Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Relativity

Relativity
December 01, 2007, 01:58:40 PM
A few emails came in this morning about the latest forum drama. Thanks for reporting them but no, I'm not interested.

Let me explain the concept of relativity. You cannot know the worth of an object without a context to which to compare it, which we generally reproduce by serially comparing it to other objects. This comparison is a relative measurement. Understanding that all things can only be defined in the context of other things is relativity.

In that light, consider this: there are two types of people in this world. There are those who want to get submerged in karmic bullshit -- who's eating what, who's earning what, who's in charge -- and those who want to rise above karmic bullshit and create things that are important. I don't consider building civilization to be karmic bullshit, but I consider the drama of a dying civilization like ours to be karmic bullshit.

Most people on metal forums want you to submerge in karmic bullshit. They are, like Ultimate Metal, earning $5000 a month off of you and your friends talking about what metal things you ate that day \m/ or like FMP666, promoting a small business off of you talking about how kvlt you are, or like certain ultra-elitey underground forums, making themselves hipsters who feel like they matter because they have a really important social gig going on.

They don't want you to do anything but keep chattering about crap, and keep clicking those ads, of course. Their goal is not to get anything done. Their goal is to make some kind of profit, emotional or financial, and take it home for themselves. They don't care about you. You are a product to them and they are going to benefit from you, not benefit you.

Our goal on this forum is different. We want to get things done:

DARK LEGIONS ARCHIVE

* Promote natural selection in metal
* Promote metal as art

ANUS/CORRUPT

* Promote a better spirit for modern times
* Promote a better type of society

We do this because we hate karmic bullshit because it wastes time. We believe in living so that life is a creative, beautiful process. We do not care about the people fascinated by shiny trinkets or some piece of paper that says they have authority. We think they're misguided, if not outright morons.

How does this tie into relativity?

Consider the Jenkem user. Jenkem is fascinating because it is raw sewage, fermented and then inhaled, by people who as far as we in the West can tell vomit, hear from their dead relatives, hallucinate and then pass out. And then they take Jenkem again.

A jenkem user is by definition useless not only to society (karmic bullshit) but to anyone else, and to a higher concept of beauty as we have espoused. When a Jenkem user dies, no one notices, except to clean up.

Most people in our society are not much more than Jenkem users, in terms of what they accomplish.

Those who work with us, the staff of CORRUPT/ANUS, are a dramatic contrast: they accomplish a lot, and do so intelligently, and make life better for everyone.

I am certain the following are a waste of time:

* Television
* Video games
* Mass religion
* Democracy
* Movies
* Forum drama
* Egodrama
* The Underground

I consider the following worthy:

* Learning
* Strength
* Socialization
* Political activity

Most people tend toward those activities in the first column, which are designed to increase their level of karmic bullshit, render them harmless and possibly make a profit off of them. I include forum drama under that list.

The activities in the second column are more difficult, but more rewarding.

In a relative sense, most people are Jenkem users, even though they don't huff Jenkem. They contribute nothing. They stay in their karmic bullshit and they like to criticize others because it makes them feel like little kings. They keep using daddy's money, or going to their stupid jobs and using their credit cards, and they think they're so smart for being on top of it all.

At the end of the day, they may be, in a limited sense. By turning off their brains, and getting involved in nothing, they've insulated themselves from the possibility of failing. By not giving a damn about anything other than themselves, they've insulated themselves from feeling bad about the state of things. They've insulated themselves. Yet this is their downfall, because after the end of the day, in the dark of the night, they have nothing to give a shit about and nothing to feel good about themselves for it, and it eats them alive over the course of their lives.

So when you see forum drama going on, and you see us not giving much of a shit, you know why: we see that the karmic bullshit people are trying to convince all of us to be soulless losers just like them, and we've thought enough to know they're the metaphysical equivalent of Jenkem huffers and should be ignored.

