Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Negativity

Negativity
November 11, 2007, 05:19:12 AM
Really, fuck that. Negativity is what happens in the void of creativity. It's not negative to point out that our world is headed toward doom, if you see it as an opportunity.

Metal has never been negative so much as creative in a space of negativity, like post-apocalyptic novels... "Here in the radiation, surrounded by techno-feces, we strive... for the fucking fun of it."

Re: Negativity
November 11, 2007, 05:50:31 AM
I think that is an excellent way of putting it, Born For Banning.

Perhaps those who can only hear it as 'negative' are those who immediatly wither and die in a 'void', rather than make something better out of it.

Have you read Paradise Lost? This seems to capture what you said perfectly, especially with Lucifer as the protagonist here... Once cursed by Jehovah, Lucifer and the rest of the fallen host end up in Hell, which is a void. Everyone shits themself in despair, except Lucifer, who declares, "This is our Kingdom", and transforms it into a place of power.

November 11, 2007, 01:10:42 PM
In my experience people are quick to label thinking as negative when it brings to knowing what they would rather ignore, or what these people refuse to see as a possibility of truth because it does not receive assent by the dominant social contract.

"creative in a space of negativity"; Thats a pretty keen observation, maybe because metal is centered on a direct reality of substance, and to gather understanding in this sense can really only be understood around pessimism and negativity because of the wanning civilization whose fallacies are at least attempted to be reground and corrected, if not merely being pointed out as existing, by some musicians.

November 11, 2007, 07:36:05 PM
I agree with this completely.  Knowing your surroundings and accepting them for what they are is miles more positive than the heards of idiots who live in denial but pretend things are going well.  

Metal to me has always been the place where ideas surface that have been repressed by the masses.  if you repress any part of humanity it will come up somewhere else in a more comfrontational form than before.  If anything is causing negativity it's the repression, while metal has always been quick to comfront.

November 12, 2007, 02:01:25 AM
I agree with this completely.  Knowing your surroundings and accepting them for what they are is miles more positive than the heards of idiots who live in denial but pretend things are going well.

That sounds very realistic, which is like nihilism, except more like Zen because it has to happen to you before it can be given a name.

November 12, 2007, 11:11:26 PM
I believe in miracles!

November 13, 2007, 01:18:37 AM

That sounds very realistic, which is like nihilism, except more like Zen because it has to happen to you before it can be given a name.

you know. the IQ system is based on comparison, and if everyone below the IQ of 120 died, those of 120 IQ would end up with 100..

November 13, 2007, 02:45:51 AM
you know. the IQ system is based on comparison, and if everyone below the IQ of 120 died, those of 120 IQ would end up with 100..

I rather think you've missed the point. It isn't a numbers contest for fuck's sake!!

shadowmystic

November 13, 2007, 04:33:22 AM
hehe, i want more retards so my IQ will go up.  :)

November 13, 2007, 04:35:14 AM

I rather think you've missed the point. It isn't a numbers contest for fuck's sake!!

no I didn't miss the point, I'm just saying something somewhat unrelated.

November 13, 2007, 06:59:30 AM
no I didn't miss the point, I'm just saying something somewhat unrelated.

um...okay.

November 13, 2007, 10:43:23 PM

Most people don't understand how this works.

A reference population is chosen. IQ is adjusted so the mean is at 100.

That means roughly have above, roughly half below... God help them.

If we killed everyone under 120, we might have no need to pick a reference population. If we did, the new 100 would be exactly in the middle.

November 20, 2007, 03:58:35 AM
Hm, does anyone have any recommendations for reliable IQ tests?  I've never actually done one. Are online tests like http://www.iqtest.com/ adequate?

November 20, 2007, 07:17:54 AM
IQ means next to nothing. The only thing an IQ test can show you is how good someone is at passing an IQ test. (and no i'm not just saying this because my IQs below 120)

shadowmystic

November 20, 2007, 08:14:17 AM
True, for an individual, but if everyone under 120 IQ died it would most likely make the ratio of constructive people : retards look a little better.  It's not like we have the ability to interview every person, so, as crude as it is, IQ will have to do for now.