Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Vocals

Vocals
November 20, 2007, 01:58:40 PM
Yes I'm very aware of the Musician's thread but I think this issue requires special attention. I feel that since vocals in Death Metal and Black Metal are growled and screamed, it seems to lose any sense of authenticity. That's why there are teachers who give vocal lessons to become better sounding vocalists in the Metal realm. The bands, however, taking lessons are of poor quality but to fellow Hessian Intellectuals, what is the Hessian view regarding Vocals?

Re: Vocals
November 20, 2007, 06:01:35 PM
I once heard about vocal teachers who teach people who sing in metal bands how to sing growled vocals without destroying your vocal chords, but like you said, the ones who did it all kind of suck, and honestly their vocals sound very bad to me.  I don't really know, but if good bands were doing it, then I would just say vocal lessons are like guitar lessons.  

November 20, 2007, 06:37:01 PM
Most of the good singer in Metal didn't take class and learned by themselves the ''classical'' technic. It's always an interesting fact to know.

November 20, 2007, 11:14:55 PM
I think that people who complain about the "inauthenticity" (poor word choice... authentically or inauthentically what?) of death metal and black metal vocal stylistics are probably suffering from a fixation on traditional, conservatory oriented musical techniques. And really missing the point.

I generally reject most "sung" vocals in metal because I think it distorts the message of the music. Rasped, roared, or similarly 'distorted' vocals communicate one thing; "clean" vocals communicate an other. In the context of music that communicates a daemonic or feral power, daemonic and feral vocalizations seem more appropriate.

Keep in mind, the best death metal and black metal vocalizations are not merely angry shouting. It is a highly controlled sound, and should be regarded as an actual form of instrumentation, so to speak...

And by the way, it is easy to perform metal vocalizations without annihilating your voice. Especially in death metal, the sound is not abrasive to the throat. That's my experience, anyway.

November 21, 2007, 03:04:53 AM
this music is about energy and hatred. it shouldn't be so predictable that there is only one vocal style and that it adheres to the predictability and 'currentness' of the genre. most of the really great musicians had an approach that was unique in every aspect, but even beyond that; their expression was true. most black/death metal vocals today are more tradition than anything, and express nothing.

November 21, 2007, 04:12:13 AM
Yes, Dark Defender. I agree that the majority of 'metalheads' growl or rasp simply because that's what they think they're supposed to do.

However, that doesn't immediatly suggest to me that "SINGING = NEW, INNOVATIVE, GOOD!"

Beware the fetish of the New, just as much as the enshrinement of the Established.

November 21, 2007, 12:23:40 PM
Ever notice how all the best vocalists sound completely different from each other (Dolan, Vincent, Van Drunen, Tardy, Lemay, etc.)?

The reason is because none of them set out trying to shape their voice into a specific mold.

If you want to do harsh vocals, just go experiment.

Only practice will teach you how to manipulate your vocal chords, find a singing style that is comfortable for you, etc.

The only real tip to give is to try to use your throat as little as possible; the power behind your vocals should come from your lungs and diaphragm. Over reliance on the throat can cause serious health issues.

Dunkelheit

November 21, 2007, 03:26:42 PM

Only practice will teach you how to manipulate your vocal chords, find a singing style that is comfortable for you, etc.

The only real tip to give is to try to use your throat as little as possible; the power behind your vocals should come from your lungs and diaphragm. Over reliance on the throat can cause serious health issues.

Best advice right there.

As some have said before, the best vocalists have a unique sound. The answer isn't to shy away from growls and screams, but to shape your own to your own voice and the mood and tone of your music. Personally I think abandoning harsh vocals is a huge step in the wrong direction. I do like some grind bands that go for more of a talking vocal approach, though it still has to be done in a unique and stylish way.

Also don't forget to keep your throat healthy. Don't smoke, don't yell or talk too much in the day. Drink hot tea and milk.  Don't drink pop/soda. And practice your vocals often but not too much or for too long per session. Those Melissa Cross vocal lessons probably do help a bit, but don't completely focus on them. She has a dvd called the Zen of Screaming you can get.

Also to shape your sound, pay attention to the shape you make with your mouth, where you place your tongue, the angle of your head, how wide you open your mouth, etc. Also learn to suck in your gut mid scream to give you extra air.

chrstphrbnntt

November 22, 2007, 03:57:34 AM

Agreed. I doubt Luc Lemay learned how to explode his brain into a microphone on the first try, and I bet Antti Boman took a while to learn how to express his emotions through vomit.

November 24, 2007, 02:10:42 AM

Agreed. I doubt Luc Lemay learned how to explode his brain into a microphone on the first try, and I bet Antti Boman took a while to learn how to express his emotions through vomit.

I have never been a fan of Lemay's vocals. They sound forced and not very powerful to me, as if he's running out of breath. If one is looking for a misstep with the music of Gorguts, it would be that for me.

chrstphrbnntt

November 24, 2007, 03:32:15 PM

I have never been a fan of Lemay's vocals. They sound forced and not very powerful to me, as if he's running out of breath. If one is looking for a misstep with the music of Gorguts, it would be that for me.

When I think of "forced" vocals, I think of Silencer. I can see why you wouldn't like his style, though.

November 29, 2007, 01:56:30 AM
Are there metal bands who use vocals exclusively as another instrument rather than serving as a narrative portion of the song? I mean usage of vocals in the operatic style without any lyrics. I'd love to listen to them. Anyone?

November 29, 2007, 02:13:51 AM
Are there metal bands who use vocals exclusively as another instrument rather than serving as a narrative portion of the song? I mean usage of vocals in the operatic style without any lyrics. I'd love to listen to them. Anyone?

But the operatic style uses words. Perhaps you are referring to the popular effect of singing many notes on a single syllable. But anyway why would you want to here the monotonous one or two notes that can be reached by growling or screeching without words. All it would sound like would be a man dying. Useful perhaps for small interludes part hardly something I would want to listen to over a sustained period of time.

November 29, 2007, 02:32:55 AM
I mean using vocals explicitly as an instrument you know like a guitar or a violin. Something like "The great gig in the sky' but  more metal.

November 29, 2007, 06:49:42 AM
The closest thing that comes to mind is older Therion.

EDIT: the only thing that comes to mind.