Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Failure

Re: Failure
November 19, 2007, 07:24:13 PM
Epic failure = epic laugh.

Worst thing is that probably some people will take it into consideration and will want to be a ''metalhead'' like this.

I think that's why we're called Hessian.

November 19, 2007, 07:38:47 PM
Shall we do something about it?

November 19, 2007, 08:12:12 PM
Eh, aside from points 7 and 8, the first one is a far better representation of the genre than one could get from any other source "outside" of the genre, and even the first sentence of point 7 isn't bad- it's just when it turns humanist that it's wrong.

I think that these complaints are just another case of "hey, we want our genre to stay small and insignificant, so that we can feel special and unique!".

November 19, 2007, 09:00:30 PM
This isn't a representation from outside the genre; it's written by metal fans, for others, by portraying it as "normal" and a lifestyle accessory.

Your argument is just another example of someone not realising that it is better to stay insignificant than to have no reason for existence at all.

November 19, 2007, 10:04:52 PM
I don't see where it's portrayed as a lifestyle rather than as a genre of music.  Rather, it seems more to dispell the stereotypes of death metal musicians as unskilled morons bashing on their instruments.  Furthermore, it portrays it as at odds against the normal popular music paradigms in point six.

Stop striving for an excuse to be defeatist.

November 19, 2007, 10:49:02 PM
How to appreciate death metal reads like it was written by Sam Dunn.

November 19, 2007, 11:50:41 PM
I think the sort of person who would look up a list like this in order to understand the music in the first place is not really worth targeting.  "How to listen to music?" Open your ears and mind should be the first things on the list, which are unfortunately not.

November 20, 2007, 02:52:17 PM
Stop striving for an excuse to be defeatist.

Defeatist? How does death metal "succeed" other than being worthy art appreciated by worthy people?

Raise_the_Dead

November 20, 2007, 07:55:48 PM

chrstphrbnntt

November 20, 2007, 08:41:15 PM
Here's a better one:

http://www.wikihow.com/Appreciate-Authentic-Death-/-Black-Metal

Yes, much better; fixed a few spelling mistakes. I'll be sure to save this link (or host it externally) for future use.

November 20, 2007, 09:35:24 PM

Defeatist? How does death metal "succeed" other than being worthy art appreciated by worthy people?

If you believe in something, you don't want it to die with your generation.  If metal does not get recognized by more people as valid, it'll be forgotten.

November 20, 2007, 09:47:53 PM
I don't think it was ever in this site's interests to hide Metal under its skirt or render it esoteric. Good music should be available to anyone willing to listen.

November 20, 2007, 10:17:08 PM
Whoever wrote this tried to do a good job, but they fucked up two things:

1) "Death metal rocks!" - are we trying to convert Bryan Adams fans here?

2) The band list. They tried... it's still a giant dumpster of rancid rat feces frosted in the semen of deceased prog rock bands.

I like the general outlook they take however, and think we should consider working with this author to make a newer, better, smarter version of this text (the first link).

The second link is glowing pink in my browser (Firefox), and dripping little HIV virii onto the quoted text beneath, so I'm not clicking.

November 21, 2007, 06:59:53 AM
Eh, aside from points 7 and 8, the first one is a far better representation of the genre than one could get from any other source "outside" of the genre, and even the first sentence of point 7 isn't bad- it's just when it turns humanist that it's wrong.

I agree. He appears to understand the method of delivery of metal, but to misunderstand the content.