Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Shining is morbidly overrated

Shining is morbidly overrated
January 23, 2008, 03:16:55 PM
For some odd reason, this band is deeply hailed in the underground metal community, even by Ildjarn listening purists. I fail to see something great about this band, it has experimental moments which sound more like generic pop (Kvartforth mentioned he listenes to Dido, Muse and Madonna), which would explain much.

chrstphrbnntt

Re: Shining is morbidly overrated
January 23, 2008, 05:02:16 PM
Have you heard Strid? Excellent black metal band. Shining ripped them off quite a bit. Kanwulf stole one of their riffs. I always cite them when shit bands such as those are mentioned; they seem to have spawned a boatload of rotten imitators.

Here's'a link (password: rulodeth) to their demo and sole EP. A new compilation with unreleased material came out this year, but most of the new material kind of sucks.

January 23, 2008, 08:15:03 PM
Thanks, but my question is why do Shining get the attention of smart individuals (In a similar way how Necrophagist can get very smart death metal fans which would otherwise listen to Gorguts, for example...)
Oh, by the way, did you mean Kanwulf of Nargaroth or Kvarforth of Shining?

January 23, 2008, 08:45:00 PM
Since when do Shining get the attention of smart individuals?  I've always seen them bashed for their attention-grabbing antics (such as Kvarforth's faked suicide), moronic attitude (suicidal BM, glorifying helplessness), and derivative music.

January 23, 2008, 08:48:44 PM
Too many bands are overrated and more will be as populism takes over black metal completely. Ignore the hype and stick to the classics which never disappoint. Better still, branch into that music which has endured for centuries since it was conceived.

January 24, 2008, 11:53:13 AM
For some odd reason, this band is deeply hailed in the underground metal community, even by Ildjarn listening purists.

I noticed the same thing. It's "pretty good" just like Negura Bunget, but nothing to write home about.

January 24, 2008, 04:06:54 PM
The same reason all those "kvlt" scenecunts love their Silencer, Xasthur and Leviathan: it makes them feel better about their failures in life. The typical nu-BM scenester has very few hobbies or beliefs (fatalism anyone?), so he likely doesn't grasp how Burzum and Mütiilation are excellent while Shining and the like flop. The easiest way to see through these empty charades is to look past the aesthetics and composition, and simply just get a "feel" for what the music subconsciously expresses. Sadness for sadness' sake, worthlessness for worthlessness' sake, pity...

Not to mention their music is a piss-poor spin on even Black n' roll. If their move is to inject Rock into BM, they truly don't see it the way the progenitors saw it.  It was once a climb up the hill; anything else is artistic regression.

January 26, 2008, 03:32:08 PM
The same reason all those "kvlt" scenecunts love their Silencer, Xasthur and Leviathan: it makes them feel better about their failures in life. The typical nu-BM scenester has very few hobbies or beliefs (fatalism anyone?), so he likely doesn't grasp how Burzum and Mütiilation are excellent while Shining and the like flop.

There's also a lot of listening to it because it's metal, and others talk about it, and not thinking too hard about how it fits into the bigger context.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

January 27, 2008, 08:12:04 AM
Also, ALL SDBM (moar liek BDSM, amirite?) sound like Burzum, from Xasthur to Shining to Leviathan to Forgotten Tomb to a Nyktalgia, Nocturnal Depression and many others (the last one sounds EXACTLY like it, think of exhorder/ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?). But they will never admit they're ripoffs.
Also, some of these bands say Nargaroth is one of their influences, which is clearly a failure.
I tried to like it, most of them are clearly not worth it.  

January 31, 2008, 01:29:16 AM

January 31, 2008, 09:56:42 AM
Since when being a homo became part of the black metal ethos?

No wonder why I felt deeply appalled by Shining's music from even before. Now I start to realize why anus dubs all this 'new' BM as emo.

January 31, 2008, 10:12:52 AM
Shining = the new wave of AIDS infested BM.
Maniac = Billy Idol + Boy George of new BM.
Even Chuck would be appalled!
Firmly entrenched in Chucks butt!

January 31, 2008, 03:44:58 PM
this won't help anything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqMemuKaK0

Same attitude as 50 cent.
Maniac looks like a retarded old priest.

January 31, 2008, 07:35:29 PM

More like Marilyn Manson I would say.

It's sad to watch how culture fall. How early achievements of something that was unique not by shallow pretense, but in essence, are now ruined even by its creators.
Classical<------------------Metal----------------->Ambient

February 01, 2008, 12:55:29 AM
Maniac looks like a retarded old priest.

Was that Maniac of Mayhem? Wow is all I can say.  So when did homosexuality become grim, kvlt, and evil?