Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why was there no German black metal movement

Admittedly I'm relatively new to black metal and I can't speak academically about black metal or even music in general, but there is something amazing about VVorld VVithout End to my ears.  I guess I'm easily tricked.
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!

Re: Why was there no German black metal movement
December 09, 2008, 09:41:00 PM
Germanys Black Metal Underground is slowly growing, but there are too much people that prever thrash & death stuff. Furthermore the new -core shit is very favoured. Even in the greatest metal-magazines there are mainly reviews about bands like "Sonic Syndicate", "In Flames" or "Cradle of Filth". But more and more black metal bands come into being. The problem is that many germans are averse to the whole NS stuff.Moreover the misanthropic lyrics reminds many people of the hitler-era.(For example the euthanasia)  Even for the metalians its a tender subject.
But there are some bands that dont care about that. For example there is "Endstille". They are celebrating War and on evry cover theres a bombing scene or war machines..etc.

Another german examples:

Aaskereia
Aeba
Helrunar
Dornenreich
Eisregen
Nargaroth
Xanathrop

i don't want to quantify these bands, because it depends on your taste, but you should listen to nargaroth and endstille, they are the big thing in germany

December 10, 2008, 04:33:42 AM
Germanys Black Metal Underground is slowly growing, but there are too much people that prever thrash & death stuff. Furthermore the new -core shit is very favoured. Even in the greatest metal-magazines there are mainly reviews about bands like "Sonic Syndicate", "In Flames" or "Cradle of Filth". But more and more black metal bands come into being. The problem is that many germans are averse to the whole NS stuff.Moreover the misanthropic lyrics reminds many people of the hitler-era.(For example the euthanasia)  Even for the metalians its a tender subject.
But there are some bands that dont care about that. For example there is "Endstille". They are celebrating War and on evry cover theres a bombing scene or war machines..etc.

Another german examples:

Aaskereia
Aeba
Helrunar
Dornenreich
Eisregen
Nargaroth
Xanathrop

i don't want to quantify these bands, because it depends on your taste, but you should listen to nargaroth and endstille, they are the big thing in germany

Everyone has personal taste.  On that note, I'm neutral.  Some bands on that list are reasonable, decent, even very good.

On another note, however, personal tastes aside, there's a problem with Nargaroth and Endstille.  They're popular in Germany's black metal scene because they make black metal, like everything else in the mainstream, into a digestible product.  They are, by far, THE WORST two black metal outfits in Germany today.

My problem with Endstille is they try too hard to sound like Gorgoroth and tend to have rather left-wing emotions and sympathies, as well as feelings of "German guilt" following after the Second World War.  Ironically, they have a paradoxical fascination with the subject of war.

Nargaroth are 110% pure black metal comedy.  They're not even a real, serious-minded black metal outfit to begin with.  In fact, Rene "Kanwulf" Wagner of the band admitted that he did the project out of boredom and just for fun on a local German TV-talk show.  In other cases, Kanwulf blatantly rips off riffs from Burzum, Gorogorth and Immortal, as well as imagery and aesthetics.  I highly suggest you check this website:

http://nargaroth.shaddai.name/en/#Release-Dates
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

December 10, 2008, 04:39:48 AM
Secrets Of The Moon

Some other more "raw" German black metal bands worth mentioning on the subject:

Odal
Magog
Seeds of Hate
Winterblut
Satan's Blood
Azaxul
Morkriket
Nåstrond
Insignium
Vargsang
The mind is a product of the brain; the soul is a product of the choices that brain makes. Nothing is equal; in physics, they refer to a state of equality as "entropy."

December 10, 2008, 11:11:47 PM
the vocalist of endstille hates with his eyes. you know what i mean if you see them live.

Kanwulf is mainly a peace of crap, but i like his "Black Metal ist Krieg"

well germanys underground should improve, but we have already very enjoyable black metal festivals. and i think in america theres nothing that you could compare with it, or am i wrong?
for example: storm of destruction, wolfszeit, ragnarök, hellflame, way of darkness etc.

December 11, 2008, 03:53:47 AM

well germanys underground should improve, but we have already very enjoyable black metal festivals. and i think in america theres nothing that you could compare with it, or am i wrong?

the one big thing we Americans have going for us is the Maryland Deathfest. which this year looks to be incredible.

but at least where i live, there are not many black metal shows.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

December 11, 2008, 07:04:46 AM
Australia has all those shitty War Metal bands.

What about bands like Nazxul, Astriaal, Darklord, Gospel of the Horns, Destroyer 666 and so on.
There has been a few decent bands besides the "War metal" (By this I take it you mean bands like Bestial Warlust etc. Correct me if I am wrong).
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

December 11, 2008, 10:37:08 AM
I looked up these festival in the internet. I think there are a handful good bands, but  115$ are too much.

Whats up with concerts?

Blodkult

December 11, 2008, 07:43:54 PM
Australia has all those shitty War Metal bands.

What about bands like Nazxul, Astriaal, Darklord, Gospel of the Horns, Destroyer 666 and so on.
There has been a few decent bands besides the "War metal" (By this I take it you mean bands like Bestial Warlust etc. Correct me if I am wrong).

These bands are fairly good too - I'm a personal fan of Destroyer 666.  However, we're mainly talking about German black metal bands in this thread.

These above bands are Australian.  Again, I'm not saying they're bad, but I thought we were discussing German bands.

December 12, 2008, 02:26:12 AM
These bands are fairly good too - I'm a personal fan of Destroyer 666.  However, we're mainly talking about German black metal bands in this thread.
These above bands are Australian.  Again, I'm not saying they're bad, but I thought we were discussing German bands.

Point taken..I just thought it worthwhile to mention there was more than just "War Metal" bands from that country.
Carry on.
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

December 14, 2008, 04:28:51 PM
All German black metal bands seem really bad. It's like they want to be power metal, but try black metal instead. Secrets of the Moon? Um... LOL.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

December 15, 2008, 05:48:33 AM
All German black metal bands seem really bad. It's like they want to be power metal, but try black metal instead. Secrets of the Moon? Um... LOL.

listening to their MySodomy right now. all but one of the tracks is absolutely terrible. sounds like new age-y goth stuff.

the lone older track is pretty good though. im liking it. gritty sounding melodic BM. perhaps ill investigate the album that its on.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

December 15, 2008, 01:38:05 PM
Things the German black metal movement needs to do before I take any notice and listen to any of these dozens of bands that have been mentioned:

1. Write music decent enough to earn distinction from some of the luminaries on this forum
2. Destroy holocaust memorials
3. A few murders
4. Stay off the internet

Parts of this post may be a joke.

NHA

December 25, 2008, 05:41:56 PM

World Without End has some solid songs, but like someone mentioned, its basicly drone with flashy transitions - good for the situations that warrant it.

Winterblut : Grund Gellenkunst has a couple of good ideas on it, but overall as an album, it falls short - nice use of the hi-hats and bass guitar without trying too hard to be jazz though.

Shame their follow up album sucked bad heh.

December 25, 2008, 06:18:55 PM

World Without End has some solid songs, but like someone mentioned, its basicly drone with flashy transitions - good for the situations that warrant it.

yeah I really thought WWE was pretty great the first few times around.  But I've come around to ASBO's opinion of Katharsis.  It just doesn't stand up to repeated listens.
I live in my own place
Have never copied nobody even half
And at any Master who lacks the grace
To laugh at himself, I laugh!