Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Studies

Re: Studies
December 13, 2007, 07:31:29 AM
Currently beginning college with entry level history and classics classes. I will probably major in classics. My primary areas of interest are ancient history, mythology, latin, greek and philosophy. Most of my leisurely reading consists of Greco-Roman classical literature.
"When man attempts to rebel against the iron logic of Nature, he comes into struggle with the principles to which he himself owes his existence as a man. And this attack must lead to his own doom." -Hitler

December 15, 2007, 08:42:36 PM
I'm a senior at the University of Arizona studying philosophy and linguistics. I've had a deep interest in philosophy since I was in high school. I occasionally get a little annoyed with contemporary academic philosophy but overall I've had a pretty good experience with college. I would love to teach philosophy someday.

December 16, 2007, 07:57:24 PM
I simply plan to finish High School (I'm in the 9th grade now, at a phillology class, learning german, french and english, besides Romanian), and do college to get myself a diploma of a professional speaker of these languages, to become a translator.
It's really good, I can do what I want without doing boring paper tasks.

December 17, 2007, 12:38:04 AM
I am currently studying biology and chemistry as an undergrad. I am very interested in biology, in particular, physiology, neurology, and cellular biology. By extension I also like psychology, although I've only taken 2 courses in the subject. I love these subjects, although I independently read certain philosophy authors as well as study music. If only college could last longer and not cost $40k...

December 27, 2007, 12:24:56 AM
The big secret is that school is fun. Your teachers and professors will be burnouts who will labor in strained tones to explain the finer points of Marxist critical theory to you... but since you know that it only makes sense after your first divorce, resurfacing memories of child rape and alcohol addiction, you don't need to worry about that now. Focus on the fun stuff.

You will be either a words/arts person, or a technology/science person, although if you push yourself you can bridge the worlds more easily than you think. There will be required crap. Put in the effort to know it. Then, use common sense. All of the rest of your schooling is extrapolated from the basic shit they tell you in the first five weeks of each big change (middle school, high school, college, gradjuate school).

Finally, have a clue. Everyone around you has everything they could ever want except a clue, so they are going to invent all sorts of social contrivances to hide their awkwardness. Trust me, those girls so self-confidently fucking on the first date have stuffed ponies back on their dorm beds which have pink sheets... it's a tragedy to witness innocence shattered by cowardice, but you will see it aplenty.

And you will see idiots fry themselves with drugs and alcohol or taking Marxism too seriously. Laugh at them, and tell them you how like your burgers now. In another ten years, you'll be able to jerk off on their faces and hand them fifty bucks and they won't even whine to their beret-wearing friends.

Just keep sailing a straight course for knowledge and joy. Wreckage will accrue. Laugh at how little you notice. You're here to build the future, not pry others from the deathlike past.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh