Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Music to fall asleep to/how it affects your dreams

I never fail to fall asleep listening to Jesu' Tod by Burzum, it's just hypnotic.

I don't recall any significant dreams when I slept with that song playing. It's generally very peaceful sleep with Burzum, almost like a meditative state.

On the other hand, I have one prominent experience with Satyricon. I was listening to Nemesis Divina before bed. I fell alseep afterwhich, I switched off the CD player then. The first thing that happened after I went into sleep was a damn sleep paralysis then an overwhelming sensation of falling into an endless abyss of darkness, it's pretty bad, I felt truly helpless as I recalled now. Then I heard a black metal vocal like growling, that exact same growling heard in Nemesis Divina. Terrified, I forced myself up from lying down and tried to calm myself down.

I once fell asleep in an EBM club in london. Granted i was intoxicated at the time, but it was one of the strangest nights sleep i have ever had. There was VNV Nation and otehr similar artists playing as loud as anything, and somehow i managed to fall alseep, its one of the only times i've been able to when listening to such loud music, but if you do get into such a mood, it is highyl recomended. The music stays with you, and becomes a soundtrack to your dreams, rather than directing the dream itself, it enhances it in some way.

I fell alseep afterwhich, I switched off the CD player then. The first thing that happened after I went into sleep was a damn sleep paralysis then an overwhelming sensation of falling into an endless abyss of darkness, it's pretty bad, I felt truly helpless as I recalled now.

It's called the hypnagogic myoclonic twitch. You don't need Satyricon to induce it.

That club event was very cool. Unfortunately I had the opposite sort of experience during a Redrum show featuring Images of Violence and a number of friend formed bands. Devourment was playing and I was sitting on the red couch near the mix board. I couldn't keep my eyes open at all but instead of having a rest I was constantly feeling disoriented and frustrated. My dream basically became my memory and mind bonding and I can't keep track of whether I am awake or experiencing a dream, so I tend to not trust my senses even though I am awake (in my dreams the landscape is constantly changing) but trust them enough to wonder about the hallucinations that do occur. It happens to me in odd situations such as when I was driving home one night and pulled over to rest, and in Basic Combat Training when I would wake up and see shadows doing odd things with my perception, and then not believe or understand the guard when he told me the Drill Sergeant wanted to see me because I thought it wasn't real.
I'm not sure if I can recall the effect of music on my dreams, since by then my brain is scrambling the memory of the dream and experience so it doesn't always stay. I can remember at times falling asleep to a long playlist of Carlin or something else, and during my sleep Carcass and Morbid Angel come upon the player, so that some bizarre sound enters my half awake mind or even my dream and all dialog or listening within the state is blurred into the distortion of the music and the world becomes chaos and I find my character (whichever way I am formed or participating) retreating from the objects around due to their lack of sense and looking for something else.
I've also experienced the affect of music and sleep in regards to memory and recollection. I used to listen to Korn when I was in the Army and one of their albums was the only cd I had in AIT school, so I listened to it when going to bed, because I enjoyed the ambiance of it, at least in that it was as far as I had gotten with experiencing ambient music outside of Tool. I don't tend to that band anymore, but on the rare occasion I have listened to that album for whatever reason, the smell of AJAX, old wall paint, cheap mattresses and a dusty floor always comes back to me, the sensation of being in those barracks rooms comes back to my perception.

PTSD anyone?  :o

Perhaps, waking up to artillery fire wasn't that much fine either. ;D

About as fun actually as that Devourment show. :'(

Ildjarn always puts me to sleep no matter when I listen to it, and I'm talking about the heavy stuff not his ambient albums.  Also Symphoniae Sarcrosanctae Phasmatvm's-"Path to Yirah," if you've heard of it, has given me some strange effects when trying to sleep with it playing, such as strange vibrations that I had originally thought might have something to do with astral projection (although now I doubt that because I haven't gotten anywhere near there despite the number of times I felt these particular "vibrations").

The best death metal for sleep is Obituary, early Gorguts or Infester. I can sleep to just about any music but not predictably, because often I become so involved in listening that I never fully get to sleep, just waking dreams.

