Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tips for a classical newbie

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Tips for a classical newbie
December 04, 2007, 09:00:52 PM
It might not be a bad idea to create a torrent tracker for ANUS. Megaupload and Rapidshare aren't quite the best ways to distribute mp3's and flac's, as they require membership to remove bandwidth limits and links tend to die.

TBSource makes it easy, too.

However, I think this was brought up earlier, and it was stated that ANUS didn't want to depend on people to seed shit in order to make it possible to download. I still don't understand why people don't just use divshare instead of megaupload / rapidshare... maybe a little slower, but links almost never die and there's not bandwidth cap.

December 05, 2007, 01:57:04 PM

Surprisingly no one mentioned Carl Orff, perhaps his Carmina Burana is too well known but still...

I actually had the pleasure of performing Carmina Burana a week ago. Amazing piece but not necessarily "metal". While it is romantic when it comes to tonality, Orff really based the piece on old medieval and Renaissance music. It is a very humanistic piece (probably not in the modern "humanist" sense); it has lots of emotion and power to it.
Btw, no one's mentioned Paul Hindemith nor Dmitri Shostakovitch.      

December 05, 2007, 03:27:43 PM
This thread is proof of why metalheads fail at everything they try.

Stop trying to mention some obscure composer so to make yourself sound more profound. That is hipster behavior.

Start with Beethoven or Mozart, and find out how to appreciate those before trying the weird or third-tier.

chrstphrbnntt

December 05, 2007, 10:43:07 PM

Stop trying to mention some obscure composer so to make yourself sound more profound. That is hipster behavior.

Start with Beethoven or Mozart, and find out how to appreciate those before trying the weird or third-tier.

The only composer I mentioned that is actually obscure is Henry Brant; I specifically stated not to try to delve into esoterica until he's already explored all of the more popular composers. Is it really necessary to be such a dick at every possible opportunity? Perhaps if I said something like "fuck the canon, try these names." your response would be warranted.

(I interpreted your post as directed specifically at me; if it wasn't, I apologize.)

December 05, 2007, 11:20:11 PM
perhaps they recommended me the particular composer because, i dont know....they LIKE THEIR MUSIC?

thats really what i asked for, opinions of others, being that many on this site have much more knowledge than i do.

i thank you for your contribution, aerator, but there is no need for such remarks.

AttheGates1996

December 06, 2007, 12:06:37 AM
I've always liked Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 Allegro con Fuoco. It's the only thing I had by him until other pieces were just recently posted by him. I would definitely suggest Dvorak's Slavonic Dances and Symphony No. 9.

December 06, 2007, 12:32:10 AM

Perhaps you are too afraid of being a 'hipster' yourself so you see everybody else as one and confine yourself to Beethoven and Mozart (which is not that bad but still).

Why is it a hipster behaviour, explain yourself clearly.

December 06, 2007, 03:38:49 AM

There is nothing obscure about anything in this thread.

Settle down, brah... this isn't one of those places where your razor sharp 'put downs' are necessary.