Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

GREEK BLACK/DEATH METAL

GREEK BLACK/DEATH METAL
October 19, 2007, 04:10:59 AM
I enjoy the old glory days of this stuff! So mystical! So exotic and heavy metal!! It is really great!!!

I think the main reason why these bands were overlooked by the metal scene is because 1) they didn't really have an image (poor country, can't buy fancy wear, you know?) and 2) the sound they "created" was not as dynamic and weird as the Scandanavian stuff. I mean, most of these Greek bands used palm mutes and the Scandinavians did not.  So that was special at the time. Oh yes, and they had more publicity (murders, burnings, etc).

But regardless, the Greek stuff remains my favorite type of extreme metal. So romantic and heavy!! It remains close to me forever!!!

SON OF THE MOON!!!!!!!

Re: GREEK BLACK/DEATH METAL
October 19, 2007, 12:35:48 PM
Necromantia/Varathron split and Varathorn's His Majesty At The Swamp are all I've heard. Anything else comparable?

October 19, 2007, 01:57:52 PM
I've been looking at Greek heavy black metal or what not recently as the sound that in a way bridges many gaps of metal, to an extent, and yet maintains a unique important cultural and compositional method. Greek black metal remains known primarily to those who look into it and thus it does not receive the silly attention gathered by some other regional metals.
If definitely does have a romantic or operatic edge over other stuff.

Macabre Omen, Nocternity, Agatus, Kawir are some of the lesser known bands.

October 19, 2007, 04:43:20 PM
Necromantia/Varathron split and Varathorn's His Majesty At The Swamp are all I've heard. Anything else comparable?

I wouldn't know how much it is comparable depending on what criterias you mean here, but Rotting Christ is your answer :-)

Also check at least the first Septic Flesh. Memorable mystic / oriental ambience shining through softly crafted melodies and the utmost confidence of the musicians.

I have developped a very strong affinity towards Greek Black Metal over the years, and I think that it is a genre that will pass the test of time very well. This music isn't afraid of decades. There is a solid sense of construction and musicianship, that is not especially rooted in a specific time period (be it of Metal or other genres or music) and that guarantees it a feeling of timelessness.

October 19, 2007, 07:16:53 PM

VARATHRON Walpurgisnacht is a favorite.

October 19, 2007, 07:33:11 PM
Nobodys mentioned Thy Mighty Contract by Rotting Christ!. Its really the only Greek Black Metal I've heard, so what are these other bands like compared  to Rotting Christ?

October 19, 2007, 09:27:00 PM
thanks to this site i discovered varathron and necromantia, for me , it was a hard thing to believe it even exists. it seems like it cracked out of another realm and has oozed into this one. i think i fell out of my chair and clawed at the sun when i heard varathron, and listening to necromantia at nite in the
woods highly recommended. truly black heavy metal as mentioned.  

shadowmystic

October 20, 2007, 12:18:02 AM
I really enjoyed early Septic Flesh, they didn't seem to try and conform to any genre but instead just let their melodies drive the music.

October 20, 2007, 12:44:13 AM

VARATHRON Walpurgisnacht is a favorite.

Defiantly one of mine too and I think what H418ov21.C posted about the music not being afraid of decades is very true in this case.
I haven't heard all that much Greek DM so any recommendations would be great!
Grr...

October 20, 2007, 05:19:21 AM

Necromantia's Scarlet Evil Witching Black is great in case you haven't listened to it yet. I much prefer that band to Varathron, anyways. Legions of Doom have a couple of good albums, namely God Is Dead and Kingdom of Endless Darkness. I can't really think of others off the top of my head now.

October 21, 2007, 02:06:32 AM
Pretty much my friend, Greece only has a few bands that are really great! Most of the bands were already mentioned by the posters!

Only one was not mentioned. ZEMIAL!

October 21, 2007, 02:08:00 AM
Legion of Doom was also Greek?

I can get into Thy Mighty Contract, Walpurgisnacht and His Majesty in the Swamp. Necromantia is heavy metal buffet leavings and Zemial, soporific.

October 21, 2007, 02:08:51 AM

Necromantia's Crossing the Fiery Path. It takes a couple of times to appreciate it because mainly it is sloppy! But their seminal, Scarlet Witching Black is a morbid Mediteranian orchestra from hell!