Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The sine curve

The sine curve
November 21, 2007, 06:35:26 PM
I am not a math oriented person, but I was recently contemplating the nature of trigonometric curves when I realized how it could be applied to living one's life.

If you envision the decline and triumph of great societies as a sine curve, then you realize how pointless it is to mourn over being born at such an "unfortunate" point in history. Worry not at what point on the curve of time you were born, but rather strive to better yourself and society no matter the context. It can sometimes be disheartening to realize that we are possibly in the depths of a valley, but if this knowledge provokes nothing but inaction, then you become as useless as the people that have caused our problems. Pay it no heed and fight nobly, knowing that you may never see the next triumphant crest, but that others will continue the quest long after you are gone. Great deeds can exist in any age.

Re: The sine curve
November 22, 2007, 01:45:35 AM
this brings to mind other interesting thoughts for me. if one assumes the view of civilizations as higher and lower, rising and falling then to realise that we are now in the depths might not hurt so much if we assume it shall one day rise again. inversely; to achieve the pinnacle of human existense - what does it mean if only to sink to the depths again?

November 22, 2007, 02:15:45 AM
Yes, It does.

Theoritically, It'll fall again only to rise again to it's new pinnacle. It's an innate natural process.

Prosperity will only last for so long.  

November 22, 2007, 02:26:07 AM
If you envision the decline and triumph of great societies as a sine curve, then you realize how pointless it is to mourn over being born at such an "unfortunate" point in history.
Great deeds can exist in any age.

Those deeds consist in not relying on some curve to tell you how to live, but to always do what is right, so that your curve never fluctuates to the point of doom.

Another way of saying this is that there will be good days and bad days, but if you let yourself go, all days will be bad days.