Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Alternative education

Alternative education
November 06, 2007, 02:17:28 AM
What are the metal forum's experiences with alternative education, like homeschooling? I'm curious as to whether or not this is any better than public institutionalized schooling.

My story is that I'm pushing my parents to have me homeschooled for the remainder of this school year. In March of next year, I'll be able to take a proficiency exam (which, when passed, functions as the equivalent of a high school diploma) and begin college about a year earlier than the flock of sheep back at school. Obviously I'll have to take community college for two years before I can transfer to a university or some place, but CLEP exams will make short work of that.

I'm currently in 11th grade, and I've attended public schools from the beginning. I can safely say that school coursework is irrelevant to my interests, boring, and repetitive. I see it as something that  mysterious state education officials who have never met me think I should learn so I can fit their standards. I've decided the best solution is to educate myself according to my own standards and take the relevant courses when I can begin college.

Re: Alternative education
November 06, 2007, 02:28:52 AM
There is absolutely no need for you to stay in normal highschool. Get yourself through with it in the most expedient way.

November 06, 2007, 12:55:17 PM
Do whatever is necessary, and to the very best of your ability, to get into a position of power with regards to change in this society.

November 06, 2007, 09:36:00 PM
Don't depend on a website to tell you what to do about schooling.

It just depends on what you want to do with your life.  If you are going to college or having a career that requires many years of education, then just suck it up.  Not everything is fun all the time.  Not everything that needs to be done is interesting or falls into your hobbies.  

It sounds like you are trying to cop out of schooling.  If that's the case, do so and make room for others who have ambition.

November 06, 2007, 09:50:38 PM
I don't want to get too drawn into this, because it's ultimately "off topic" as fuck...

But rejecting highschool doesn't mean rejecting education. It just means rejecting highschool.

I dropped out, took my GED, and immediatly went into college. It was as though highschool never existed.

Unless you already have an incredible GPA, and are aiming to acquire a shitload of scholarships, don't bother finishing.

chrstphrbnntt

November 06, 2007, 10:40:31 PM
I dropped out, took my GED, and immediatly went into college. It was as though highschool never existed.

If you don't mind: at what age/grade?

November 06, 2007, 11:07:30 PM
Yes, highschool is a load of bs. Made very little (if any) impact on my future education and career. Anyone have any experience with Steiner schools or anything like them? I met a girl who taught at a Steiner school and she seemed to teach the students a lot about Norse Mythology and even sung in ancient Norse. I liked this idea. Basically nothing was taught to me in any of my schooling about the Norse gods and such. I was at a public school and they gave us christian scripture classes and it wasnt even a religious school. If you didnt want to participate you needed a signed note from your parants (although this was primary school... not highschool so a little of topic).

November 07, 2007, 01:13:59 AM

It just depends on what you want to do with your life.  If you are going to college or having a career that requires many years of education, then just suck it up.  Not everything is fun all the time.  Not everything that needs to be done is interesting or falls into your hobbies.  

Agreed.

Also, even if you think you know what you want to do in grade 11 (not sure what that is in America, are you 17?) how confident are you that this choice will be wise in 10 or 20 years? Leaving school and taking a direct path to this chosen career is quite limiting even if it gets you there faster. Also, education even if not immediately practical is still worthwhile.

And finally, why does it have to be relevant to your interests? You are not an island, you are to be a functional part of society, so quit being so damn self obsessed.

November 07, 2007, 02:11:17 AM
I took the GED, military, college route.

However, high school is probably necessary for those below 120 IQ and useless for those below 90. Designing for a qualitative median gives us abundant mediocre to poor results. No child left behind for Jesus sake, amen. Voter approved.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

November 07, 2007, 04:05:21 AM
Also, education even if not immediately practical is still worthwhile.

This is almost irrelevant to the intended topic of the thread.

The thing is, education; learning in general, never stops as long as we are alive and conscious. Education is always worthwhile. The methods in which it is delivered needs to be observed, however.

The fact that my country can pay these lardasses ~$50,000 a year in tax money to sit around and mark letters on a paper which, ostensibly proves that we are learning something, and ultimately decides our fate is, quite simply, absurd, but not surprising. And that intelligent individuals like myself aren't being put in more useful positions but instead forced to suck our thumbs forty hours per week in front of these state-sponsored babysitters we call "teachers" is just even more bullshit, but again, is not surprising. Not at all surprising for a society headed straight for collapse.

This is what I have learned with the aid of the public education system.

However, none of this is intended to mean that no academic learning goes on whatsoever at these prisons, as I've had a few great teachers who were also rightfully dissuaded by the way the education system is run, and actually managed to teach the students about the subject and how it relates to the grand scheme of things, rather than what to study for in the next test, but a majority of the teachers fail to live up to their job title like these teachers did. Teaching credentials do not make a teacher.

I could have my masters in Computer Science before I'm 21, and high school is all that is in my way. Essentially, I'm doing society a favor (if my only purpose in it is to work) by circumventing their system, which only hinders my growth, so I can serve it better in the future.

