Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Enslaved. Vikingligr Veldi

Enslaved. Vikingligr Veldi
November 02, 2007, 08:31:45 AM
Hello, dear friends.
It's my first message in this forum, and I wanted it to be an admiration for Enslaved's "Vikingligr Veldi" album.

I cannot describe even the tenth part of my joy and amusement with this LP. The music just takes you in a magic journey, to another world, cold and windy, but nevertheless worthy and much more better than this real world. When listening to Vikingligr Veldi, I get an ultimate experience of nature, relentless weather, misty mountains, and mighty wind. This album is pure experience and sheer musical art, in my opinion.

Of course, all the abovesaid is subjective, but is there anyone sharing my thoughts toward the unattainable greatness of this work of Enslaved??

By the way, almost the same level of felicity and pure joy is obtained by me from Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse"

So, I hail Enslaved, and repeat my deep appreciation for their masterpiece"Vikingligr Veldi"

Your opinions are highly welcome! Maybe someone could explain the cause of this album being so great..

Re: Enslaved. Vikingligr Veldi
November 02, 2007, 11:43:55 AM
Transilvanian Hunger deserves to be mentioned here. One of black metals strengths is at evoking romantic, untamed vistas of nature.

Vajra

November 02, 2007, 11:54:43 AM
I think I share Aygesha's opinion. It's been my favourite Metal album for a long time. I haven't heard anything else quite as immersive. So entrancing and overwhelming.

I noticed it first in 'Heimdallr', but the lyrics seem to set up an archetypal/ideal state with the music gradually building up in form until becoming fully conscious of it. This could explain the instrumental 'Norvegr' as being finally at one with the land.

It sounds very epic, yet very precise. I can hear some of Grieg's 'Peer Gynt' Suite as a possible influence/inspiration. Perhaps that helped them to acheive this effect?

'Hordanes Land' is my second favourite Enslaved release. It is less refined and works slightly differently, but is again, a very immersive listen. You can also hear many ideas that matured into passages of 'Vikingligr Veldi' songs.

November 02, 2007, 12:27:28 PM
I think I share Aygesha's opinion. It's been my favourite Metal album for a long time. I haven't heard anything else quite as immersive. So entrancing and overwhelming.

I noticed it first in 'Heimdallr', but the lyrics seem to set up an archetypal/ideal state with the music gradually building up in form until becoming fully conscious of it. This could explain the instrumental 'Norvegr' as being finally at one with the land.

It sounds very epic, yet very precise. I can hear some of Grieg's 'Peer Gynt' Suite as a influence inspiration. Perhaps that helped them to acheive this effect?

'Hordanes Land' is my second favourite Enslaved release. It is less refined and works slightly differently, but is again, a very immersive listen. You can also hear many ideas that matured into passages of 'Vikingligr Veldi' songs.

Thanks, I'll try "Peer Gynt" and other Grieg music and see myself if there is a source of inspiration.

I'll confess that, in summer I intentionally took Vikingligr Veldi and other Black Metal to mountains with me to play in CD-player. I got up in the night, climbed up the mountain, walked in the valleys, under the moon, wind to the face, and listened to music. Perhaps, that was the most happy and joyful feelings ever felt by me..

Also, I would like to say that nature of my country Kyrgyzstan is very very beautiful. Kyrgyzstan area is 90 % mountains !! And the music seems to completely coincide with this nature

November 02, 2007, 02:15:55 PM
I was impressed by this album for being surprisingly progressive in nature. It is rather weird talking about a progressive black metal sound but that is the impression I got from the riffs, the  unconventional synth passages. Take the first track for example - found it quite psychedelic. To add to that they've put in the 'Viking fury' in songs like Heimdallr and Midgards Eldar (the best track) minus the blockheadedness that came to this genre (and Enslaved) later on. I do tend to compare this album to the later albums of Emperor thinking that album achived what Emperor tried and failed, post ITNE.  

November 02, 2007, 03:46:40 PM
I was quite surprised when I found out that the band's main songwriters were 16 and 20 years old, respectively, when "Vikingligr Veldi" first came out. Compositionally, it is a very mature, ambitious work for musicians of that age.

Vajra

November 02, 2007, 04:55:07 PM
Add that to Burzum and Eucharist for exceptional works by exceptionally young artists. Any others?

November 02, 2007, 05:45:20 PM
Sepultura comes to mind.

At the time of "Morbid Visions" (1986) they were aged:

Max - 17
Igor - 16
Jairo - ?
Paulo - 17

Of course, "Schizophrenia" (1987), which was a huge leap in terms of compositional maturity, followed only a year later.

November 02, 2007, 06:00:24 PM
First Satyricon : 16 if I remember correctly. I may be wrong.

