Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

30's fiction and the spirit of metal

30's fiction and the spirit of metal
November 28, 2007, 01:54:10 AM
The so-called "pulp fiction" of the 1930's is actually the golden era of American popular literature in that the romantic ideals of the populace were expressed in works of fantasy by such writers as H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.
Reading their stories makes me imagine what could be a good metal soundtrack to accompany such epic classics as the "Dunwich Horror" or the Beowulf inspired "Valley of the Worm"
Does anyone on this board read any of those treasures from Weird Tales?

Dunkelheit

Re: 30's fiction and the spirit of metal
November 28, 2007, 03:03:16 AM
I've been meaning to read some Lovecraft. I've only read excerpts here and there but I really liked his writing style and the ideas he wrote about. Which of his works do you think would be best to start with?

November 28, 2007, 06:29:09 AM
This site has most of his stories.

http://www.templeofdagon.com/lovecraft-archive/stories/

The length of them varies from a page to many chapters. I suggest starting with the shortest ones, or whichever title interests you.

November 28, 2007, 08:39:46 AM
I'd reccomend these short stories from Lovecraft: Call of Cthulhu, Through the Gates of the Silver Key, Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, At the Mountains of Madness.

Robert E. Howard's Conan stories: Beyond the Black River, The Hour of the Dragon, Red Nails, Queen of the Black Coast.

November 28, 2007, 10:57:33 AM
http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/lovecraft/html/

Contains a bunch of lovecraft's works(including poems and essays), I believe it's more extensive than what found of temple of dagon site.

Also, I have recently started reading R.E.Howard works as well, so far I read through all "The Hyborean Age" which describes the events that lead to world seen in Conan adventures, and will read further Conan stories.

What I like about these two guys is the fact you don't have any politically correct apologetics and races (espcially with R.E.H.) rise and fall according to their will to understand the world and strive for a better civilaztion, as well as warning of the decadence which awaits to the vain and greedy: when you become too sure of yourself, and oblivous to the facts and to processes nature undertake that brought you about to begin with, in other words what happens if you ignore reality.

Personally when it comes to metal, I don't think any band managed to create a fitting soundtrack or a unique "sound" which illustrates the magnitude of the macabre and adventure found in the efforts of both writers, though I believe Morbid Angel came the closest to that (to the more Lovecraftian side of things).  I'm thinking following and expanding on the themes of both writers can bring about more vigor and content back to metal, should be a really interesting direction to follow.

Ahh yes, when it comes to Lovecraft I suggest to read Azathoth, 3 paragraphs of a story that contain an entire mystical grandure.

EDIT: there is a wealth of stories to be found of Robert Howard in the Gutenberg Project:

http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html
(Scroll down to 'H' to find Howard)