We will, as I'm doing now, use this drama as an opportunity do incite people toward more sensible behavior, because that's what writers have done since the dawn of time.

I'd like to open this thread up for replies, of two natures:

1. What changes need be made in the world, in metal, in this forum;
2. What you're going to do that is also effective about this, including how you'll work with us.

Anything else is just chatter for Jenkem sniffers.

Re: Relativity
December 01, 2007, 04:23:05 PM
You included movies and video games as a waste of time... but books can be a waste of time, even learning can be... it's all relative.
Movies such as Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of balance seemed to me as art that shares a message with the viewer therefore they aren't a waste of time, This movie was making a critic through images of the modern society.
I already stated in another post how, in the last issue of Game Developer mag, Mr. Yasuhiro Wada (Managing director and president of the digital contents company within Marvelous) spoke about the paradoxical use of technology to promote a pro-environmental  idea. he said: "Technology is just a tool, just a medium to get the message. It is a bit of a dichotomy, but not contradictory."
I see these as mediums that communicate a message. I'll agree with you that most of it it's a waste of time. But isn't that applied in metal as well? How many bands are a waste of time?

Thing for this forum in order to maintain the integrity, well, maybe to evolve... evolution means to me, in this case, adapting our views and ideology.
I feel many users are quite close minded, and even unidirectional... reminding me a lot of what society is nowadays. Stagnation will follow if we continue in this path.
The poison can be the cure as well...

The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit.

December 01, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Thing for this forum in order to maintain the integrity, well, maybe to evolve... evolution means to me, in this case, adapting our views and ideology.
I feel many users are quite close minded, and even unidirectional... reminding me a lot of what society is nowadays. Stagnation will follow if we continue in this path.
The poison can be the cure as well...

The poison can be the cure? Is that a warning against "your" cure? What does "evolution" mean? Being foolishly open to everyone else's ideas? It is a good thing that many people here are close to THEIR values. It often creates interesting debates allowing members to critically analyze their thoughts. We hopefully all have this in common: to overcome. Evolution is the future, evolution is the past. The present day is you.

I guess death metal black metal (V.J. Prozak possibly, for I am not sure) wrote this article in reaction to the recent posts about Hair, Aliens, CD/DVD Designing and Pimp My Ride. I too feel we simply need to concentrate our thoughts a bit.
Because I am more intelligent than you are.

December 01, 2007, 05:11:37 PM
Again, people in need to go against the person immediately after a post without thinking too much.
What poison our society can become a cure as well.
Technology being often considered as something bad can be a medium to communicate the right messages.
And it seems to me you took the word evolution as in"evolution of the species", please take in consideration the whole sentence before you start a debate, you are simply neglecting all I said after "evolution". I meant in in the sense of evolution of ideology. Seems to me many are quite closed minded, and I'll repeat myself, often with unidirectional views leading nowhere.
Was it a warning? In no way. I got the impression you took me for a big headed here. I was merely expressing my views concerning this forum.
if I come here it's far from wanting to feel superior. If I would like to do that I would go to a mentally lower forum. Then I could easily feel superior. If I come here it is in order to share my views and those of other users so we can discuss them. In many occasions I'm proven wrong, I accept this and learn something out of it. This is a way of how ideas can evolve. I, in no way, hold the truth, just like none of you does. But by sharing what we know, a common goal seems clearer.
The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit.

December 01, 2007, 05:41:45 PM
I would conduct an audit of the Chasm and Metal subforums, exterminating all threads that do not support the metal hall mission statements.

December 01, 2007, 11:46:03 PM
Movies are not a waste of time, it depends on what movie you're seeing. It's like saying music is a waste of time. Even though 99% is bullshit, there is some worth the time. Even death metal black metal has to admit Bergman's movies are genius.

shadowmystic

December 02, 2007, 01:49:08 AM
I spend six days a week reading philosophy, promoting anus, listening to classical music and some metal, and meditating.  Then I spend one day playing video games, listening to hip-hop and getting stoned with friends.  Works for me, I avoid TV altogether as it distracts me for days after I watch it.

