Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Are Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated?

Re: Are Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated?
November 05, 2007, 05:55:22 PM
It seems Infernus asked Fenriz to drum for "his" version of Gorgoroth, but the grumpy bastard no longer likes to play the drums(!) or to play in any band whatsoever if it's not called Darkthrone, so he said no.

November 30, 2007, 03:17:46 AM
If Gorgoroth had all perished in a car wreck after the second album, they'd be hailed as geniuses to this day.

Musicians, don't make your bands your careers.

December 20, 2007, 12:47:17 PM
Looks like Gaahl and King ov Hell won the rights to the name, unsurprisingly. Although part of me did expect them to side with the one and only founding member left.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87015

December 21, 2007, 10:45:46 PM
I'm still quite intrigued by the apparent use of the legal system to solve this dispute, as clearly none of these people own rights on the name "Gorgoroth" (which because of the LotR films is now back under copyright).

The trading rights to the name Gorgoroth are owned by New Line (part of Warner group), so expect to see the Gaahl version of Gorgoroth signing to Roadrunner (also Warner group) in 2008..!  ;D

December 23, 2007, 05:13:46 AM
"GORGOROTH's current touring lineup includes Gaahl on vocals, King ov Hell on bass, Nick Barker (ex-DIMMU BORGIR, CRADLE OF FILTH) on drums, and Teloch (NIDINGR, UMORAL, 1349) and Sykelig on guitars."

What's more black metal than whining in court over who gets the band's name? Inducting a COF member into the band!

Re: Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated? no
December 23, 2007, 08:30:14 AM
i heard a rumour the new gorgoroth material will be composed purely of sweeping synth melodies and whispered vocals in a droning ambient structure.

Dunkelheit

December 23, 2007, 05:33:48 PM
I'm still quite intrigued by the apparent use of the legal system to solve this dispute, as clearly none of these people own rights on the name "Gorgoroth" (which because of the LotR films is now back under copyright).

The trading rights to the name Gorgoroth are owned by New Line (part of Warner group), so expect to see the Gaahl version of Gorgoroth signing to Roadrunner (also Warner group) in 2008..!  ;D

It was settled in Norwegian courts so I don't think American copyrights have anything to do with it. The only way they could probably get into legal trouble with it, is the use of their name in America. Even then you'd need whoever owns the copyright to give a shit about it, or even hear of them.

Gorgoroth's been shit for years. Pentagram and Antichrist are great but I don't think I've liked anything else from them. That Ghaal guy seems remotely interesting (if only for his Nietzschean references and interest in shamanism; I can't stand the satan bullshit) but I'm not a big fan of his vocal work or the music as a whole while he's been part of the band.

December 29, 2007, 12:53:20 PM
Looks like Gaahl and King ov Hell won the rights to the name, unsurprisingly. Although part of me did expect them to side with the one and only founding member left.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87015

Good thing about their interview is that they don't seem to give a shit about all those bureaucratic questions.

January 01, 2008, 06:40:30 PM
Why doesn't infernus just fuck the name and release stuff under a new title?

chrstphrbnntt

January 01, 2008, 09:44:19 PM
Why doesn't infernus just fuck the name and release stuff under a new title?

Because the band name is the only thing either party has going for them at this point.

January 08, 2008, 10:53:29 PM
It seems like very few people now are familiar with the classics like Varathron, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Enslaved, Immortal and Graveland. Later releases, they know, but the foundations of the genre are a mystery to them or they don't like them because they're more complicated than the crap they're listening to that's current.

shadowmystic

January 10, 2008, 01:59:16 AM
True, When I asked the question in the op I was refering to their first two albums, I realise they are recognised but I put them above nearly every other release to come out of Norway.  I was just wondering if other people felt the same way, only Burzum convincingly surpassed them from what I can see.

Divus_de_Mortuus

January 10, 2008, 05:05:14 AM
Perhaps I haven't forced myself enough listens until I finally "get" them, but I would rank Gorgoroth below most of Norway. I must confess that the hilarious vocals distract me from the music.

Here is a question; on these boards, old Satyricon is treated as an unoriginal clone, simply an amalgamation of other bands of the era, but when examining Gorgoroth, I think it's pretty clear they are firmly rooted in everything that was going on around them as well, so where do you men see the difference? I must also confess I like Satyricon's career through Nemesis Divina, and I would certainly rank them higher than Gorgoroth.

January 10, 2008, 05:35:05 AM
I guess Satyricon is seen as muddled up and without a particular direction though  their early albums are decent. Whereas Gorgoroth's music seems to have a certain goal, although I find the petty satanism pretty boring.

January 10, 2008, 06:36:15 AM
to me Satyricon is almost purely aesthetic based, but they sure did a good job of fooling people with the early black metal aesthetics and imagery. on a deep level they are motivated primarily towards market/scene popularity (including their first album). they don't believe in their art the same way that Burzum, early Emperor, Beherit or Ildjarn do.

i think there is some deeper internal angst in old Gorgoroth, not exactly satanism, though i personally don't like them and don't think there music was ever going to evolve into anything truly great.