Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Success with $1.27 of CD-Rs

Re: Success with $1.27 of CD-Rs
January 18, 2008, 05:13:51 PM
Yeah the mixolydian mode is basically just a C major scale that starts on the V instead of the I (G instead of C).

Or in laymen terms, it's what you get when you play all the white notes on the piano, starting at G (that means there are no sharps or flats; which is how a lot of hymns and Christmas carols have been written).

In other words, the mixolydian sound is far-removed from what most of us think of as "metal."

January 19, 2008, 11:09:21 AM
I don't think it should mention Hegel.

January 19, 2008, 02:07:46 PM
I don't think it should mention Hegel.

Or Kant. In fact, that description sounds more Nietzschean than anything else. Not sure about Schopenhauer.

January 20, 2008, 03:00:42 AM
Just make sure you have the ANUS URL and I also think it's important to mention the Audiophile section in case they want more (or just so they can see how much of this music there is).

January 20, 2008, 03:34:11 AM
"As with the majority art forms derived from heavy metal music".

Should be "As with the majority of art forms derived from heavy metal music." This or an apostrophe next to the word majority.

January 21, 2008, 09:30:21 AM
The whole sentence is better off without the reference to these silly philosophers.

January 22, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
The whole sentence is better off without the reference to these silly philosophers.

I agree; I was simply trying to make it sound less vague than "German philosophers."

Revision 1.1:

Underground Metal

for non-metal people

Active most prominently from 1983-1993, underground metal—comprised of equal parts hardcore punk, heavy metal, progressive rock, and industrial—formed a subculture that, in contrast to most artistic movements, resisted the concept of modern society. Explicitly Romantic in its leanings, it idealized heroism, nature, and the wistful realism of mortality.

As with the majority of art forms derived from heavy metal music, most underground metal is Nietzschean in its acceptance of the means of power as beyond mortal, and through its worship of what is powerful, creates thunderous, foreboding sound. Using the powers of distortion (and other means of electronic manipulation), heavy metal took rock music into new dimensions; its power chords are at home in all keys and modalities, and thus, lend themselves to composition in melodic phrases, creating a narrative type of song-structure that evokes some of the songwriting models prevalent in classical music and the ancient Greek modes.

1. Incantation – “Blasphemous Creation”
2. Deicide – “Holy Deception”
3. Morbid Angel – “Rapture”
4. Demilich – “The Echo”
5. Godflesh – “Like Rats”
6. Immortal – “Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss”
7. Burzum – “Det Som Engang Var”
8. Enslaved – “Midgards Eldar”
9. Ildjarn – “Eksistensens Jeger”
10. Hellhammer – “Triumph of Death”
11. Summoning – “Kortirion Among the Trees”
12. Darkthrone – “En Ås I Dype Skogen”

Death metal asserts that “only death is real,” reminding us that, whatever our moral or financial pretense, life has inherent limitations, and thus, we must find meaning in how we spend our time—we must find higher ideals than keeping up with Family Guy quotes and Dane Cook jokes. Black metal took this concept further with its praise of the “evil,” “amoral,” anti-Judeo-Christian nature of Paganism. Both genres criticize modern society for creating a fantasy world of morality, money, popularity, and equality, in which the finer aspects of nature and humanity go unrecognized. In this music, then, we hope that our listeners find some connection to that world which society continues to deny: the world where only death is real.

2008 / Corrupt.org / ANUS.com

January 22, 2008, 12:58:30 AM
Actually, I like the allusions to German philosophers and Romantic artists. Point out that this genre didn't arise in a vacuum and isn't yet another incomplete, error-prone instant philosophy.

January 22, 2008, 12:59:38 AM
Or Kant. In fact, that description sounds more Nietzschean than anything else. Not sure about Schopenhauer.

Kant - the idea of a perceptual filter. Important.

Schopenhauer - concept of idealism and deprecation of society's praise of itself.

Nietzsche - Schopenhauer + Kant (intuition).

Those make sense. Hegel? The progressive view of history? Errr.... no.

January 23, 2008, 01:29:13 AM
I hate to be a jerk, but if you got those files up on Bit Torrent and talked them up on the forums, you could get 1,000 or more people to download them.

You're unlikely to hand out more than 100, and most people won't even hand out one.

Sorry to intrude with painful reality. Mention me in your emo suicide notes.

chrstphrbnntt

January 23, 2008, 02:02:46 AM
I hate to be a jerk, but if you got those files up on Bit Torrent and talked them up on the forums, you could get 1,000 or more people to download them.

Yes, but this thread is about culturally strengthening local communities.

January 23, 2008, 02:43:36 AM
Yes, but this thread is about culturally strengthening local communities.

Let's talk/do about what is most effective? Local or widespread, doesn't mean a shit, it's what makes change that counts.

January 23, 2008, 06:24:58 AM
While Onan may have a point, it's rare that you can really change anyone's opinion about music on the internet as everyone is so stuck-up about their own. Everyone's too busy pushing their opinion onto yours. It may be easier to reach other people on the internet - but it's easier to influence a specific some-one when your recommendation isn't coming from a random stranger on a forum. And yes, you're also helping your community as opposed to some random Cradle of Filth loving teenager who has nothing to contribute to anyone.

January 23, 2008, 11:03:53 PM
While Onan may have a point, it's rare that you can really change anyone's opinion about music on the internet as everyone is so stuck-up about their own. Everyone's too busy pushing their opinion onto yours.

That's why we benefit from the consensus of having this longstanding review site behind us.

That's why people form civilizations.

January 27, 2008, 01:43:55 AM
Most death metal has too many tempo changes to work out to properly. You need something simply rhythmically or less "hectic".

Reign In Blood

A little thought on CD-Rs: How about a Classical compilation. I think it would be more attractive to many people, especially the ones not wanting to "dig through noise". I am telling you this because I think that making it official (like the ANUS non-metal folks compilation) with a selection, is better than just an amateur looking CD.