Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Our Animal Brothers

Our Animal Brothers
January 14, 2008, 04:09:14 PM
As there ever been a animal that you have valued for more than just a standard pet?

I had such a pet. A half wolf half husky mix that my dad found in the woods.(I know this sounds wild but it was true I was there that day!)

I was 8 years old when this happened and I will never forget what he has told me to this day. I enjoyed walks in the woods.  I am 27 years old now. He was my protector and my brother as well.

Re: Our Animal Brothers
January 14, 2008, 09:00:39 PM
Dogs are by far the most trusted companion a man can ever have; if treated with love and respect, they will never betray you and will prove invaluable in whatever duty you assign them to perform (if you train them properly, that is). Dog is a man's best friend and that is absolutely true from what I have seen and heard from other owners (I unfortunatelly don't have a dog because I live in a small flat, had I lived in a countryside, I would definately get a dog)

January 15, 2008, 01:18:44 AM
My dog recently passed away. It was the first real death in my life that truly affected me. In short, dogs are not only pets, but great friends as well.

Cherish them, if you happen to have one.

JJ

January 15, 2008, 04:27:03 AM
Taking care of animals in a man-made habitat they're used to (a school of fish, reptiles) and observing their behavior is more productive than most anything I've done with humans.

January 15, 2008, 05:34:25 AM
It seems like as a whole, people with dogs (can't make a statement on other animals, I'm afraid), are generally more warm-hearted and outgoing. I used to have three dogs until my family moved to this apartment. Damn shame.

January 15, 2008, 07:18:14 AM
i can respect people that are kind to animals and such, especially in a world where they are dominated and tormented by a renegade mutation of a chimpanzee (humanity). but i think having 'pets' is just an extension of that human domination of the animal world and overall it's something i don't want to be associated with.

January 15, 2008, 08:07:20 AM
Animals lack many of the qualities that we define as human. An understanding or appreciation or music (least of all the effort to create it), visual art, a language that does not come from genetic agitation (as in howling). But many higher forms of life (higher referring to intelligence) display strong human like emotions. Animals, having no comprehension on the human condition make great friends and companions because they still have the capability to produce all the staples of a good relationship, but without being effected by our current society. Therefore pets (capable of human level emotions) are as good as their owners.

Dunkelheit

January 15, 2008, 01:53:41 PM
i can respect people that are kind to animals and such, especially in a world where they are dominated and tormented by a renegade mutation of a chimpanzee (humanity). but i think having 'pets' is just an extension of that human domination of the animal world and overall it's something i don't want to be associated with.

I somewhat agree, but it is possible to have a symbiotic and not exploitive relationship with an animal. It usually leads to coevolution. If overdone it creates animals that depend on humanity to live. If there is abuse, it is obviously not a healthy relationship. Also the Chimp and Man share a common ancestor, they are not directly related. So you need to work on your misanthropic insults a little bit.

Canines definitely pair well with humans. For hunting and protection they can be indispensible. A dog also benefits from the shelter, stable source of food, healthcare, and companionship a human provides.

January 15, 2008, 07:00:47 PM
Dogs attack and disrupt rare birds nests on the marshes where I live. Likewise, cats kill rare species of mice. Fuck pets.

January 15, 2008, 08:19:13 PM
Dogs attack and disrupt rare birds nests on the marshes where I live. Likewise, cats kill rare species of mice. Fuck pets.

You are probably speaking about feral individuals, not actual pets. Owning pets entails the responsibility to reduce the animal's impact on local ecology, which is what most carnivore owners don't realize.

January 15, 2008, 09:09:27 PM

You are probably speaking about feral individuals, not actual pets. Owning pets entails the responsibility to reduce the animal's impact on local ecology, which is what most carnivore owners don't realize.

Then you need to keep the dog tied up with a rope attached to you when he is allowed outside of the house, and the cat kept indoors at all times.

January 15, 2008, 11:41:39 PM
Most people can't take care of pets. The city I am in kills 30,000 of them a month because dumb people bought them, then figured out how much work it was, and were like OMG WTF KTHXBYE to the pet.

dogs / cats are often nicer and smarter than people

January 20, 2008, 10:28:17 PM
Taking care of animals in a man-made habitat they're used to (a school of fish, reptiles) and observing their behavior is more productive than most anything I've done with humans.

I agree with your last statement. Watching animals socializing (monkeys especially) shows that we're nothing but animals ourselves. Yet I have come to one conclusion. I think that the difference between 'us' and 'them' is that we know one day we'll die. I wonder if some animals are aware of this...

chrstphrbnntt

January 21, 2008, 09:29:17 PM
Dogs are great because you can count on them to show a sort of unconditional love to their masters.  They will never talk behind your back, or even be sarcastic.  They seem incapable of being cruel.  It makes you wonder why human beings just can't behave the same way.  This may be because human beings are seen as the 'alpha male' in the dog-human relationship.  When in packs, canines fight for dominance on a physical level.  In this way, perhaps dogs can be mean, and by the same token dominance of one of the other is the reason why human beings often treat each other poorly.

Your comments bring to mind Diogenes of Sinope, Plato's foil; he praised the dog's virtues and gave "cynic" a new meaning.

"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels."

Diogenes was particularly upset by extravagant and lavish interior decorations, and at one rich man's house, on finding himself surrounded by expensive carpets and sumptuous cushions, Diogenes spat in the owner's face, and then wiped it with his rough cloak and apologized, saying it was the only dirty place in the room he could find to spit.

Diogenes said that there was one only good, namely, knowledge; and one only evil, namely, ignorance.

One day Diogenes shouted out for men, and when people collected, hit out at them with his stick, saying, "It was men I called for, not scoundrels."

On one bright, clear day, Diogenes was walking up and down the market place, holding a lighted lantern high in front of him and peering around as if searching for something. When people gaped and asked him what he was doing, he replied, "I am looking for an honest man."

At a feast certain people kept throwing all the bones to Diogenes as they would to a dog. He played a dog's trick and urinated on them.

Diogenes was walking backwards across the Agora, affecting a studied indifference to all who laughed at him. Finally, when he had collected a large following he stopped and announced, "You are laughing at me walking just a little distance backwards while you all lead your entire lives arse-about... and what's more," he asked, "can you change your way of living as easily as this?" Whereupon, he turned on his heel and walked off in normal fashion.

JJ

January 22, 2008, 01:00:33 AM

I agree with your last statement. Watching animals socializing (monkeys especially) shows that we're nothing but animals ourselves. Yet I have come to one conclusion. I think that the difference between 'us' and 'them' is that we know one day we'll die. I wonder if some animals are aware of this...

I've heard stories of typically out going dogs intentionally avoiding humans moments before they die, so I assume dogs can sense their immediate death. Perhaps they can smell death like they can smell fear. But dogs aren't aware of time nor can they plan for the future, so they know their fate only when it's close.