Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

IQ

Re: IQ
November 23, 2007, 05:19:59 PM
Whatever, hippie.

November 23, 2007, 05:47:42 PM
Nonetheless, the basic point here stands: it's the stupidity, stupid.

True.

We also need to speak of the wickedness of underconfident but intelligent people, often found in merchant, management or entertainment roles. I am not speaking of a specific group, but a specific type shared between groups.

STS

November 23, 2007, 11:38:38 PM
Interesting. I met a person with severe down syndrome once that was very polite and kept the cafeteria clean as a whistle. "Stupid" people might just be made for different tasks me thinks.

I've heard this one before- "where would smart people be without dumb people to do the dirty work for them?" But if we want a healthy society we don't want mental deficients and we certainly  don't want mental deficients filling any role whether it's raking the leaves or building a rocket ship. Smart people know a community requires multiple chores, large and small, dirty and clean, that need to be done right. Delegating any one of these to ingrates out of convenience like society does now is disastrous.

November 24, 2007, 01:47:55 PM
My point was more that if people hate their life, themselves, and their duties, then they won't be productive. We don't need people like this, but I'm not sure the quality of feeling fulfillment is governed by I.Q.

November 24, 2007, 01:53:43 PM
But if we want a healthy society we don't want mental deficients and we certainly  don't want mental deficients filling any role whether it's raking the leaves or building a rocket ship.

I'm also really sceptical of the kind of false elitism that comes from not having to do manual labor. "Yeah, we're smart and rich, so other people clean our shit." Then one day those other people, who outnumber you one hundred to one, rise up and kick your ass. That's what happened in Russia and France anyway.

November 24, 2007, 03:58:10 PM

I'm also really sceptical of the kind of false elitism that comes from not having to do manual labor. "Yeah, we're smart and rich, so other people clean our shit." Then one day those other people, who outnumber you one hundred to one, rise up and kick your ass. That's what happened in Russia and France anyway.

A better understanding of history helps to better illuminate the problem here - peasant revolts have been universally unsuccessful, except when combined with leadership from unscrupulous men of greater ability.  Neither the French nor Russian revolutions were spontaneous uprisings among the lower classes, in both cases, there were significant leavenings from other strata of society, and, in both cases, the leadership was drawn from among the well-educated and well-heeled.  Lenin and Robespierre weren't peasants, they were lawyers.

November 24, 2007, 04:18:11 PM
Nobody has justified present and future society's need for people under 120 IQ.

November 24, 2007, 05:18:02 PM
Most of the niches in human societies don't demand high IQ's - in fact, many functions are better filled by people of average to moderate intelligence than by their intellectual superiors.  The menial but necessary tasks that make up most of human existence are best done by those too stupid to be aware of their tedium.  Putting the intelligent to work at tasks more suitable to a serf is a major source of tension in the current society: what, you think all those smart kids are blowing away their classmates for nothing?

Besides, it's a waste of talent.

November 24, 2007, 05:47:47 PM
The menial but necessary tasks that make up most of human existence are best done by those too stupid to be aware of their tedium.

We have mostly menial necessary tasks in society because of its poor design. High IQ people not wasting their talent managing the low IQ pool and designing society around the needs of a large low IQ pool would create a more elegant civilization.

Take automobiles for one example. The typical auto factory worker, gas station attendant, parts store cashier, service mechanic or salesman is probably below 120. But, we use automobiles because we have sprawling suburbs, which is a design defect. Efficient, simplified human habitats would eliminate the need for millions of autos and consequently, millions of sub 120s imbedded within the support infrastructure.

November 24, 2007, 06:11:21 PM
Then we need loads of stupid people to rebuild our infrastructure. And we need an infrastructure for these millions of stupid people before they can start work. Then we need to destroy said infrastructure, then kill all the stupid people, who I don't think will take that very kindly.

Late

November 24, 2007, 06:49:28 PM
Hmm so nice and fun to see certain people consider themselves as special.

Iq does not equal aspiring in any meaningful way.

This guy I know, with a mensa certified iq of 150+, he is a semi-alcoholic bartender who hasn't done jack shit since high school.

The general idea of "social reform" over here is just as Utopian as communism which many people here strongly advocate against.

November 24, 2007, 07:28:24 PM
This guy I know, with a mensa certified iq of 150+, he is a semi-alcoholic bartender who hasn't done jack shit since high school.

The general idea of "social reform" over here is just as Utopian as communism which many people here strongly advocate against.

Oh, you're so different. You can style anything as utopian if it hopes for organized reform, and you're just so different for selecting apathy instead.

Mensa means little. You have to have 1300 SATs to get in, and then you can wank off with others who agree they're intelligent... and seek to do nothing about it. WTF.

Many smart people self destruct. But look how hollow your argument is! "One smart person is a fuckup, so billions of stupid people must not be." I know which side of the IQ breakdown you're on!

November 24, 2007, 08:34:05 PM

We have mostly menial necessary tasks in society because of its poor design. High IQ people not wasting their talent managing the low IQ pool and designing society around the needs of a large low IQ pool would create a more elegant civilization.

So you think intelligent people leading as a waste of talent? One of the virtues of a leader is intelligence beyond that of his peers (but also not to far beyond). So you think all leaders are wasting there talents because they spend their time organizing their subordinates?  

November 24, 2007, 08:43:34 PM
Hmm so nice and fun to see certain people consider themselves as special.

Iq does not equal aspiring in any meaningful way.

That does not mean he is not intelligent however. The IQ test does not test for peoples wills or intentions. A homeless man could have many doctorates on sciences and maths and have an IQ of 210. The IQ test cant tell if he is going to use those skills or not.

Its not a coincidence that the obviously genius thinkers of our time (such as world renowned engineers of scientists) have high IQs. Its also no coincidence that people getting progressively lower IQs depending on how retarded they are. IQ tests are useless when trying to determine who is more intelligent between people of similar IQ tests, such as 100 and 107 but it can easily be assessed that a person with an IQ of 190 will be more intelligent then a person with 60, regardless of who accomplishes more with their life.

Late

November 24, 2007, 10:19:42 PM

Oh, you're so different. You can style anything as utopian if it hopes for organized reform, and you're just so different for selecting apathy instead.

Mensa means little. You have to have 1300 SATs to get in, and then you can wank off with others who agree they're intelligent... and seek to do nothing about it. WTF.

Many smart people self destruct. But look how hollow your argument is! "One smart person is a fuckup, so billions of stupid people must not be." I know which side of the IQ breakdown you're on!

Ahh so eager to extrapolate wildly on what people have said and what you think it means.

I have never taken an iq test and I would not be surprised if the results would not be so flattering to yours truely. The point being was that it takes people of all kinds to form a good society e.g in my country overindulging in academia is a plague but do continue on in your basically self-serving quest for valiadation.