Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Blut Aus Nord

Blut Aus Nord
November 04, 2007, 10:41:55 AM
I was impressed by "The Work Which Transforms God". What are other peoples opinions of this band?

Re: Blut Aus Nord
November 04, 2007, 01:03:07 PM
Thoroughly excellent.

November 04, 2007, 10:23:52 PM
Disturbing, cold, evil, mind-altering.

in a word? Great.

JJ

November 05, 2007, 01:42:43 AM
I thought I was the only one around here who values them. Give Mort a listen.

November 05, 2007, 02:03:23 AM
Mort is not a good album.  Fathers of the Icy Age and The Work Which Transforms God are both excellent, however, and show the band in two completely different musical eras for them.

The last two, Mort and Odinist, were horrendously boring, however.  Lots of bands mix ambient and metal, BAN did this very well on TWWTG, but Mort was just too repetitive for its own good.  Odinist was even worse.

shadowmystic

November 05, 2007, 08:21:02 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought they failed miserably, a few good ideas that just failed to come together and form any kind of coherence, not interesting at all, on any album.

November 05, 2007, 09:56:41 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought they failed miserably, a few good ideas that just failed to come together and form any kind of coherence, not interesting at all, on any album.

I wouldn't be so rude ; Ultima Thulée comes back quite often in my playlist and I've found the Enslaved-isms allied to some more ambient passages to be a quite effective approach. I can see why one wouldn't be impressed, because their music's energy doesn't "explode" like in Enslaved, it remains inside a frame while Enslaved breaks any kind of frame you'd want to put them into. But I really liked this album and it definitely is a good experience when I'm in the corresponding mood.

I'm less familiar with their experimental period but liked it at well, although I think The Mystical Beast of Rebellion has too much blasting throughout the songs. The Work Which Transforms God managed to solve this problem and offers a perhaps more mature approach ; it is a quite unique album. If I try to imagine the influences I see Mayhem and Thorns meeting Industrial played by Prog musicians (well, at least I tried...  :) ).

shadowmystic

November 05, 2007, 09:11:35 PM
I'll probably give them another shot now, I did dismiss them rather quickly last time, probably because I didn't have high expectations.

November 06, 2007, 02:39:07 AM
Fathers of the Icy Age and Ultima Thule are both above average works of black metal. I view these as some of the best representatives of a certain kind of black metal.

The bands 'experimental' period, however, I found to be trite and unconvincing. It failed both at being genuinely 'experimental' as well producing anything of beauty or power. In a word, empty.

November 06, 2007, 12:57:45 PM
I could go into it, but I enjoy The Work Which Transforms God in the same way I enjoy 'Tomhet' by Burzum.

November 06, 2007, 11:36:51 PM
Ultima Thulee is magnificent and, after many repeated listens, has revealed itself to be quite inspiring. Very cosmic-sounding at times, and the Ambient interludes are ingenious.