Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Concerning The Clutter

Concerning The Clutter
November 02, 2007, 11:52:47 PM
This is the germination of a topic that I think is worth considering.

Recently, I've noticed that the ANUS' internet "footprint", if you will, has grown considerably. We now have many different sites that express similar ideologies. This is good.

However, concerning the main site, anus.com, I feel that perhaps the structure could be improved. If I think back to when I first ran across the site, I can remember a much more streamlined layout. Articles and opinions were the most prominent links, and there were not many links to begin with. It was almost as if one was forced to confront the main material of the site.

Now however, due to the expansion, much more space is being devoted to things that could be potentially distracting or counterproductive to a would-be anusite. I think to fully come to grips with things here, a certain chronology of thought is required. It is my basic opinion that the more complex layout of the main page inhibits this logical progression.

Perhaps we could reserve the many other links of secondary importance (miscellaneous etc.), to a seperate area, and ensure that on the main page the most important points are read first.

Also, I think one definitely beneficial aspect of the old layout was the opening statement, the summary of what nihilism is all about. I felt like reading this intrigued and challenged me considerably, and promoted further exploration of the site's ideas.

Thoughts?

Re: Concerning The Clutter
November 03, 2007, 09:31:22 AM
Perhaps we could reserve the many other links of secondary importance (miscellaneous etc.), to a seperate area, and ensure that on the main page the most important points are read first.

Agreed.

Maybe we could regroup some areas' links under a same link ? And then there would be a small page where you choose among the sub-options. For example : I'm sure we could regroup "Literature" (TUC) and "Zine" (exponentiation e-zine) under a same link ("Writings" ? Don't know if this title will conflict with the articles, or with the music reviews) where you'd then choose to read either the zine or TUC. We'd just have to create a sub-page with links to both and a cool look.

In the same idea, maybe we could regroup the Radio and visual/graphic content (don't know what exactly) under a "Media" link. Again, with a small subpage for both links.

And maybe that's the ultimate blaspheme, but we could perhaps regroup "Heavy Metal" and "Neoclassical" under a "Music" link and subpage with both links ? We could even add the Classical section to these in the Music subpage, if/when it's considered complete enough.

Another thing : maybe that's just me, but naming the articles' database "Perspectives" might be confusing. Can't we name that link "Articles" or "Past Articles" or something like that ? With the word "article" in it. Maybe that would be more clear, but then again I'm maybe the only one to find that this could be a problem.

Also, I think one definitely beneficial aspect of the old layout was the opening statement

Yes, absolutely. I second that.

November 03, 2007, 11:00:40 AM
The "Nihilism" section...

Nihilism
Definition
Philosophy
Perspectives

...should get more space and perhaps a bigger font to look more important than culture and forums. I don't think that the metal forums being in the first links is a good thing for new visitors, especially if they don't know metal.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

November 03, 2007, 01:04:55 PM
We should make ANUS-TV the home page.

shadowmystic

November 06, 2007, 03:34:45 AM
^^ That way people might actually get what they're expecting when they type anus.com into their browser.

November 11, 2007, 01:16:40 AM
Our concerns have been submitted to the editor. I will keep you posted.

November 11, 2007, 05:16:56 AM
Maybe we could regroup some areas' links under a same link ? And then there would be a small page where you choose among the sub-options. For example : I'm sure we could regroup "Literature" (TUC) and "Zine" (exponentiation e-zine) under a same link ("Writings" ?

How many sub-pages do you want to make people navigate through? I don't like the clutter, but the elephant in the room here is that for ANUS to grow, it needs writing/content that can join some of these different concepts.

November 11, 2007, 11:20:40 AM

How many sub-pages do you want to make people navigate through?

I'd prefer to even avoid that, but if we agree on reducing the number of links on the ANUS frontpage the things must land somewhere. One sub-page level is all we'd need, as said above. We then should just make it nice so that instead of saying "Grmbl, a damn intermediary page to access what I want" people would say "Oh, there are many interesting things there, the page looks beautiful and that exponentiation e-zine logo attracts me, I'm gonna click on it. The short description under it sounds interesting, it's what I was looking for."

So, we'd need :

- A webpage per "family" of content, nice-looking. Maybe looking different from each other, if we have the time (via a banner, or the character type for the title, or both ?) The most difficult thing is to agree on what to put together and what to leave alone (some things would still be accessed directly from ANUS homepage).

- On the page itself, a list of the links with graphic logo and title for each one (a perfect example of what it would be is what you can see on top of the Zine page. For The Undiscovered Country, an image with just the green letters on black background, just as can be seen on the page, would be perfect. And so on. Each section already has its graphic identity, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.)

- A navigation system of some sort at the bottom of the page (and/or top ?).

And we're done. No need to touch to any section in itself, we're just presenting them from a kind of attractive menu.

My first suggestion is :

- A "Writings" page (this is only a working title)

- On it, the Exponentiation e-zine logo/title is at the top, and the TUC logo/title is under it. Short description for each (no more than three lines).

November 12, 2007, 08:03:12 PM
From the editors:

hi,

thanks for the email.

we discussed this among the core staff members and we reached consensus on
the following:

- you make some valid points and we'll see if we can refine anus FP design

- anus will always be a museum of different exhibits, thus the fragmentary
look/organization

- we don't have time to do this right now but will attend to it in the
future