new beginning after the destruction, although not for humanity. The tracks that follow it seem to say that there is no hope for mankind.