Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Punk

Re: Punk
November 04, 2007, 09:05:49 PM
actually punk music did give rise to some forms of metal, but aside from that, not much.

Dude, that made up half of my first post. Read.

November 04, 2007, 09:15:58 PM
Gonna have to side with GreatBlackJoy on this one.

Crust and anarcho-punk's philosophy is a utopian one. They believe that under certain circumstances, we can deny the very laws of nature and set up a world where not only do massive populations live without a leader or any clear idea of what should be done (be it through means of police action OR unanimous consensus), but in the process, we can all live happily ever after with no violence, inequality, rainy days, or sad faces.

Don't get me wrong, I think crusties live a very respectable and honest way of life, but their worldview is in no way compatible with mine, which makes for many good long nights spent debating. When it's all said and done, it's a dead end conversation though. We must always agree to disagree.

Crust and christianity should just reconcile their differences and form Crustianity.

November 04, 2007, 10:19:51 PM
I saw them in Los Angeles. They performed 'well' in so far as they successfully reproduced their recorded music in a live format.

I find that 90% of punk and grindcore is poor quality, both in terms of music and message. There are exceptions to this. Amebix, Misfits, Discharge and maybe a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. These bands are notable largely because they both pioneered and transcended their genre.

Something to consider: you may not care about the ideological message of the artists behind the music, but you are receiving messages through the music itself, even if it's abstract and beyond language. What does the music you love communicate to you? How is the music of Dropdead in ESSENCE from the music of Emperor's early work?

To me, 90% of punk and grindcore isn't fundamentally different from emo or any other 'indy' rock in what it communicates. How about you?

you have some good points. i applaud you for not just doing what ive seen many members of this site do (dismiss me as an AIDS victim).

the question you have asked i find quite difficult to answer. i have always been a fan of music which is fast, loud, etc. what i look for in music is something to release my emotions and depart from this world, if only for a little while. depending on what music i am listening to, the emotion communicated varies greatly.

i will have to think more on this, GreatBlackJoy.