Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Man Who Planted Trees

The Man Who Planted Trees
December 19, 2007, 04:28:04 PM
No so long ago I saw a short animated film by Quebec resident Frederick Back (Born in Germany). The animation was based around a short story by Jean Giono. A tale so deep in significance is rare and this is why this Jean Giono's text struck me.

"The Man Who Planted Trees" is the simple story of a man who found no other way to reach happiness than by seeding happiness himself. In all its simplicity, the text carries some of the greatest ideas of humanity. The happiness of Aristotle for instance seem to have been of great influence while portraying the "man who planted trees" as a shepherd makes the Christian influence obvious. It also comments present human condition towards happiness and derides bureaucracy.

Anyhow, I suggest you to read it and get your own opinion about the text.

It reminds me of a quote from Kazantzakis:
"I said to the almond tree, 'Friend, speak to me of God,' and the almond tree blossomed."

English translated version
http://home.infomaniak.ch/~arboretum/man_tree.htm

Original version in French
http://home.infomaniak.ch/~arboretum/pla.htm

Re: The Man Who Planted Trees
December 21, 2007, 08:05:24 AM
That was undoubtedly one of the most inspiring things I've ever read.

December 25, 2007, 05:31:46 AM
compelling and uplifting to the soul.

December 25, 2007, 12:08:33 PM
Fucking saccharine, christ-like, individualistic, save the one good principle of integralism that a land is its forest and an organic, Gaian thing.

February 04, 2008, 05:31:22 PM
At Indonesian have a true 'tree man'. His hand and leg not like normal human.. but like a tree..

February 06, 2008, 02:37:09 PM
What a beautiful read, realy inspering. Makes me warm inside the tought of hoping that there are realy such people in this world. Thank you so much for posting this.

February 06, 2008, 03:17:17 PM
That was one of the better short stories I have ever read. Thank you for posting it.