Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Reign In Blood

Reign In Blood
December 20, 2007, 03:17:40 AM
Slayer has always been a band that I don't listen to as often as other classic bands, but one that I respect. I mostly listen to the first three albums as those appeal to me the most.

However, I'm beginning to foster dislike for Reign in Blood by Slayer. It seems to me that Slayer had lost some of their musicianship in the making of that album. The only good tracks in it, IMO, are Angel of Death and Raining Blood. The rest of the songs are merely speedfests with no artistic meaning or value.

Perhaps I'm missing the magic of the album, for I have a bad habit of doing that with classics. It could be because I am listening for the wrongs things. I didn't enjoy Ildjarn the first couple of listens and, after a few weeks of spins, it is now my favorite band. I admit that my opinion is not infallible.

Basically, I'm asking how you feel about it. I see that the review of it is missing from the Slayer review page, so I have no clue about the general consensus on this site.

Thanks.

Re: Reign In Blood
December 20, 2007, 11:41:40 AM
Despite several notable stand-out moments, I thought RIB was rather overrated even when it came out. The ever more overblown reputation it has gained since has mystified me for years.
I always considered "Hell Awaits" and "Haunting..." the height of Slayer's creativity and influence.
So you'll get no argument from me.  

December 20, 2007, 01:52:38 PM
Since South of Heaven's release, I have considered Hell Awaits Slayer's pinnacle achievement. On a bell graph, their performance over time would resemble an ideal capacitor's rapid charging to peak followed by a gradually declining energy discharge. Or, short steep curve on the left with a long gradual decline on the right like viewing a vertical slice of seaside mountain range.

December 20, 2007, 06:20:31 PM
I always thought that Slayer was best when recorded live. If you ask me which album I would say is their finest I'd probably say "Live Undead" or "Decade Of Aggression". No they are not hyper-skilled musicians and they do not add plenty of useless stuff to their live performances. But this is what makes those recordings great, they play their material in the raw form, and no other form fits more Slayer. As for Reign In Blood, well, I don't want to be nostalgic, but I discovered Slayer with it so I like it very much. I think Reign In Blood is a example of genuine metal intensity, perfectly produced.

December 20, 2007, 08:47:49 PM
Angel of Death and Raining Blood the only good songs? I like Altar of Sacrifice a whole lot better than those two, because it seems more complete: it has a proper introduction and conclusion and doesn't repeat itself too often. I'm curious what your basis is for your statement that the other songs have no artistic value?

December 20, 2007, 10:42:59 PM
I always thought that Slayer was best when recorded live. If you ask me which album I would say is their finest I'd probably say "Live Undead" or "Decade Of Aggression". No they are not hyper-skilled musicians and they do not add plenty of useless stuff to their live performances. But this is what makes those recordings great, they play their material in the raw form, and no other form fits more Slayer. As for Reign In Blood, well, I don't want to be nostalgic, but I discovered Slayer with it so I like it very much. I think Reign In Blood is a example of genuine metal intensity, perfectly produced.

I don't know; perhaps they perform better when they know they're being recording or WERE good live because I saw them live a few years ago and was mighty disappointed. They, especially Tom who seemed to of had no voice left, seemed to of had absolutely no feeling at all. I would not want them to dance around with a rock star's persona, but to me they just seemed half asleep. I hope that concert was significant because I would definitely still see them in concert if the opportunity came up again and would hope for a better performance.

December 21, 2007, 06:12:59 AM
Reign in Blood is like a rush of blood to the head - its fast and its short. It is a joy to listen to the entire album at one go.  I like the album as a whole and the individual songs as well. I think its much simpler in nature than Hell Awaits though.

December 21, 2007, 12:12:14 PM
Reign in Blood is like a rush of blood to the head - its fast and its short. It is a joy to listen to the entire album at one go.  I like the album as a whole and the individual songs as well. I think its much simpler in nature than Hell Awaits though.

I agree.

