Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Music to fall asleep to/how it affects your dreams

I try not to sleep to any music or noises or anything, lest I become dependent on it. Too many people I know fall asleep to movies or music or television or radio.

I try not to sleep to any music or noises or anything, lest I become dependent on it. Too many people I know fall asleep to movies or music or television or radio.

yeah, like a soundtrack to their illusory working-class lives.

it's typical how many people review ambient music as "put this on and fall asleep to it", which totally misses the point. the music still requires attention just tuned to a different level.

I only really do it if i'm in the right mood, but sometimes you just gotta crash with now distractions.
In a state of permanent Abyss

yeah, like a soundtrack to their illusory working-class lives.

it's typical how many people review ambient music as "put this on and fall asleep to it", which totally misses the point. the music still requires attention just tuned to a different level.

I might add that sleeping to music does both the music and your attention span an injustice.

Actually, there are a lot of ambient musicians who create music for the sole purpose of its listening is to induce people to sleep. Robert Rich pioneered this in the early 80's with his sleep in concerts. He has started to bring them back as well. I mainly listen to ambient music anymore these days. The metal scene has imploded on itself and ambient music to me is the next logical step. Ambient is more adventurous and seems to have no boundaries.  I can listen to ambient when I drive and when I sleep.

Also, check out Steve Roach's new opus, A Deeper Silence. It is amazing.

I might add that sleeping to music does both the music and your attention span an injustice.

I have never felt that music which has put me to sleep has affected my actual sleep. I don't know any of the technical jargon, but the ambient music which I listen to right before sleep puts my mind into some kind of rhythmic pattern which is relaxing because it is known. It essentially repeats itself, and sustaining a rhythm is the most important aspect it seems to get one to sleep.

Once you are sleeping, whatever dreams come about I don't think have anything to do with the music you just listened to. If they do, they have as much to do with what you dream as anything else does, in my opinion.

heres the link for the aguirre soundtrack

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWNUQ22Q

Thank you very much, sir.

I've heard some of this music, but what I meant was that any music that is used for the background of anything is devalued. Metal, for example, demands the listener's full attention.

Music should demand the listener's full attention, but most modern music is too simple for that, so it makes great sleepytime music.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

I fell asleep listening to Financial Sense (a weekly financial podcast) and I was dreaming of technical charts and trendlines  ::)

Music should demand the listener's full attention, but most modern music is too simple for that, so it makes great sleepytime music.

I had Shubert's 9th playing while laying in bed the other day, impossible for me to fall asleep.
Jazz music works though, I recommend you "Bitches Brew" for a good night sleep.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

Debussy and Saint-Saens make for good dreams. I think when one sleeps, it is wisest to think like a Southerner.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

Usually when I listen to music it doesn't affect my dreams, but my imagination starts to wander while I am in a waking state.  It seems that whenever I am falling asleep all music tends to do is to put me into the stage right before sleep.  Burzum usually takes me to an almost mystical forest, whereas Mortiis usually takes me to towers, castles, or ruins thereof.  Limbonic Art usually takes me to the stars or below the earth.  It all matters what I am listening to.

I recommend Neptune Towers, Lord Wind, or Burzum's Hlidskjalf...

Though I generally agree, the time preceding sleep can be an excellent time to appreciate good music. With no distractions even as basic as light or external noise, the mind is able to fully focus and dissect great pieces in a trance-like state.