November 02, 2007, 06:56:17 PM
its quite amazing sometimes what inspired youth is able to create and accomplish.

as for Vikingligr Veldi, its a wonderfully enchanting album. an exceptional take on black metal by Enslaved.

and those photos are breathtaking. 90% of your country is like that? wow, must be nice waking up there. heh.

November 02, 2007, 10:38:01 PM
i think the guys in Emperor were about 17ish when they did the split with Enslaved...which i like better than both "In the Nightside Eclipse" and "Vikingligr Veldi", although all said work is fucking awesome.

November 03, 2007, 03:22:25 PM
Central Asia is quite beautiful methinks. I have always wanted to visit Ukraine and Siberia.

Vikingligr Veldi is an excellent album and I appreciated it ever since I first heard it. Of course, the full depth and multi-faceted brilliance of it didn't strike until repeated listening. The album itself is more narratively-composed and well-structured than most BM and is full of wanderlust and triumph.

Dunkelheit

November 03, 2007, 05:08:37 PM
You can never expect a band to top a masterpiece, but it still angers me how Enslaved has completely abandoned their original drive, spirit, and talent. I've only heard a few songs here and there from the newer stuff but as usual it sounds like rock music. Vikinligr Veldi is amazing, the melodies always get stuck in my head and it definitely presents the most tasteful use of keyboards ever in metal. It has such atmosphere and a progressive structure too. No one has mentioned the lyrics in this thread, which are quite good. They're pretty vague and straight forward, but give a real spiritual view of the Norsemen. They're at times poetic without going over the top, and they have continuous references to mythology and paganism.

A Winter's Night

A dark, chilling winters night
Unsilently awoken by song and dance
From above rains the golden arrows of Thor
Moonbeams enlighten the ring

Nine torches for those nine in the circle
Surrounded by nine shadows for nine souls
In the middle, an altar of fire, soil, water and wind
Look, and behold yourself

They're simple lyrics, but still evoke imagery. Some of the other lyrics suffer a tiny bit from bad English, and the song Heimdallr is less subtle.. but overall they had a good approach.

Does anyone have recommendations of bands who explored a similar vein of black metal with good results? Most "Viking" Metal is plagued by cheese, cannibal corpse-isms, and inauthenticity. I'm not so much looking for viking metal, but fast, atmosphere black metal with intelligent use of synths, and a mature aesthetic. I can't currently think of any more specific ways to describe the sound, but what I am looking for is solidified in the album Vikingligr Veldi.

Vajra

November 03, 2007, 06:09:49 PM
'Heimdallr' was very interesting for me. The lyrics are static descriptions of the Norse God, screamed over blasting passages that emphasise intensity and energy at every moment. It's quite contradictory. Listen to that solo. It's very simple, merely ascending, only to create the illusion that the song is getting faster to an extent that is really beyond the musicians' capabilities. Then the song goes quiet on the vocal/lyrics front, and the other instruments enter a slow transitional phase before that beautiful melodic riff, which is like the conclusion of the song. It really sounds like the music is becoming Heimdallr (if that makes sense), with the opening riffs idealising a warlike struggle through life in order to become more like a god, calling out to Heimdallr as that archetypal deity in particular. During that transitional phase, the bass creates this very hollow effect that resembles 'going beyond' that material struggle and the final riff is acheiving the state of Heimdallr. Then the song returns to the battlefield, only, the last enunciation of 'Heimdallr' is extended as if to say this process of overcoming is ever ascending.

The other songs work in a similar way, but 'Heimdallr' is the simplest, and the 'dynamic' of the lyrics are so opposed to the nature of the music, so it's easier for me to explain! I think 'Hordanes Land' is quite similar in how it is all about experience and immersion. The first song begins with the simple keyboard riff to create the effect of breathing, which is then put into a context of violence and harsh nature by the Metal instruments, and then the proto-Heimdallr battle riff follows. After all this is a slow riff that creates a similar effect to the change of pace in 'Heimdallr', like transcending. Then the song returns to the battlefield, with the original keyboard riff turned into an amazing lead that sounds like a bird flying over the violence below. Then, interestingly, a triumphant riff closes the song but only for so long, hinting that there is no final victory, but only higher ascendence.

It's becoming one with nature to become a kind of superman. For me, I don't think Metal has been so profoundly inspiring.

November 04, 2007, 11:00:36 AM
Does anyone have recommendations of bands who explored a similar vein of black metal with good results? Most "Viking" Metal is plagued by cheese, cannibal corpse-isms, and inauthenticity. I'm not so much looking for viking metal, but fast, atmosphere black metal with intelligent use of synths, and a mature aesthetic. I can't currently think of any more specific ways to describe the sound, but what I am looking for is solidified in the album Vikingligr Veldi.

Hirilorn - Legends of Evil and Eternal Death.