December 21, 2007, 04:06:57 PM
RIB is probably my favorite album of all time. it's responsible for opening up a plethora of extreme music to a certain oblivious 15 year old.

December 21, 2007, 04:43:46 PM
I don't think claiming RIB to be a gateway album into extreme metal is an appropriate argument with regards to the album's quality. But at any rate, I still do find it to be a good album but in a different sense than I did when I first listened to it some 6 years ago.

December 22, 2007, 02:13:31 PM

I don't know; perhaps they perform better when they know they're being recording or WERE good live because I saw them live a few years ago and was mighty disappointed. They, especially Tom who seemed to of had no voice left, seemed to of had absolutely no feeling at all. I would not want them to dance around with a rock star's persona, but to me they just seemed half asleep. I hope that concert was significant because I would definitely still see them in concert if the opportunity came up again and would hope for a better performance.

True, since the mid-90s, Araya has been changing/losing his voice. I saw them in 2006, they had one weakness and it was Araya's voice.

December 22, 2007, 04:15:49 PM
However, I'm beginning to foster dislike for Reign in Blood by Slayer. It seems to me that Slayer had lost some of their musicianship in the making of that album. The only good tracks in it, IMO, are Angel of Death and Raining Blood. The rest of the songs are merely speedfests with no artistic meaning or value.

I think the other songs are good, but, like on South of Heaven, it's intended you listen to the album as a whole so the middle stuff is mostly verse chorus with a few proggy walkbacks and intros.

December 23, 2007, 12:52:25 AM
The beauty in Reign in Blood is that it doesn't really test your patience.  Its very easy to listen to all the way through every time, but still has the musical value to be enjoyable.  Some may argue that this depreciates the value of Reign in Blood, but they'd be wrong because it causes you to do exactly what I think Slayer wants you to do; listen to the album front to back every time.
I'd probably agree that Raining Blood and Angel of Death are two of the strongest tracks on RIB, but there is definitely plenty more to enjoy there.  Its kind of brief, but that itself kind of adds some mysticism into the equation.  The individual songs aren't going to continuously elaborate on ideas, but they are quick, to the point, purposeful, and the riffing is solid.  I think the album as a whole is relevant enough to send the same message as eight 3-4 minute tracks, though.  I'm not sure what my favorite Slayer is, but its probably either Reign in Blood or Haunting the Chapel.  Both are brief but great.

Also, I agree that live Slayer recordings are better than studio.  In some cases its the energy or presence, and in other cases its the fact that the live recordings have better production than the dated studio recordings.  I love the live chemical warfare track on Soundtrack to the Apocalypse Disc 5.

December 23, 2007, 01:40:43 AM
It includes some of my favorite metal lyrics also, notably in "Angel of Death" and "Piece by Piece". "I'll rip your flesh till there's no breath, dismembered destiny", that is great hessian poetry.

Divus_de_Mortuus

December 23, 2007, 09:38:35 PM
There has always been a misunderstanding of Reign in Blood (and South of Heaven) from a segment of the metal community that does not get what the points of those two albums were. Slayer did their art a service by not trying to duplicate their formula for any of their first five releases.

Reign in Blood and South of Heaven were both specifically designed to explore deeper into singular elements of Slayers sound, almost concept albums. By far the most directly hardcore and skate-thrash influenced of their early work, RiB is comprised of short, blisteringly fast songs and a more hardcore like riff attack(often confused for a decline in creativity when compared against the more epic, classical structures of Hell Awaits) In this, it's execution is very similar to the attack of early grindcore.  

South of Heaven finds Slayer purposely slowing down and developing around their distinctive melodic style, with heavy doses of influence from 70's metal like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, thus making the albums have a more laid back, rockish flavor (which is again confused with a lack of creativity)

If RiB was an attempt on the sound barrier influenced by the Dirty Rotten LP and the speed of the previous two albums title tracks, then South of Heaven was influenced by Sad Wings of Destiny and the dark sounds found in songs like "At Dawn They Sleep", and "Raining Blood".