Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Studies

Studies
December 04, 2007, 12:33:43 PM
I am curious as to what others here are studying. I am currently undergoing the study of Francesco Canova Da Milano, one of the best lute players the world has ever produced.  I am totally awed by his genius and implore everyone to give his works a chance to play. They increase your awareness of the guitar in such a way.

I will share with you my goals, as to the kind of person I am. I am trying to instill that lost sense of learning and wonder in that has been lost to time. Needless to say, I focus on the Italian Renaissance.  I value what my forebearers have to done to this beautiful country in Italia. And as to the negative, we must also value it for the teachings it brings.

Maybe some of my teachings are not quite up to par for this board, as some things I do believe different, but for the most board I have the core values instilled by my own nature.

Grazie

Re: Studies
December 04, 2007, 06:28:35 PM
My main objective in life is to become self-sufficient. I intend to finish college (CEGEP), enter university, then perhaps get in the Army Réserve. I shall also get some specific jobs in order to learn essential skills to live self-sufficiently.

As a result, when I will reach 27 or 28, which is ten years from now, I will be able to live for 1 or 2 years in the woods, alone, with the necessary skills and something to think about. It is an experience I am really looking forward to.

I also have the intention to study some more after the life in the woods.

December 04, 2007, 06:48:21 PM
Basically my only goal is to do research in quantum mechanics. Hopefully I will get a chance to work at a particle accelerator. I intend to get a doctorate in theoretical physics and perhaps some degree in mechanical engineering. Several fields interest me including chemistry, botany, and medicine. It is possible that I might study one of those as well, although perhaps not formally.

December 04, 2007, 07:42:58 PM
While I'm majoring in philosophy, I'm not taking any intensive classes yet, just a stupid intro class. On my own, I've been reading Proust's In Search of Lost Time (fascinating, if you can maintain interest in it) and reading up on Gustav Mahler. I have many recordings of his work, a book of primary documents regarding his life, and the score of his 5th symphony. Over winter break I plan to read more philosophy, probably Kant. I've been putting off reading the Critique of Pure Reason for a while now.

December 04, 2007, 07:43:32 PM
I'm doing Law and Politics at college (in Great Britain). In my spare time I read about WW2 and ancient Britain and Ireland.

I intend to get heavily into politics at some time in my life to change this mess, instead of hiding behind music, science or trees ;).

Dunkelheit

December 04, 2007, 09:02:16 PM
I am studying Anthropology and wish to pursue a career in Archaeology. I'm very interested in European Pre-History. I'd also like to study modern pre-industrial societies. All that being said, I'm still not completely sure what I'll be doing. There's obviously other things I will be doing in the meantime, and to do any serious work I will probably have to go to grad school, which before and during I have thought about maybe working for some non-profit organizations. Currently though I've just been going to school, but plan to go to some field schools during the summers over the next few years. They're pretty cheap in Eastern Europe, so I've thought about going there.

December 04, 2007, 09:36:16 PM
DrGrowl's ambitions are similar to my own. I would also love to become self-sufficient and i have already taken the initiative of joining the army reserves to gain what skills i can from there. Studying the local botany and acquiring bush knowledge will be instrumental for this goal.

As of now i have started taking an interest in philosophy and hopefully over the course of the year become well read in major philosophical works.

Overall, as lame as it sounds. I would honor being a great father, given the opportunity that i find someone exceptional.

December 04, 2007, 10:13:14 PM
I'm a junior at Berry College, in Rome, GA, with three semesters to go before graduation.

I mostly chose the school for its large, beautiful campus (complete with many miles of woods and hiking trails) , excellent value of cost:quality of education, and its perfect distance from the tumult of Atlanta (about an hour and a half by car), which is the southern U.S.' only real hotspot for metal shows (unless you consider Florida to be a part of the South; I don't).

My major is English, with a concentration in writing. I also have a music minor, which has given me a decent grasp of western music theory/history. Next semester I start taking classes in music composition, which I am very much looking forward to.

