Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Photographs

Recent Photographs
November 17, 2007, 11:18:30 PM
Several people have expressed interest in pictures I've posted here before, so here's some more, from the last couple months.

Traveling upstream through the gravelly floodplain of a glacial river, the path ascends a small rise onto a former river terrace.  On this terrace one is immediately confronted with a inescapable sense of time travel.  Along both sides maples rise into a cathedral, mossy beards hanging several feet from each limb, ferns and other growth sprouting high up in the trees.  The stand is so ancient that the individual trees are often rotted through, and shaped by winter storms into ungainly shapes that appear to defy the laws of physics.  One is struck by all the catastrophies narrowly averted which allowed this forest to develop over the last several thousand years.  Time spent here is priceless.

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Recent Photographs
November 17, 2007, 11:57:18 PM
Exactly where in the Pacific Northwest do you reside? Wherever it is, it sure as hell is more beautiful than Kentucky.

November 18, 2007, 12:08:39 AM
You. Lucky. Bastard.

November 18, 2007, 01:56:04 PM
Living near such stunning countryside must really enhance the black metal listenning experience. You're very lucky.

November 18, 2007, 10:28:57 PM
I live in Bellingham, Washington; 90 miles north of Seattle and about 50 south of Vancouver BC.  I am certainly lucky to live here, but I must say that if I didn't live somewhere that is beautiful, I would move.  In fact, I'm moving to Anchorage next summer for that reason.  So what are you all waiting for?

November 19, 2007, 01:09:18 AM
I live in Bellingham, Washington; 90 miles north of Seattle and about 50 south of Vancouver BC.  I am certainly lucky to live here, but I must say that if I didn't live somewhere that is beautiful, I would move.  In fact, I'm moving to Anchorage next summer for that reason.  So what are you all waiting for?

I live in San Francisco, so I don't think I"ll be moving anytime soon   8)

But you have some excellent photos there. Kudos.

November 19, 2007, 05:34:27 AM

this mirrors my thoughts exactly. though i have to live in utter disgust of my current surroundings i know that this will not always be, it simply cannot. or death. love of one's surroundings in this sense is an artistic sensitivity.

thanks very much for sharing these photos

November 19, 2007, 04:04:18 PM
From earlier this morning:

Considering my turn around time is usually around six months, I'd say three hours is pretty good.

November 19, 2007, 04:13:26 PM
What kind of ''gear'' do you use ?

I always wanted to do that type of thing, but didn't knew what to exactly buy and how much to invest.

All great and profound picture btw. Nature is the best inspiration in all arts.

chrstphrbnntt

November 19, 2007, 05:05:05 PM

I always wanted to do that type of thing, but didn't knew what to exactly buy and how much to invest.

You could get a pretty nice digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) camera for under a $1000USD. The most expensive cameras I've used are the entry level Nikons; I own the D50, which cost me around $900. There may be better cameras for the price, but I don't know of any.

November 19, 2007, 09:30:40 PM

I live in a town about 20 minutes outside of Anchorage so I can say with certainty that this is a beautiful place to live, although I do not get out and enjoy it nearly as much as I should.  I'm sure you'll get a lot more out of this place than I do, although I still love being here and really do appreciate it.

November 20, 2007, 03:42:57 AM

All the pictures that I've posted in this thread were taken with an old digital point and shoot that I got for free.  When I'm actually being somewhat serious about it though, I use an old fully manual Minolta X-700 (I think...) 35mm film camera, that I also got for free...  The camera itself isn't really important though.  What's important is that I use high quality film (Fugi Provia 100 or sometimes Velvia 100), a high quality polarizer, and a 50mm lens.  The lens is important because that size is relatively easy (cheap) to make both very fast (so I don't have to carry a tripod) and very sharp (so the pictures can be blown up to poster size without looking grainy).

From the perspective of professional, or the vast majority of serious amateur photographers, this is a ridiculously basic set up, but I've made it work for me.

November 20, 2007, 03:50:28 AM

You could get a pretty nice digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) camera for under a $1000USD. The most expensive cameras I've used are the entry level Nikons; I own the D50, which cost me around $900. There may be better cameras for the price, but I don't know of any.

I've got a Canon 400D (entry level D-SLR) which would also take any of the photos posted above.

The hardest part about photography is having the creativity (or spirit) to turn a still scene into something that will speak to someone who was not there. This goes beyond the camera you use!

This thread is awesome, by the way. One of the best on this site for a long time.

November 21, 2007, 02:37:24 AM
Not to take away from meganerd's excellent photos but I found an interesting climbing, hiking, and mountaineering site with many photos from most regions on Earth. In particular, a photo (http://www.summitpost.org/image/282274/171205/the-view-from-hurwal.html) from the Wallowa Mountains in Northeast Oregon caught my eye.

http://www.summitpost.org/

November 21, 2007, 02:53:15 AM
I live in Seattle and always go past the mountains when visiting relatives in NE Washington. Never really wandered about though due to a busy schedule. Those last few pictures are very profound.