December 02, 2007, 03:30:30 AM
I spend six days a week reading philosophy, promoting anus, listening to classical music and some metal, and meditating.  Then I spend one day playing video games, listening to hip-hop and getting stoned with friends.  Works for me, I avoid TV altogether as it distracts me for days after I watch it.

Americans must have pretty boring lives.

AttheGates1996

December 02, 2007, 03:32:11 AM

Indeed we do. I go to college 4 days a week, work 2 days and hang out with friends on Saturdays.

December 02, 2007, 04:12:35 AM

How do you spend your week, then?

December 02, 2007, 04:35:29 AM

Listening to hip-hop and getting stoned... I hope you have at least one friend with whom you can share what you read and listen to. I consider myself lucky to have friends with whom I still can listen to classical music, not to drugs and yet, have great fun!

December 02, 2007, 07:05:50 AM
How ironic that this thread is already crossing into what the initial post was speaking against...

Clean the chasm.

Anyway,
1. Good metal needs to be promoted as a legitimate art form, the shit needs to be ignored and slandered. Duh.
2. I'm going to promote good metal and it's ideals.
  - on the net
  - at university, where theres a decent (read: better) chance of finding some intelligent people.
"It is not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of Men, or for a passing age of the world. We should seek a final end of this menace, even if we do not hope to make one."
 - Gandalf the Grey on immigration

December 02, 2007, 12:41:43 PM
How ironic that this thread is already crossing into what the initial post was speaking against...

Clean the chasm.

Sorry, I got to personal.

Septicemia

December 02, 2007, 04:56:20 PM
Can this message be locked/sticky-ed?

December 02, 2007, 07:05:24 PM
I would conduct an audit of the Chasm and Metal subforums, exterminating all threads that do not support the metal hall mission statements.

I strongly agree with this. The 'Chasm' experiment has proven its point. Just look at the kind of replies even this worthy thread is getting!

I also agree that it should be stickied.

At any rate, here is my contribution. In terms of the kind of changes I'd like to see in the world of 'metal'... Well, first let me say that I don't believe that we can change metal as a whole. I don't think we have the slightest chance of redirecting or counteracting the moronic metal subculture in an all consuming way.

What I do think we can do, and what I think is already occuring (represented by the development of ANUS over the last decade) is that a small minority of metal and metal enthusiasts have shown themselves capable of transcending the traditional limitations of the subculture: fandom, CD collecting, scenester behavior, fashion norms, etc.

This Hessian minority is currently in the stage of becoming aware of itself as a distinct entity/tendency from the majority metal 'scene'. This is a periless stage, in which it can either go 'further' into what I think of as the realm of action, or it can lapse back into the comfortable and familiar behavior of a music subculture, and exist only as a more pompous wing of the metal 'underground'. I hate to reduce it to this kind of dualism, but at this point, 'backwards' and 'fowards' are the only apparent directions.

So, what constitutes 'forwards'?

To go 'forwards' means to become active. To do more than collect, think about and analyze albums... not that this is a worthless activity; just that it is insufficient.

Getting active means recognizing the greater world of ideas that metal relates to, and actively promoting/participating in them. It means expanding, actually, beyond a merely Hessian identity and comfort zone, and taking the world seriously.

Everyone here should understand by now that the spirit communicated in the most worthy metal is one of heroism through strife, of aggression, of seeking and wielding power. Of beautiful, amoral, mighty force and order. It is a music of appreciating life, and actively responding to its challenges and mysteries.

What this all comes down to is that 'forwards' can only mean the radicalization of the Hessian sub-group. It must collectively transform into a politically active, artistically active, spiritually vital community, that takes the battle to the real world (as opposed to trying to win over the 'scene'). We must become a potent force in the cultural war, and support aligned forces in that struggle.