Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Merry Christmas

Re: Merry Christmas
December 07, 2007, 01:24:51 PM
You are close, I'm a Croat from Herzegowina, and we're not yet notorious for christmas rampage psychopatic shopping spree that currently happens in Croatia (they are starting to turn into decadent consumers like others). We are more traditional, relaxed community, but that's unfortunately starting to change for the worse.

On sundays it is a custom to work less and rest (I guess that comes from the bible when god rests on sunday and so should we), but it is not regulated by law; people are used to relax on sundays, it has always been like that, as the elderly people say...

December 07, 2007, 01:37:50 PM
The intensely Christian/ 'conservative' community I form part of ensures that Christmas remains a time for taking a break from an otherwise very hectic academic lifestyle and contribute more fully to the demands of family, friends and the natural environment.

Unfortunately the American syndrome mentioned in the post above mine is taking root as well, but old habits die hard, and life here has yet not ceased to have meaning for many.

Happy Yuletide!

December 08, 2007, 04:09:41 PM
This year, I'm going to celebrate at our local mosque because if we're going to pick an Abrahamic religion, I want the most violent one I can get.

Christmas should be a time for AK-47s over a roaring fire, hand grenades hanging from the tree, suicide vests wrapped in gay packaging for the kids, and extensive feasts at which we toast our ancestors who died fighting the infidel.

December 08, 2007, 04:27:13 PM
This year, I'm going to celebrate at our local mosque because if we're going to pick an Abrahamic religion, I want the most violent one I can get.

Christmas should be a time for AK-47s over a roaring fire, hand grenades hanging from the tree, suicide vests wrapped in gay packaging for the kids, and extensive feasts at which we toast our ancestors who died fighting the infidel.

Who against who you said? My ancestors? Nice... then let's celebrate Christ'capitalist'Mas that way.

It is going to be really fun. Heh

Can I decorate a pine tree with some "believers" heads?

December 08, 2007, 04:32:59 PM
I don't see how the majority can avoid Christmas if they come from a Christian family. Personally, i rarely celebrate anything because it isn't logical to me since ambition and invidualism is a pile of Oprah bullshit. However, I must attend Church at Christmas, meet up with the familly etc... I dare not mention to any adults my opinion on religion in general, even if i plan to commit suicide a day after.

December 08, 2007, 04:43:27 PM
At a very young age I was put into a Christian school. Ironically, none of my family members are Christians.  In fact, the decision was taken due to the fact the school had a good educational level.
At the beginning, (I'm not scared to say this), I was into religion a bit, but after a while, and specially after I started getting more and more into mythology, science and philosophy, I became rebellious. Not in a violent manner. I simply started arguing with my the teachers about the possibility that religion was purely an human concept, and that god didn't really exist.
If you don't believe, and if you hold a position when it comes to what you belief, you should definitely show your view to others.

My wife is from a Muslim family from Morocco. When I met her, she was a believer in what she thought, was the right thing for her. But with logical arguments and clearer ideas I came to show her other possibilities. I never imposed my view as being the "truth". But simply showed another possibility.

And concerning Christmas, we simply don't celebrate it. Not like most families do. For us (me and my wife) is a time in which we simply get closer after an hectic year.

December 08, 2007, 05:51:02 PM
Christmas in the non-christian-but -affected by globalization  nations is a pile of capitalist bullcrap lapped up by hipsters. Last christmas I was busy enjoying Massacra and Demilich(and maybe a bit of alcohol). This time, something else.

December 08, 2007, 06:05:18 PM
Actually any excuse to have people round for a feed, I love cooking and love having my family and friends around. Christmas is the perfect opportunity as it is the only time of the year everyone is off work at the same time. So in a sense I don't see it as a 'celebration', just family time.

AttheGates1996

December 09, 2007, 04:14:51 AM
I dare not mention to any adults my opinion on religion in general, even if i plan to commit suicide a day after.

I 100% know what you're saying. I was once a Christian then slid to an atheist. If my parents found they would cry for the rest of their lives. I respect them to much to sadden them and make them worry for me the rest of their lives.

December 09, 2007, 09:26:59 AM
Actually any excuse to have people round for a feed, I love cooking and love having my family and friends around. Christmas is the perfect opportunity as it is the only time of the year everyone is off work at the same time. So in a sense I don't see it as a 'celebration', just family time.

Precisely. It was a religious tradition with pagan roots turned into a shop-fest. The event is unavoidable so just make the best of it that you can and try to influence as many people as possible while you're doing it.

December 09, 2007, 11:45:59 AM
Actually the most precise characteristics of what Christmas really mean to people were shown to me when I saw poster inviting people to come to see Great Christmas travesty party.

December 09, 2007, 01:39:03 PM
Well, my family aren't christian, we celebrate it out of habit and cos everyone else is. There's nothing wrong with having a good time, whatever the excuse is, but i don't wanna lie to myself and otehrs about what we're actually celebrating. Where i come from the religious element is all but gone for most, and it is a chance to shop and buy, and everyone kinda gets  a it crazy. (i live in the UK)

December 09, 2007, 08:52:20 PM
In the US, Christmas is being replaced by "the holidays", something that people of all religions and beliefs can celebrate (spend money). To Christians, this is a travesty, but to hipster "religious atheists", it's great because now they can be let in on the fun (get belligerent drunk at the office christmas party) without feeling guilty.

They really needed another excuse to spend money and get wasted?

Keeping it Christmas might have preserved just a little bit of the cultural integrity, but seeing as how the United States is dominated by Christians, it's unlikely.

Nobody even mentioned the plastic Christmas trees. Hundreds of years from now, a small group of primitive people will look back on their ancestors with confusion and shame, and they'll have the still-intact plastic Christmas trees to prove it.

AttheGates1996

December 10, 2007, 02:02:55 AM
In the US, Christmas is being replaced by "the holidays", something that people of all religions and beliefs can celebrate (spend money). To Christians, this is a travesty, but to hipster "religious atheists", it's great because now they can be let in on the fun (get belligerent drunk at the office christmas party) without feeling guilty.

They really needed another excuse to spend money and get wasted?

Keeping it Christmas might have preserved just a little bit of the cultural integrity, but seeing as how the United States is dominated by Christians, it's unlikely.

Nobody even mentioned the plastic Christmas trees. Hundreds of years from now, a small group of primitive people will look back on their ancestors with confusion and shame, and they'll have the still-intact plastic Christmas trees to prove it.

I agree with a lot of this. More and more people are becoming atheist or questioning Christianity simply because they want to go screw some sluts or man whores.

I also agree that Christmas is slowly becoming commercialized, but luckily at a younger age I saw more of the actual spirit of this time of year... this is why I'm happy with memories from the past.

Also, I don't understand why atheists complain about hearing Merry Christmas but don't expect it to insult the majority of the U.S. to not be able to say and hear Merry Christmas. It should be the thought that counts, but now it's a bunch of fags starting drama because they don't want to follow the morals associated with Christianity which supports my above statement.

December 10, 2007, 09:29:05 PM
it's a bunch of fags starting drama because they don't want to follow the morals associated with Christianity which supports my above statement.

I believe that if it would be celebrated properly, Christmas would be a very respectable holiday. Its true values and objectives seem to be family rejoicing, resting and meditation. I think how this vision does not fit with people behaviours is what is being debated here, not just "a bunch of fags dramatizing".