The education system is perfect for the majority who fall under 120 IQ, definitely living more for their own solipsistic purposes than anything; they're needed to fill the office cubicles downtown. No room for creative people there.

Before public schooling was mandatory, a majority of what would be called formal education was acquired at home and taught by the family. It's not possible today since everyone's parents are working late shifts at the bomb factories.

November 07, 2007, 05:21:12 AM

However, none of this is intended to mean that no academic learning goes on whatsoever at these prisons, as I've had a few great teachers who were also rightfully dissuaded by the way the education system is run, and actually managed to teach the students about the subject and how it relates to the grand scheme of things, rather than what to study for in the next test, but a majority of the teachers fail to live up to their job title like these teachers did. Teaching credentials do not make a teacher.

Sounds like your schooling system is much worse then the one I went through. Although I could say that the majority of my high school teachers were not the greatest, I find that they would at the very least present the content. If they were that terrible, it would be up to the student to teach themselves the content once they knew what it was. Overall though, my teachers explained things reasonably well.

I could have my masters in Computer Science before I'm 21, and high school is all that is in my way. Essentially, I'm doing society a favor (if my only purpose in it is to work) by circumventing their system, which only hinders my growth, so I can serve it better in the future.

Two things I would say to this, the first is, I found high school left me with ample free time, and extra education could easily be done concurrently. The second is that, while you would have a computer science degree, you perhaps would not have an understanding of physics, chemistry, biology, English or any other subject that would be taught at high school. While the content in these subjects at a high school level is quite simple, and you could probably teach it to yourself, you are presented with the opportunity to learn it which you will not occur again, why not make the most of it? Is getting your degree at 21 as opposed to 23 that important (just making up numbers here, but the point remains).

The education system is perfect for the majority who fall under 120 IQ, definitely living more for their own solipsistic purposes than anything; they're needed to fill the office cubicles downtown. No room for creative people there.

I would have to disagree. The majority of what I learnt in high school would be utterly useless in an office environment. In fact, if you dropped out in grade 10 or so you would probably know all you need to fill a drone job.

I am quite sure, being from a different country is causing much of our opposing views. While high school is fair from the complete education, it does present you with opportunities that you may not receive again, and if it does not seem fulfilling, you can simply do more in your spare time?

November 07, 2007, 03:56:55 PM
But rejecting highschool doesn't mean rejecting education. It just means rejecting highschool.

In regard to my previous post, it is important to say that I did this as well.  I rejected high school and ended up in a local community college.  I could have went on from there, but my career path didn't require it.  I still think I should have stayed in school though.  Sometimes you need to do things for yourself and build your own discipline.  That means doing things you don't always think is the most important thing in the world.  

I don't know.  I guess if you take the cards you are dealt and do the best with them, that's all anyone can ask.  

November 07, 2007, 04:59:23 PM
I would have to disagree. The majority of what I learnt in high school would be utterly useless in an office environment.

The majority of what you learn at college is also useless in a work environment. It mostly just serves as a method to choose who is admitted into that work environment and who is not. College is great, and you have the opportunity to learn or teach yourself things that you otherwise could not have had. Just that a lot of what you MUST learn is not entirely relevant in the grand scheme of things.

November 09, 2007, 03:06:35 AM
What are the metal forum's experiences with alternative education, like homeschooling? I'm curious as to whether or not this is any better than public institutionalized schooling.

My story is that I'm pushing my parents to have me homeschooled for the remainder of this school year. In March of next year, I'll be able to take a proficiency exam (which, when passed, functions as the equivalent of a high school diploma) and begin college about a year earlier than the flock of sheep back at school. Obviously I'll have to take community college for two years before I can transfer to a university or some place, but CLEP exams will make short work of that.

I'm currently in 11th grade, and I've attended public schools from the beginning. I can safely say that school coursework is irrelevant to my interests, boring, and repetitive. I see it as something that  mysterious state education officials who have never met me think I should learn so I can fit their standards. I've decided the best solution is to educate myself according to my own standards and take the relevant courses when I can begin college.

I'd say the best way to go is just to finish high school normally. That way you can go to a university right away instead of spending two years in a community college. You're right, high school education is for the most part boring and irrelevant. But it's probably best to play along with the standard education scheme for now to set yourself up for a better future. If you just get good SAT scores, you'll be fine.

As far as college education being useful in the real world, I wouldn't know anything about that. I'm a philosophy major! ;D Seriously though, for now I'm planning on getting my doctorate and becoming a professor. From what I can tell, it's the only way I can study what I like and still make decent money.

November 16, 2007, 02:21:03 AM
Homeschooling can be a good option. You may have to do extra work to learn to socialize, but it's not all that difficult once you get over any self-confidence issues that you may have. Also you'll want an extra curricular activity or three so you can meet ladies/trolls.

You should also invite a horde of negroes, pedophiles, Christians, crack addicts, white collar criminals and Furries to your house so you can experience "diversity."