Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Proselytization Compilation I: Underground Metal

Proselytization Compilation I: Underground Metal
November 18, 2007, 02:11:16 PM
Concept

Proposal: Create a compilation to appeal to alienated, insightful people ages 12-42 who might find an understanding in underground metal if the seed of its ideals is explained to them.

Method: CD-Rs with handwritten labels, enclosed in a paper enveloped made from 8x12 or A4 paper.

Content

I. Statement

"Language is a virus," said the author. A virus is a fragment of a living being that uses you, the host, to pass on its message so it creates more of itself. All of the music and media that comes at you is from a society bent on justifying itself, and this increases as this society fails.

There is one genre of music that has not bent to the law of doing what is popular, profitable, and therefore part of the virus infection of a dying society. This music, underground metal, is based on the Romanticist (Blake, Wordsworth, Poe) notion that we must look at life from a perspective outside of ourselves, and see it from the perspective of science, history, philosophy and occult religion in order to understand the significance of events in our life. It alone does not endorse the infection of our time, which is the idea that we can exist in personal realities and that we are not created by events outside of ourselves.

This music may sound disturbing to you. It is meant to, as its goal is to find beauty in darkness, and so to show us the yin-yang of good and evil, death and life, that allows us to exist. It is meant to show us that a world exists outside of our neurotic, product-driven, entertainment-guided lives. It is not for those who want to go through life by appeasing others and following the course to doom. You will be stepping to the Other Side, the only honestly different viewpoint you will find in this society, and it may change your life for good or ill. Use caution.

II. Audio

(proposed)

A. Technical Metal
1. Atheist - An Incarnations Dream
2. Gorguts - something from Erosion of Sanity
3. Demilich - something from Nespithe
B. Terrifying Metal
1. Deicide - something from Legion
2. Incantation - something from Onward
3. Obituary - something from Cause of Death
C. Cosmic Metal
1. Burzum - something from ???
2. Emperor - something from ITNE
3. Gorogoth - something from Antichrist
4. Enslaved - something from Hordanes Land
5. Graveland - something from Celtic Winter
D. Bridge to Normalcy
1. Voivod - something from Dimension Hatross
2. Slayer - ???
3. Celtic Frost - Procreation of the Wicked
4. Bathory - something from Hammerheart

Inspired by Back It Up, the thread.

Possible cover image

For Burzum, use Dunkelheit. If it's the 'Cosmic' aspect you're looking for... That's the song to use.

The Demilich song should be 'When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water'. For some reason, that one just stands out to me.

For Deicide -- Satan Spawn, the Cacodemon. The cinematic intro at the beginning, followed by the complete insanity of the rest of the song, makes it representative of Legion as an album and Deicide in general.

The Slayer is kind of difficult. If you're trying to bridge extreme metal with normalcy, I would almost suggest something like Aggressive Perfector. Then again, Slayer were far from their peak when they wrote that song.

Let me fulfill your gaps with some suggestions

Gorguts - Nostalgia
Demilich - Inherited Bowel Levitation - Reduced Without Any Effort
Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
Voivod - Psychic Vacuum
Slayer - Crypts Of Eternity
Celtic Frost - Danse Macabre (instead of "Procreation" perhaps...)

I fear that the "terryfying" category may be laughed at... I know me and my friends make fun of Deicide.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

Did anyone try distributing the Underground Metal for Non-Metal People disc? Just wondering if such ideas work out well. It's definitely a great idea to include some writing explaining the philosophical importance of metal. Once we agree on tracks someone needs to make the packaging (if we decide on what we want, I'd be willing to make something, in photoshop, word, whatever.. so we could end up with a pdf of it that's easy to print out). As far as distributing these, everyone can just burn a few, package 'em, then leave them sitting out on tables in high traffic areas of universities. You can also physically hand them out in public places, and if you've organized any kind of Hessian group, they can be used at events.

For Slayer, in the bridging to normalcy section.. I think just about any song would do as they're a very easily palated band by normals. Raining Blood should work. I second the Dunkelheit and Inherited Bowel Levitation recommendations, also.

shadowmystic

This is a very good idea, I find with these sort of compliations it's best to open with something accessible, especially if the people listening won't have heard much metal before.  Either the bridge to normalcy section or the cosmic section at the start, work them up to Deicide.  Definately agree with Gorgoroth being on there, although I would think Maaneskygans Slave would be the obvious choice.  Inno a Satana for Emperor, because it's the kind of track people are likely to like on the first listen.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to put in a couple of ambient tracks either, to add some variation and give the listener a better understanding of the music on the CD.  Burzum or Ildjarn for that catergory, or Dead Can Dance for a completely non-metal band.

