Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Music to fall asleep to/how it affects your dreams

I sleep to music not for experimental purposes, but for simply being able to fall asleep.

Don't despair. ;-)

I also find the album to be particularly fitting for falling asleep and letting the music reach you subconsciously. It has a deep meditative/trance-like dimension that can only be reached when the mind loses its grip like when you fall asleep or have a really bad fever (in the second case it becomes terrifying, and you'll find yourself feeling such things as : "but where's the ground ?").

The Necromantia / Varathron split "Black Arts Lead To Everlasting Sins" has a relaxing effect on me and is perfect to listen to in an evening or a night at loud volume, to set a favourable ambience for preparing me to sleep. A Metal album must not sound too aggressive in order to accomplish this ; and Greek BM, this split in particular, is perfect in that regard. It's heavy, but relaxed and confident. Like a spell.

Unfortunately I don't dream often, or perhaps I don't remember dreams. So I haven't experienced dreams after having listened to music yet. But I could feel good when waking up, the mind cleared.

Huzzah!!!! Thank you very much. i will go about getting that album right away.  ;D

also, the split between Varathron and Necromantia is interesting. well at least Varathron's side is. i never really got into Necromantia's side. though i do find it interesting that they do not employ guitars.

Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians, Rhys Chatham's A Crimson Grail: For 400 Electric Guitars... will edit in more later.

Do you have those ? Can you upload them ?

If you're interested in experiments in dreaming, you can always give melatonin a try. People who sleep dreamlessly have reported to have extremely vivid dreams with this stuff and you can buy it over the counter at any pharmacy.

I might be alone on this one, but sleeping with music on is really troublesome for me, unless I've just smoked tremendous amounts of marijuana.

chrstphrbnntt

Do you have those ? Can you upload them ?

I haven't ripped them to my computer yet. However, it seems some blogs I occasionally visit have uploaded both:

A Crimson Grail: For 400 Electric Guitars (2007, megaupload)
Music for 18 Musicians (1998, filesend)

Personally, I prefer the Ensemble Modern recording of Music for 18 Musicians; I'll try to get it ripped and uploaded. Nonesuch do an amazing job of the piece, too, though -- it's just personal preference.

If you're interested in experiments in dreaming, you can always give melatonin a try. People who sleep dreamlessly have reported to have extremely vivid dreams with this stuff and you can buy it over the counter at any pharmacy.

I wouldn't recommend this. I've used melatonin over the course of some months to help combat sleeping problems, and while it did a decent job at that, it also made me extremely tired and sleepy during the overall day. Of course this all differs from person to person, but it's not worth it really.

Some excellent music suggestions in this thread so far, by the way.

Vajra

At 7 hours long, Robert Rich's 'Somnium' is an Ambient work made to be slept to. I don't have the means to play this appropriately so I haven't listened to it myself. Somebody should test it out.

This guy has collaborations with Steve Roach and Lustmord incase you doubt his credibility.

I think the original poster should read that first chapter of a Burzum story if they haven't already and hear what Varg says the purpose of his early albums were as far as sleep goes.

I might be alone on this one, but sleeping with music on is really troublesome for me, unless I've just smoked tremendous amounts of marijuana.

hahaha. thats usually when i choose to fall asleep to music as well.

but i am able to do it without smoking. i take up to an hour to fall asleep (which can be quite irritating), so i am able to almost fully experience an album before i drift off.

chrstphrbnntt

Actually, the same applies to me most of the time. I just like to put on a little minimalism whenever I have trouble sleeping.

chrstphrbnntt

collaborations with... Lustmord

Stalker is an amazing collaboration; a must-hear for any Lustmord fan.

if i were to say i were interested in listening to Mr. Lustmord, which work would you suggest i start with?

This is actually a quite refreshing morning album for me, most powerful when the sun has yet to rise.

@dead: Get Heresy first. It's the most enduring album of its kind and, from what I hear, the first.

chrstphrbnntt

@dead: Get Heresy first. It's the most enduring album of its kind and, from what I hear, the first.

Very good album; however, The Place Where Black Stars Hang is more memorable. It's more subtle than Heresy.

It's more subtle than Heresy.

This is indeed true, but I like Heresy more for its occult, arcane, horroresque nature whereas TPWTBSH is more outer-spacey... Honestly, I can't get myself to say either is "better."

When I first bought Heresy, my psyche lapsed into a ritual: every time I heard for it about three weeks, I passed out around the beginning of the second track, and by the time something happens on track 3 (anyone who has heard this album knows what I'm referring to), I wake up, confused.

Lustmord's collab with Robert Rich, Stalker, is EXCELLENT and adds a naturalistic dimension, unfound elsewhere in his canon. It's PERFECT for early morning hours..