Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bach Festival 2008 -- Rome, Georgia

Bach Festival 2008 -- Rome, Georgia
January 15, 2008, 10:18:16 PM
With the holiday break finally over, I got back to school today to a welcome surprise: this week, my school will be hosting their third annual Bach festival.

Details:

We hope you will join us for a weekend of beautiful and inspiring music enhanced by the historic beauty of the Berry College campus in Rome, Georgia; just an hour north of Atlanta.

This year we are pleased to present a wide variety of Baroque pieces performed by outstanding college faculty and chamber musicians from around the state. The Bach Festival Weekend is a jointly sponsored project of Berry College, Shorter College, and the Rome Symphony Orchestra.

Audiences this year will enjoy the opportunity to hear oboe, Baroque flute, modern flute, and the recorder. We  are featuring original and modern woodwind instruments with performances of the Concerto for Oboe and Violin, the beautiful flute solos of the Orchestral Suite #2, a concerto by Telemann for recorder and Baroque flute, and also a trio sonata by Handel for recorder, gamba and harpsichord. Trumpets and French horns will join us for the celebratory sounds of Handel’s Water Music and Bach’s Orchestral Suite #3 as we conclude our presentation of the four Orchestral Suites by Bach.

Our cantata this year will feature an ensemble of selected voices from the community and local college faculty members. Chorus master Matthew Hoch, of Shorter College, will prepare them for their performance of Cantata #157, “Ich Lasse dich nicht”.

This year we have added two special events to our series of concerts. Both of these are free and open to the public.  On Thursday, January 17, at 7:30 p.m., our esteemed conductor, Steven Byess, will present the Evans Lecture on the music of Bach. Don’t miss the exciting recital/lecture by Daniel Pyle on Friday afternoon. He will present and discuss selections from the Goldberg Variations and will also instruct demonstration students from Shorter and Berry College in harpsichord playing and technique.

Event Schedule
***All events take place on the Berry College Campus***

Thursday, January 17, 7:30 pm
Evans Lecture Hall- No Charge

Steven Byess: Evans Speaker Series Lecture
“Intellectual Depth and  Artistic Beauty:  The  Music of Johann Sebastian Bach.”
A presentation of the Evans Speaker Series

Friday, January 18, 3:30 pm
Ford Auditorium—No Charge

Daniel Pyle:  Recital/Lecture
The Goldberg Variations and the Art of the Harpsichord

Saturday, January 19, 7:30 pm
Ford Auditorium-Tickets Required

Bach: Orchestral Suite #2 in b minor BWV 1067
Amy Porter~flute

Bach: Suite #3 in C Major, BWV 1009
Annie Camp~cello

Handel: Sonata in d minor for recorder, HWV 367
Jonathan DeLoach~recorder

Bach: concerto for Oboe and Violin, BWV 1060
Lara Saville Dahl~oboe, Angele Sherwood-Lawless~violin

Handel: Water Music Favorites HWV 348-350

Sunday, January 20, 3:30 p.m.
College Chapel-Tickets Required

Bach: Selected Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Daniel Pyle~Harpsichord

Telemann: concerto in e minor
Jonathan DeLoach~recorder, Catherine Bull~ Baroque flute

Bach: Cantata #157, “Ich lasse dich nicht”
Brian Nedvin~tenor, Matthew Hoch~baritone
Peter DeWitt~Organ

Bach: Orchestral Suite #3 in D Major, BWV 1068

Tickets and Packages
Tickets may be purchased at:

Rome Symphony Orchestra Office 706-291-7967 (and other outlets)
Rome Area council for the Arts (RACA) 706-295-2787
Berry College and Shorter College
And at the door

Tickets are $20 per concert ($10 for students with i.d.)
Set of tickets (one to each concert) $35
Set of tickets for students $20
These concerts are not appropriate for most children under age 8
No infants will be admitted
(Seating is general admission).

If there's anyone else in the Georgia/Tennessee/Alabama area, I'd highly recommend checking out the festival; it's been excellent the last two years.

If necessary, I might even be able to provide lodging for anyone who doesn't mind sleeping on the floor.

Re: Bach Festival 2008 -- Rome, Georgia
January 15, 2008, 11:41:08 PM
Heck, I'd visit if I lived as far as Charlotte. This sounds like an excellent festival! Relatively inexpensive, as well.