Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Overrated.

Re: Overrated.
June 07, 2005, 12:45:44 AM
Sacraphobic -

I haven't heard the new Deathspell Omega but pretty much every metaller I respect seems to be reccomending it. I look forward to hearing it.

If you're talking about Si Monvementvm..., it's probably the best BM release of the last 18 months at least (maybe that's not saying much). I was slating those who claimed as much for a good half-year until I explored it in more detail and discovered all its subtleties. I still listen to it fairly frequently. They're an intelligent lot too (http://www.theajnaoffensive.com/newsDetails.asp?NewsID=36), their "ideology" is interesting though not on the same path as mine.

The new EP is pretty weak though, I don't recommend it.

Bathory I'd be inclined to say that I may just hate viking metal. I was going to put Skepticism on here but I realized that I probably just hate doom metal also (although I really like Thergothon).

Ever heard Ceremonium or Esoteric? Both very different to Skepticism, and *arguably* the two best bands the doom genre has to offer. I recommend "Into the Autumn Shade" and "The Pernicious Enigma" respectively.

Lot's of people seem to like Deicide's early stuff.. I just don't get it.

I never got into it myself, but I can sort of see the appeal. It was certainly quite important, at least.

Gontyna Kry, referring to when Welowie came out and was pretty popular. At the time I thought it sounded like a bunch of other NS crap and didn't care for it.

Ah, well I think it's quite unique. The composition could perhaps be more explorative, but the gloomy mood it creates is bizarre and immersive.

June 07, 2005, 12:50:52 AM
Haha, you picked out the bands I would leave out.  

"Therion, Sacramentum, Eucharist, ATG"

These bands are unique. Entombed, Dismember, Necrophobic, Unleashed, Fleshcrawl - although I like Fleshcrawl I find these bands fairly boring.

Demigod I think is overrated, I don't see how they deserve such a cult status, but they're pretty good. Amorphis is bleh imo..

I don't care for the Swedish sound much and mainly I'm referring to more generic bands I can't really think of, but you nailed some of them.

June 07, 2005, 12:55:18 AM
Ever heard Ceremonium or Esoteric? Both very different to Skepticism, and *arguably* the two best bands the doom genre has to offer. I recommend "Into the Autumn Shade" and "The Pernicious Enigma" respectively.

Yeah see I like "doomish" Death Metal or Black Metal bands like Ceremonium and Varathron, but I attribute straight doom to bands more like Skepticism which I just don't care for. I don't get the appeal of how slow it is. I like slow ambient but I feel like metal should speed up at some point, like how Varathron phases in and out of slow thematic parts and speedier stuff.

Raubritter

June 07, 2005, 09:41:09 AM
"Absurd besides Facta Luquuntur and the material on the rerelease (just sounds like any other mediocre NS crap)"

Is it really? I thought what I heard off Asgarsdrei was great.

Indeed! The strength of this band is not so much in composition as in spirit.

Demilich is absolutely superb - but overrated.

Nokturnal Mortum - Someone called it 'Circus Metal' and I tend to agree. I simply cannot see what people like about this band.

June 07, 2005, 12:48:28 PM
Haha, you picked out the bands I would leave out.

"Therion, Sacramentum, Eucharist, ATG"

These bands are unique. Entombed, Dismember, Necrophobic, Unleashed, Fleshcrawl - although I like Fleshcrawl I find these bands fairly boring.

Demigod I think is overrated, I don't see how they deserve such a cult status, but they're pretty good. Amorphis is bleh imo..

I don't care for the Swedish sound much and mainly I'm referring to more generic bands I can't really think of, but you nailed some of them.

Ah, but my point wasn't that they're all awesome but that they don't all sound the same. You've kind of shown that by differentiating between them no?

I do think that great music doesn't have to be super different and original. Demigod is solid, that's their appeal. I guess that's the appeal of Fleshcrawl also. I guess the trouble with raving about a solid kinda band is they tend to then be regarded as amazing instead.

otherwise: So far i think esoteric rambles too much. My two fave doomers are Thergothon and Skepticism (their debut album only) as the peaks of two differing styles.

I used to never like the pace of such music, but now the music never feels too slow or deliberately slow like it used to. Thus i don't have that problem of wanting it to speed up.
Conflagrations

Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai dcouvert en moi un invincible t.

June 07, 2005, 08:36:04 PM
I think all I meant about them sounding the same is the trademark Swedish style that a lot of bands adapt, which in the end sounds the same to me. The Swedish bands I noted as "unique" break out of that imo.

June 13, 2005, 03:42:31 PM
Anything by Voivod. They sound more like this post-punk band called Die Kreuzen than metal, and they're good at doing that but lousy if you're expecting to hear a metal band.

If this isn't a troll could you tell me a) how long you've been listening to Metal for,and b) what you expect to hear from a Metal band?

TC

June 13, 2005, 05:17:55 PM

If this isn't a troll could you tell me a) how long you've been listening to Metal for,and b) what you expect to hear from a Metal band?

gah, no shit.  go listen to 'Killing Technology' and 'Dimension Hatross' then tell me they aren't amazing, let alone 'Rrroooaaarrr!!!...'...

June 13, 2005, 06:27:47 PM
"War and Pain" and "RRROOOAAARRR" are like an extra obnoxious version of Motorhead. Cool cover art, though.

June 15, 2005, 04:28:14 PM
"War and Pain" and "RRROOOAAARRR" are like an extra obnoxious version of Motorhead. Cool cover art, though.

The tracks 'War and Pain' and 'Nuclear War' (from the album 'War and Pain') progress the extra obnoxiousness into darker astral boundaries where they forged their own path. "RRROOOAAARRR' I'm not particularly amazed by, but the following three albums (the 3rd of which isn't particularly Metal) and 'Phobos' I still enjoy wholeheartedly and would always recommend to anyone seeking something truly interesting and original (Yr right, the old artwork is the fucking greatest. Away is a true iconic Metal illustrator ala Pushead from back in the day).

Voi Vod Overrated? How about underrated?

(BTW, I have no idea what the last CD sounds like but I understand it it feeble. Oh well....)

June 16, 2005, 10:25:56 AM
Sorry but anyone who isn't impressed with "Dimension Hatross", especially considering the year it came out, is not very bright.

TC

June 16, 2005, 12:07:09 PM
(BTW, I have no idea what the last CD sounds like but I understand it it feeble. Oh well....)

here's what i thought of the preview tracks, and the rest of the album has some better songs on it.  i like it quite a bit, especially since there wasn't much to yell about in 2003.

August 29, 2005, 06:34:15 AM
NO-FUN ,you clearly have no clue what you are talking about,,,War & Pain was way ahead of anything else on its realease in 84'. and live they kicked ass as well.
My guess is that you were still in your diapers back then.

August 29, 2005, 07:20:57 PM
Demilich is absolutely superb - but overrated.

I think you have overrated confused with over discussed.

September 04, 2005, 08:37:44 AM
post-Leprosy Death
Enslaved
most Stoner
most (all?) Relapse bands