Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Stratovarius

Stratovarius
October 19, 2007, 03:02:34 PM
Power metal is rarely mentioned on the site and it makes sense given the strong. As a genre, it has legions upon legions of cookie-cutter, and even a lot of bands frequently cited as bests in power metal are little more than an updated form of a style which has existed for nearly 30 years).

Stratovarius is the one power metal band i can really sink my teeth into. Wheras most power metal is just a throwback to tradional 70's/80's metal, Stratovarius's music at its' sounds like a natural evolution of the traditonal metal sound. Their sound is both heavy - rhythm guitar has a strong presence - and beautifully melodic. The implimintation of neoclassical technique is very well done: the band recall all the mastery and grandeur of the baroque, and pull off some truly astounding guitar and keyboard solos, all without
reducing the songs to cheese as is often the case with power metal (and solos in general). The classical influence goes beyond a simple aesthetic one, informing a sound that brings to mind a more heavy,classically-rooted Maiden, with the same great story-telling/narrative power.

Any hessian looking for some beautifully heavy metal to listen to should check out Stratovarius, starting with Fourth Dimension, Episode and Visions.

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Stratovarius
October 19, 2007, 04:41:15 PM
Perhaps you would enjoy The August Engine by Hammers of Misfortune... or The Lord Weird Slough Feg's Traveller. Both good albums that have power metal leanings.

October 19, 2007, 08:25:10 PM
I've only really listened to Elements, but Soul of a Vagabond is my favourite of theirs. It's almost programme music, the opening motifs reflect so much a walk to the horizon.

October 21, 2007, 07:35:20 AM
I only own their Destiny album, I think it is quite good though. Very theatrical power metal with lashings of neo-classical and some progressive rock undertones in there too.

Ill have to check out Soul of a Vagabond based on your recommendation Blitzkrieg, that sounds excellent.

October 21, 2007, 05:20:10 PM
Stratovarius is the one power metal band i can really sink my teeth into.

Interesting.

Of the flood of "power metal" out there, there are a few bands who despite their addiction to cheese make phenomenal music within the constraints of their genre. This is one of them.

Stratovarius

October 21, 2007, 07:09:06 PM
Currently listening to the Fourth Dimension opening track. What the hell is that "solo"? I know I have heard that somewhere before  :P  I was vaguely familiar with their work but this is probably the first time I've got my hands on a full album. Unfortunately, there are too many bands that clone this type of music these days.

October 23, 2007, 09:53:55 PM
ive never been a fan of Stratovarius or their brand of flower metal. in fact, im not much of a power metal fan at all. the classics of course (Helloween, some Manowar, Iron Maiden, Riot, etc) are good once in a while, but i really do not like how commercial and wimpy sounding the genre has become.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

October 25, 2007, 06:02:25 AM
I have one Stratovarius album, Dreamspace, their third  full length from 1994, and it has not been out of its case for several years. I knew there was a reason for this, but reading this thread I decided to give it a try, and I could'nt stand beyond the track six out of 14 contained in the CD: it's cheesy, generic, highly unoriginal and boring, pretty boring. Not at all an exciting listening experience from any point of view. If all their albums are like this one, then I can't find a reason why anyone of you, obviously interested in much more interesting metal bands, would loose time with this crap. I prefer some current pop hits.

October 25, 2007, 02:24:32 PM
All the Power and Prog Metal I've ever tried getting into appalled me with boring, typical Heavy Metallish structures, standard vocals and riffs in mundane patterns.

Nothing esoteric, nothing obscure, nothing valuable to "salvage" within a caustic production; in short, nothing worth exploring. It wasn't without its lesson, however! It taught me, from another angle, the importance of dissonant, obscure music and why it is so wondrous. Give me an Infester or an Ildjarn over a Necrophagist or a Dimmu Borgir anyday, and the same with this laughable subgenre.

October 25, 2007, 03:22:49 PM
Soul of a Vagabond

Pack on my back I wander
Over mountains across the seas
My yearning soul keeps roaming
In the endless search for peace

Sky is my roof, my shelter
Stars shine and light my way
Earth is my bed, my altar
On this road that leads to nowhere

In silence I scream but no one listens to me
Absolution, salvation, my sins won't leave me be
The first cry, the last breath
We are born to die
This madness neverending
Don't know the reason why
Soul of a vagabond
Illusion, delusion, we are born to live
Temptation, damnation, starvation, deformation

The road goes on forever
It's an old and trustworthy friend
I have tasted its dust and treasures
By my twisted mind won't mend

My burden is heavy to carry
My destiny lies ahead
My spirit is always leaving
For this road that leads to nowhere...

We are born to die
This madness neverending
Soul of a vagabond

We are born to die
This madness neverending

(Soul of a vagabond)

October 25, 2007, 05:57:55 PM
Soul of a Vagabond

Pack on my back I wander
Over mountains across the seas
My yearning soul keeps roaming
In the endless search for peace

Sky is my roof, my shelter
Stars shine and light my way
Earth is my bed, my altar
On this road that leads to nowhere

We are born to die
This madness neverending
Soul of a vagabond

The road goes on forever
It's an old and trustworthy friend
I have tasted its dust and treasures
By my twisted mind won't mend

My burden is heavy to carry
My destiny lies ahead
My spirit is always leaving
For this road that leads to nowhere...

We are born to die
This madness neverending
Soul of a vagabond

We are born to die
This madness neverending

(Soul of a vagabond)

and?

October 25, 2007, 08:58:47 PM
I just enjoy those lyrics.

October 26, 2007, 06:25:44 AM
As I know it "Power Metal" is generally lame, a lot of the bands seem to sing almost exclusively about dragons, which in itself isn't lame I guess but they obsess about it -- and there are plenty of good old Heavy Metal bands anyways.

I'll check out Stratovarius, are there any other good bands?
http://www.nauseant.tk - So putrid you can taste the crunch!

October 31, 2007, 11:54:12 AM
Power metal seems to a matter of taste amongst more death and black metal oriented hessians in much the same way that black/death metal are to more traditionally-eared listeners. Their music has a rather traditional sound- some here have said generic -  but their is a strong focus on songwriting, even within the leads, that places them outside the riffs and noodles formulae that most power metal bands abide by.  The dragons and wizards imagery isn't that strong, but the fantastical tone is all there.

Prime Stratovarius is a logical extension of what Iron Maiden were doing at their peak in the 80's; same narrative outllook and largely-classically rooted sound, but with less rock/blues influence and a speed-enhanced,  rhythm guitar sound and more emphasis on the classical.

November 03, 2007, 08:20:40 AM
I listened to "Destiny", which was reviewed in the neoclassical music section.

I'm glad to have learned over the years to discriminate the worthwhile, though not easily accessible metal from camouflaged shit like Stratovarius.

No need to go into detail why their music sucks, but to sum it up: it sounds like Schlager with other instruments and the occasional wannabe-epic lead thrown in, which totally lacks a solid foundation and thus is like a whipped cream topping on a heap of shit.

Fuck Power Metal.