December 05, 2007, 12:37:45 AM
I'm actually studying human sciences at my CEGEP (thanks Quebec governement for that shit) to move on to music. I've been playing music for a while now, I just need to find my primary instrument and stick to it. Hesitating between violon (I was playing when I was a kid, need to relearn), classical guitar (the instrument I'm the best so far) and piano (the instrument I'm trying to learn right now). I plan to go to university and become a conductor.

December 05, 2007, 03:37:02 AM
I'm currently pursuing my doctorate in chemistry, specifically in the area of organometallics for synthetic organic methodology.

December 05, 2007, 05:16:54 AM
I'm wading through an ocean of stupidity at my local community college. Here I "study" the politically correct propaganda and demi-information they bombard me with, while accumulating credits with which I will transfer to what is hopefully a higher level of education, in order to pursue an academic career in philosophy, psychology, history and political science.

My intentions for this academic career are to exploit my position as a professor to introduce the ideological perspectives that have been swept under our society's rug back into the university environment. I would like to provide myself as a resource for those few who find themselves realizing, "Wait, something's not right here..." in response to the liberal humanist propaganda they will be facing.

I also hope to use any academic clout I can manage to accumulate to assist organizations like ANUS and Corrupt.org to the best of my abilities, as well as any aligned organizations and individuals.

When I am not busy studying the absolute bullshit offered by my present academic institution (I have to take Multicultural Training as a prerequisite to an assosciates degree, at the moment) I study information that isn't based in a desire to escape from reality and make money. Right now I am re-reading Francis Parker Yockey's "Imperium", which I regard as a flawed but essential text for anyone who recognizes the organic continuity of the West and wishes to preserve it from internal decay and external conquest. I am also reading Carl Jung's autobriography, which is excellent and seems to actually be a remarkably easy way to understand the basis of his various theories.

December 07, 2007, 12:37:27 PM
Very excited to see some active minds. This is one of the ways that we can show others that not all those who listen to metal are  braindead!

FORZA HESSIAN!

December 07, 2007, 01:28:46 PM
My full-time studies concern biology, applied ecology, biochemistry, and basic physics, all in the context of higher-level education methodology. In my free time I pursue several interests mainly concerning the geology and palaeontology of the Mediterranean area (which will be the basis of some rigorous scientific publications in progress), as well as some aspects of the history of philosophy.

In the near future intend to open up more to 'anthropological' themes especially as regards European prehistory and medieval/ renaissance art.

All of this is vast, of course, but life is far too short to waste in non-productivity, idleness, getting drunk and the lot. In addition, if anything fails to work out or to arouse my interest anymore it's good to have a choice of alternatives to fall back upon.

December 07, 2007, 11:01:26 PM
Two years into a PhD in electrical engineering focusing on autonomous robotics.  That takes much of my time, but I do read a bit of classic literature.  I own this used encyclopedic set of great western literature because I hate reading electronic books; so I'm starting with ancient Greek poetry and philosophy and moving forward from there.  I really enjoy math and science, so I can't wait to get into the likes of Galileo, Newton, and Huygens :)  You could say I "study" other art, such as paintings and music, though informally.

Anyway, once I have the PhD I intend to work in industry for a while, using the income to buy some nice rural land to live on and have a family free from the corruption of modern society.  I'd like to reduce my ecological footprint by exploring renewable energy sources, not driving anymore, and not buying anything disposable that is not also recyclable (I'm close but not quite there yet).  I have a desire to teach at the high school level once I have more life experience, any subject, anything to produce more critical thinkers in the world.

Self-sufficiency would certainly be a worthwhile pursuit, perhaps I find the will to break permanently free from a car, computers and the internet, too!

December 08, 2007, 04:53:22 PM
I might be the black sheep of this forum, how nice. heh.
Well, presently I'm studying 3D Art and game design in Montreal. I already got a BAC in arts. And also a small technical diploma in sound design, (which is worthless hah). My  ideal for the future,  is to eventually be able to use technology in order to make a difference. To me, these new mediums are the 'weapons' of mass 'education'.
Just like the user before me, I don't drive for ecological reasons.