As far as music putting me to sleep, Devourment or newer Suffocation would do it in a snap.

LBJ

May I suggest, if you are up for a little alchemy to start taking 1 dose of 50 mg Zinc & 2 doses of 250 mg Magnesium before you go to bed. I found this by studying various nutritional supplementation articles, it's main purpose is to raise testosterone levels (10 to 15 percent) HOWEVER, it makes you have fascinating dreams as well, to quote someone whom I cant recall the name, You could write books about the dreams you have on ZMA (the industry term for this supplemental combination).

On that previous note of pre-sleep ingestion, may I suggest smoking some Calea zacatechichi or "dream herb" and then listening to whatever are the best dream evoking sounds available. I've done it while listening to a few Sol Invictus albums and a doom band called Yob with excellent results, although I still feel as though I haven't discovered the best dream music.

Maybe Electric Doom Synthesis will bring a new dimension to the dreams.

chrstphrbnntt

May I suggest, if you are up for a little alchemy to start taking 1 dose of 50 mg Zinc & 2 doses of 250 mg Magnesium before you go to bed. I found this by studying various nutritional supplementation articles, it's main purpose is to raise testosterone levels (10 to 15 percent) HOWEVER, it makes you have fascinating dreams as well, to quote someone whom I cant recall the name, You could write books about the dreams you have on ZMA (the industry term for this supplemental combination).

I have had some ZMA supplement for a while, and decided to try it last night. I've decided that ZMA + sleep deprivation + Burzum = bad idea. Extremely vivid , brutal nightmares. I had trouble brushing my teeth from the hallucinations, and I'm still a bit disoriented. I'll give it another shot tonight, with more sleep and calmer music.

Vhernen - S.y.b.e.r.i.a.

I know this post is old but I felt that I should unearth it again.  I listen to a lot of music when I sleep. It helps me out because I have horrible Insomnia. I listen to a lot of ambient/minimalist music to put me to sleep.

Here are my recommendations:

Robert Rich-Trances/Drones

Bohren und der Club of Gore-Sunset Mission-One of my all time favorite albums. Not ambient but downtempo jazz. There music would not be out of place in a David Lynch film. Black Earth is another great album from them as well.

William Basinski-Disintegration Loops-1-4

Krill Minima-Nautica-great ambient/drone album about the ocean.

Mathias Grassow-The Falcon (song)

Robert Rich & Alio Die-Fissures

Wereju-any album-great dark ambient from Ireland

Rapoon-any album from them. Rapoon is former Zoviet France member Robin Story's project. Great stuff especially the album Fires from the Borderlands.

Popol Vuh-Aguirre: The Wrath of God soundtrack. The title track from this ost is amazing.

Early Katatonia, Lurker of Chalice, Early Skinny Puppy, and tons more are also good. I'm tired and I'm going to bed. If interested I can make a list of some excellent ambient albums.

Popol Vuh-Aguirre: The Wrath of God soundtrack. The title track from this ost is amazing.

I need that ost so bad. Aguirre is my favorite film of all time and the soundtrack is just perfect.

I've gone to sleep to Lustmord and Raison d'etre on many occasions. That was back when I was a bit more adventurous with my sleeping habits (I used to stay up for days writing music).  But that dark ambient stuff just tends to give me weird dreams and I can hear the music while I dream which just makes my sleep even more uneasy. I've got too many responsibilities now to do that kind of experimentation often. If I do go to sleep to anything it would have to be something minimalistic but with a rather soothing atmosphere, not that sense of foreboding one finds in stuff like Lustmord.

I need that ost so bad. Aguirre is my favorite film of all time and the soundtrack is just perfect.

I've gone to sleep to Lustmord and Raison d'etre on many occasions. That was back when I was a bit more adventurous with my sleeping habits (I used to stay up for days writing music).  But that dark ambient stuff just tends to give me weird dreams and I can hear the music while I dream which just makes my sleep even more uneasy. I've got too many responsibilities now to do that kind of experimentation often. If I do go to sleep to anything it would have to be something minimalistic but with a rather soothing atmosphere, not that sense of foreboding one finds in stuff like Lustmord.

heres the link for the aguirre soundtrack

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWNUQ22Q