Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Estuary

Estuary
November 21, 2007, 01:42:02 AM
Estuary - The Craft of Contradiction

There's so much to like about this, but then it becomes wearing down. It starts with a straight Rigor Mortis tribute of high speed riffing, but you notice immediately that for every promising beginning, there's some heavy metal termination that is a cliche because it is and always was obvious. Moments of this sound like the technical black/death of later in Immortal's career, and there are nods to Slayer and technical death bands like Pestilence. On the whole it is fast speed metal/death metal as a hybrid, even if it has deep whispery death metal voices. Parts of it, with the combined speed and technicality and really obvious pieces, reminds me of Hate Infernal and other post-death bands. I would like to like it; I almost do; however, the sheer repetition coupled with dumbass resolutions makes it unlikely I could listen to this again.

Re: Estuary
November 21, 2007, 02:19:18 AM
I have "To Exist and Endure". I bought it when i saw them roughly a year ago. Very nice people, quite approachable and friendly. Great live too. The CD is also fairly digestible. It's nothing revolutionary, just some solid thrashy death metal. I'll agree that they do become predictable after a while, and some riffs fail to stick. Give this CD a try, if you wish. If asked, id probably rate it a 75/100.

Re: Estuary
November 21, 2007, 06:14:22 AM
deadite, Craft of Contradiction is actually a step up from To Exist and Endure.

born for banning - all flaws considered, somehow I just can't give this album up. I think what hurts this band the most are the 80's thrashy riffs consisting of some variations of tremolo picking on the open E string, power chords an octave up and half step up from said octave... if that makes sense at all... the kind of riffs that Bathory innovated, Slayer mastered, and 2 decades of crust, black thrash, and hardcore bands have  overused again and again and again.