Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Listen to less

Re: Listen to less
November 27, 2007, 05:51:51 AM
Only a fool listens to music more than 2-3 times a week.

That's quite a statement you've got there.

November 27, 2007, 06:28:42 AM
The technical term you're searching for is 'fact.'

November 27, 2007, 06:52:58 AM
Oh wow, and why is that so M. ?

I study in music, must I only study 3 partitions a week or I get dumb ? Oh fuck, I must fucking dumb right now, listening to all that stuff. People must be fucking stupid to enjoy and live sensorial experience.

November 27, 2007, 06:53:44 AM
Consider, for a moment, that it is highly likely that a large number of the musical composers we all revere so much almost certainly listened to music more than two or three times a week.

Everyone knows their own limit, and everyone should be able to sense whether or not they're engaging in neurotic/compulsive/empty behavior, be that 3 or 20 times a week.

November 27, 2007, 07:39:52 AM
The technical term you're searching for is 'fact.'

A personal fact, rather.

November 27, 2007, 07:50:33 AM
No such thing, reality is unitary, and if you don't grasp the truth, it's simply a reflection of the fact that I am way more intelligent than you are.

Duh.

November 27, 2007, 07:58:54 AM
If I'm less intelligent am I allowed to listen to more music then?  ;D

Or alternatively, maybe I'm way more intelligent than you so you cannot follow my lofty ways and you just think otherwise!

November 27, 2007, 10:55:24 AM
Well, i must be a fool then, cos i listen to music more than two or three times a day, let alone a week. I put this down to the fact that i am still growing and refining my taste however. It is all good quality music, and the kind of people mentioned who have headphones even when talking to other people i look down upon as well. But listenning to music is my main hobby, and i plan to do it whenever i can. I will grow out of this and listen in moderation, but not for a few years yet, until i feel i have discovered most of what i need.

November 27, 2007, 04:55:01 PM
elitists,

enjoy the silence.

November 27, 2007, 06:54:31 PM
im a fucking moron, according to False Profit's "logic".

what an absolutely absurd claim. let me mail you a blank tape, im sure youll find enjoyment in it.

chrstphrbnntt

November 27, 2007, 07:57:22 PM
im a fucking moron, according to False Profit's "logic".

what an absolutely absurd claim. let me mail you a blank tape, im sure youll find enjoyment in it.

While it's foolish of him to make such absolutist statements -- perhaps in jest, it's hard to tell whether someone's being sincere or not here -- he has a point, which you seem to miss. You should cherish silence, and avoid musical gluttony.

November 27, 2007, 10:09:29 PM
False Profit, your statement makes no sense to me. It is not the amount of time you listen to music, but how you listen to it. Do you take the time to enjoy the multiple layers that summon together to give life a song? Do you enjoy the sounds? and how the blend together? Do you enjoy the melody and the dissonance?. If so, then shouldn't matter if you listen music everyday, as long as you are able to go through all this. I personally listen music as often as I can, and every time it takes me back somewhere else, this is the way I enjoy music.
Your statement sounded to me like merely an elitist one. But anyway, if that makes you feel somehow superior, then it's all right.
Enjoy your silence...

November 27, 2007, 10:47:02 PM
There is a lot of defensive reaction going on here.

Actually, in almost all of these threads, there seem to generally be two trends.

1. Lazy-minded, sweeping statements about value and truth.

2. Knee jerk defensive reactions to said statements by those who feel threatened by their implications.

Inevitably, any chance for growth and learning is lost in this babble-soup.

November 28, 2007, 02:22:41 AM
This is the point of discussion boards. To grasp what other peoples ideas and feelings are and to evaluate them against your own. That is all you can wish from a discussion board. You cannot seriously expect the anus metal boards to change the world with a single collective ideal... thats just absurd and not natural free spirit. I don't you to agree with this either... its the way it is.

Now my input into the discussion. I find myself listening to music in on/off bouts. Almost compulsively for perhaps a week. Whenever in my room/in the car (not walking around or etc, unless in the city alone).  I find this method of listening quite fitting as the music inspires me to do things in reality I guess. I romantic energy i gain from it and then i go off and do it. An example would be perhaps I listen to some Sacramentum for a period of time (week or so). Then it gears me up/inspires me to get outside and go for a strenous hike... to take the leap of faith from a cliff into the ocean. To get out there on my feet and do something.

I wonder if you understand what im saying.

shadowmystic

November 28, 2007, 02:50:05 AM
I think the False Profit may have been the slightest bit sarcastic with his statement, if not I'm going to ignore it as it seems silly to assume that no one is capable of listening to music more than 2-3 times a week and fully appreciating it.