Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Anus Reality

Re: Anus Reality
October 26, 2007, 11:12:52 PM

Songs only make sense when they communicate something. A feeling is linked to a situation, which is linked to a decision, and the best songs end up on a different decision than where they began. Has nothing to do with lyrics.

What does this have to do with what I said?

October 27, 2007, 01:23:50 PM

What does this have to do with what I said?

Isn't it obvious? You were speaking of computer-generated music and how some of it had accidental meaning.

Late

October 27, 2007, 05:56:00 PM
This place seems to be strife with american popular culture and it's offshoots, probably an anti-reaction to said stuff? can't relate to it since I haven't been exposed to the aforementioned stuff.

October 28, 2007, 06:21:44 AM
Among other things, to the uninitiated(unenlightened?), ANUS appears to take "itself" far too seriously. This is not unlike the conclusion many reach about Nietzsche, as a humorless, angry, pessimist.
One must look past the surface - which of course requires thought, automatically placing many "metalheads" outside the fold.
Though Metal has, on occasion been cited as being possessed of an intellectual side, much of that is little more than half-educated posturing, misinterpreted philosophy, or worst of all, a fairly transparent re-working of the same humanitarian/ Christian values, many profess to despise.

ANUS offers ideas, alternative thinking based around an often misunderstood and ludicrously maligned artform. The rest, I would say, is up to you.

October 29, 2007, 12:58:36 AM

Isn't it obvious? You were speaking of computer-generated music and how some of it had accidental meaning.

Ok. I'm just not sure what the comment on lyrics meant.

What I was saying is that if you take a Slayer song, one can take a particular meaning from it, but how do we know whether the meaning is intentional or accidental. All songs are made up of a combination of patterns. The relationship between two riffs may be pure accident (and probably is in most metal).

Communication is a complicated concept. Is it independent of intention and depends solely on what the recipient understands or is a link between the communicating participants necessary? If it's the latter, most music does not really communicate anything. This is evident from the sheer number and variety of interpretations given to a musical piece in the absence of lyrics.

shadowmystic

October 29, 2007, 03:33:50 AM
If you get a monkey on a typewriter eventually it will accidentally type the full manuscript of Shakespeare's Hamlet, accidental genius is possible, just extremely unlikely.

Late

November 02, 2007, 05:56:52 PM
Among other things, to the uninitiated(unenlightened?), ANUS appears to take "itself" far too seriously. This is not unlike the conclusion many reach about Nietzsche, as a humorless, angry, pessimist.
One must look past the surface - which of course requires thought, automatically placing many "metalheads" outside the fold.
Though Metal has, on occasion been cited as being possessed of an intellectual side, much of that is little more than half-educated posturing, misinterpreted philosophy, or worst of all, a fairly transparent re-working of the same humanitarian/ Christian values, many profess to despise.

ANUS offers ideas, alternative thinking based around an often misunderstood and ludicrously maligned artform. The rest, I would say, is up to you.

Hmm I like your style.

This bbs has just struck me as an identity-confirmation group but like you said It is probably just me. It is just that I have seen enough of them and in the spirit of finding one's own truth I can't see the benefit of such action, in no way a personal attack , I have better things to do than "flame" people on the internet.