Dead Can Dance, Autechre and one or two classical pieces should also be added if there is some space left...

"Northern Winds" off Hardangervidda is an excellent example of how you can tie in straight, unadulterated beauty to the "big bad ugly extreme Metal scene" for the average listener whose only experience with Metal is likely ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? and Metallica, rendering their perception of extreme Metal as "mindless grunting and noise."

I would definitely incorporate one of the more cerebral Autechre pieces, perhaps "Piezo" or "Cichli" and Dead Can Dance's "Summoning Of The Muse," making sure the Metal tracks chosen reflect a very similar, analogous beauty so that the listener can understand why seemingly unrelated genres are compiled together.

For Burzum, I highly suggest the track "Inn I Slottet Fra Drømmen".  It really works well on compilations and dare I say, even climbs to the same level of brilliance as Det Som Engang Var with it's primitive begining flowing into it's majestic conclusion.  

For Slayer, I'd say something from Hell Awaits, but I can't think of a decent track to sum up the album.

I also suggest Bathory's Fine Day to Die along with the intro simply because it really helped me get into Black Metal when I was an "alienated teen".

For Slayer, I'd say something from Hell Awaits, but I can't think of a decent track to sum up the album.

listen to "Crypts of Eternity", I suggested this one above...

my suggestions

Demilich - ,sixteenth six tooth ...,  - based on the reaction of my unproselitysed friend.

Emperor - 'Into the infinity of thoughts' is the instant name that come to my mind. Such 'cosmicness' is unmatched in a genre of screeching vocals, distorted guitars.  

Burzum - 'In the castle of dreams'
or
'tomhet' - most cosmic of all that is Burzumic.  

you can also put 'black spell of destruction' in the scary section

Slayer - 'Angel of Death' or something else from 'Reign in Blood'
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

My opinions on the Metal section:

"Terrifying/Scary Metal" seems a bit immature and misses the point the alienation was designed to signify. We don't want to create muscleheaded 'DEE-UH-SIDEEE'al idiots.

"Into The Infinity Of Thoughts" and "Inn I Slottet Fra Drømmen" DEFINITELY seconded. "Graven Takeheimens Saler," "Storming Through Red Clouds and Holocaustwinds," and "Erblicket Die Töchter Des Firmaments" are also essential. These are what I would feel to be the absolute best microcosms of BM and definitely suffice for the given purposes.

"Dead But Dreaming," "Chapel of Ghouls," "Earthly Love," "Rotting Spiritual Disembodiment," and "Of Martyrs And Men" would be my DM picks. Maybe "Gardens Of Grief" as well.

Good idea with the final section: it would be an excellent way to tie some less dissonant/abstract, more easily-understood music to ideologies that may seem extremist and could be the biggest turn-off to the masses' enjoyment of this compilation. I would nominate Bathory's "Home of Once Brave" and Slayer's "At Dawn They Sleep."

I think the choices of music are excellent, as is the opening statement.

However, the categories seem somewhat goofy and likely to lead to misinformation. "Terrifying metal" puts a smile on my face.

You know... Thinking about it for a just a moment, I think that with high quality of music you've selected, your target audience will probably be able to draw their own conclusions. Categorizing everything seems a little bit diverting. For instance, anything from In The Nightside Eclipse is already so inherently 'cosmic' that you really don't need to inform the listener that this is the case. Similarly, everything from the Deicide and Incantation albums you've chosen is already so inherently demonic, that you probably don't need to suggest it either.

Otherwise, excellent work, man. I think I'll have to draw up my own selection.

I'd be interested in hearing how your 'victims' respond to the selection.

Septicemia

As exciting as it is to have a "everybody chip in" project requiring little effort on the part of the contributors - what's wrong with Underground Metal for Non-Metal People, or for that matter, any of the Neoclassical Compilations?

chrstphrbnntt

As exciting as it is to have a "everybody chip in" project requiring little effort on the part of the contributors - what's wrong with Underground Metal for Non-Metal People, or for that matter, any of the Neoclassical Compilations?

I prefer to make my own CD-Rs for specific people, each one unique. Sometimes I add in the writing from the "Underground Metal for Non-Metal People" compilation, or write something myself. I encourage others to do the same, as no real consensus can be made as to what songs to include and how to word the included literature.

You're right. That's a better option. I need a better format for that graphic so I can print it easily and wrap the CDs in it.

Anytime I see someone who is both smart and alienated, I know there's some hope. Maybe another compilation of softer, less angry music is also needed.