Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal versus rock

Re: Metal versus rock
January 13, 2008, 10:26:47 PM
Back to the topic....

In the original posting the quote really understates
the importance of Deathmetal.
Saying it became "protest music" is not the way i would explain it. The writer most likely does not know anything about the genre.

January 14, 2008, 12:49:07 AM
Back to the topic....

In the original posting the quote really understates
the importance of Deathmetal.
Saying it became "protest music" is not the way i would explain it. The writer most likely does not know anything about the genre.

I take it you haven't heard Cancer or Serpents of the Light era Deicide or any of the many also ran death metal bands who sent thousands of cd's to the landfill chock full of whining about Christians and pedophiles and corporations.  Fuck that.

January 14, 2008, 07:02:14 AM

I take it you haven't heard Cancer or Serpents of the Light era Deicide or any of the many also ran death metal bands who sent thousands of cd's to the landfill chock full of whining about Christians and pedophiles and corporations.  Fuck that.

While many bands and many albums from bands who contributed to the development of the genre fall under your categorizations it is unfair to drag the many death metal acts who avoided such a fate into your scorn. I fail to see how the Karelian Isthmus and a Slumber of Sullen Eyes or Nespithe become what was originally quoted, "boring protest music".

January 14, 2008, 11:24:38 AM
I thought he was trying to say it started as the ultimate realization of what metal was originally aiming for, but then became boring protest music as new ideas started to dry up. Deicide is the perfect example of this, with their first two albums being nothing short of seminal, then running out of steam and becoming "boring protest music".
In a state of permanent Abyss

January 14, 2008, 12:37:54 PM
and those that took the other path, simply became irrelevant.
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

January 15, 2008, 01:36:27 AM

No shit? Nobody likes melodic death metal? Not one person? That would mean that there aren't any guitarists on the forum (since all REAL guitarists know some classical theory and technique AND employ it).

What's the focus then? Black? Brutal? Technical? Brutal Technical? Nu? Classic? Folk? Stoner? Power? Nintendo? Industrial? Hate? Hair? Pump? Must I attach a "-core" to the end of my genres here? (For the love of all that is based on reason and beauty, don't tell me I've fallen into an enclave of Slipknotters and Cannibal Corpsers). Are ALL genres of metal represented here, only some or just one?

If you're gonna hack on bands at least have the common God-damned courtesy to present your own tastes for MY derision. Please. (Not that it would necessarily be derision, I like several of those other genres as well.)

As for the "wrong place" part, uh, I'm in my freaking living room with a nice buzz, listening to metal and hanging with my wife and my cats. Feels like the right place to me, Panchito.

Why wouldn't you answer your own question by doing your own reading on this website?

The bands reviewed through the Heavy Metal Resources, are for the most part, the bands which this website has given relevance.

January 15, 2008, 03:21:51 AM

He's right. This forum is a baron wasteland for attempting to explore anything new... whether it be “mainstream” or “sell-out.” It seems that the people here are just as guilty as greenday fans for deteriorating music. All music has its qualities, but no one here looks past the genre and/or popularity to actually study it.

Thats quite the generalization you have there. If we take what you said to be true then cannibal corpse should be the favorite among all death metal acts here due to it belonging to the New York death metal scene which is close to many hearts here and their record sales are among the highest for all death metal acts. I believe their sales even exceed that of any of Morbid Angel's albums. Yet they are a band that attract only scorn here.

Or if we take the inverse and show callous and hatred to all popular albums it does not explain the mostly universal enjoyment of Rein in blood, Altars of Madness or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

People from this site try to discern the worth of bands from their artisitc output rather then the praise a band may receive or the genre that this act may come from. This even goes to if the praise comes from this site. Ive seen people argue the validity of Burzum here. The thing that differs most between regular attendants of this site is what comprises "artistic quality." There have been people here who have proclaimed their disdain for Suffocation, or In the Night Side Eclipse from the Emperor discovery.

Nothing is sacred here so long as one can present ones case in a logical and concise way with as little insults as possible (which should be none). This sadly does not happen often enough and arguments that could have been helpful become little more then an arena of taunts and insults.

JJ

January 15, 2008, 04:20:39 AM
All music has its qualities,

This is the general rule of modern society, which happens to produce the most degenerate culture in history.

January 15, 2008, 07:42:14 AM

He's right. This forum is a baron wasteland for attempting to explore anything new... whether it be “mainstream” or “sell-out.” It seems that the people here are just as guilty as greenday fans for deteriorating music. All music has its qualities, but no one here looks past the genre and/or popularity to actually study it.

one can only deteriorate music by praising mediocre shit and helping it drown out any true artistic visions the next generation might have in favour of the scene-obscessed comercially viable alternatives.

January 15, 2008, 07:30:24 PM

one can only deteriorate music by praising mediocre shit and helping it drown out any true artistic visions the next generation might have in favour of the scene-obscessed comercially viable alternatives.

If that is so, then one can also help stop deterioration by avoiding labelling music as wholly 'mediocre' and instead identifying the genuine artistic visions, if any, that are buried within the modern scene.

There is no thick black line separating the good artists from the bad. If there's any weakness of the posters on this forum, it's their tendency to find every fault with the less accepted bands while prasing every aspect of the classics ad nauseum.

January 16, 2008, 01:22:30 AM
What More Celt Then Sassenach said is what i was trying to get at. you could not tell me that you think Demilich, Gorguts and Atheist are boring protest music.
But the writer of the blog does not mention it was good.

January 19, 2008, 11:17:30 AM
If that is so, then one can also help stop deterioration by avoiding labelling music as wholly 'mediocre' and instead identifying the genuine artistic visions, if any, that are buried within the modern scene.

Wait, this makes no sense.

If praising the good is important, so is identifying the bad.

If it will avoid offending religious sensibilities, we can lable it as "Not 100% bad - just bad enough that I don't want to make my time wasted hearing it."

January 19, 2008, 08:20:36 PM
Schumann said that if one only praises the good they only do them a half favor, thus needing the criticism of the bad to support the good.

January 22, 2008, 10:33:00 PM
Good point.

I think even more, our idea should be to show reality as it is. Some music reaches higher than others. Well... why do we care about the failures, when we have great things to reach for?

Rock music is dead-end to me. It's verse-chorus, driven by hookish rhythm and complementary tones, a very dead and cyclic genre. Blues song structure (I-V-IV-I transposed), pentatonic (non-keyed, color notes of diatonic scale) and the verse-chorus-bridge idea is a stale concept designed to be sold as a product.

Metal and hardcore rebelled against that because they saw it was a red flag waved in front of a bull, a false front, a sad lie that consumed the youth of listeners and leaves them with no meaningful culture.

February 10, 2008, 01:47:32 PM
you could not tell me that you think Demilich, Gorguts and Atheist are boring protest music.

I don't think anyone would say that, but some might say the later Gorguts is too postmodern and barely listenable.

ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh